Method of Painting??

ghifarihanif

Hi guys!

i am new to the world of RC airplanes, can you guys tell me if i can airbrush a fiber glassed foam? if i can't, what method should i use to paint my fiber glassed foam airplane? :confused::confused: Help me please

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If you have glassed the foam then it is a simple matter of priming with the type primer recommended by the company that produced the glassing you have selected and then finish painting according to the primer used. As far as I know most standard auto-body primers should work but you may want to consult Willsonman as he is our resident guru on finishing planes with Epoxies and resins and such.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok I will assume from the added comments here that the foam is not glassed as previously thought from the original post.

You can paint the bare foam with a little bit of prep work with various methods and types of paint. You can also paint the "glass" when that has been applied and properly prepared. However painting the foam and then glassing will make the colors very dull or even hide them completely.

So to avoid confusion and possible misdirection. Please tell us what foam you are using to build with as I am now assuming it is not the foam board sheets we are used to discussing like with the speed build kits. Next we need to know what type of "glass" you are speaking of. Are you doing a full on cloth and epoxy resin type fiber glassing or are you merely using a urethane coating or similar "clear coating"

Once we have those added details we can all be on the same page and get you more appropriate information to help you do what you wish to do.

ghifarihanif

I am sorry if i sound annoying, after all i am still a newbie, by the way, the foam i am using is a styrofoam...
and the glassing method i am using is cloth and epoxy resin.. so how am i going to paint my plane???

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Painting will be done after the glass work and final sanding. Use the primer recommended by the resin manufacturer and paint with finish air brushing as you plan for final coloring and markings. There are videos on you tube university on how to prep surfaces for painting as well as how to primer and prep for finish painting if you are in need of a functional how to. Painting is an art and requires a stable technique that can only come with practice. The primer coats and finish sanding before final paint is key to really nice work but for our hobby unless you are going to scale competitions then a rattle can job is usually good enough as we ding things up a lot.