Mighty Mini Mustang... 1st ever foamy build

Coopers87

Hi what size foam board did you lay out your plans on, trying to get the full scale plans printed and need to know the size foam it needs, have two boards of A1 hobby-craft 5mm foam board waiting In the wings if that’s what you used.
Lee

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
One sheet of A1 foamboard, I printed on A4 sheets, trimmed and connected together using double sided tape.
Then I cut out roughy around the parts needed and arranged them on the sheet, when happy that they all fitted I lightly applied some spray on mounting adhesive to fix them down. I then cut directly through the stuck on designs.

DMC RC

DMC RC
Got round to painting the Mustang. A basic style that looks nice, will get some star decals next time I'm at the model shop to add.
View attachment 107427

Caroline :)
Looking awesome! :cool:

Another method of getting more detailed graphics like roundels on the plane would be printing them on paper. This may not look as good as a decal but it offers a lot more options and is simpler. I used this method on my mustang for the roundels and fin flash:
IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Broke the motor yesterday, looks like the tiny grub screw that holds the bell casing on let loose. Will have to fit a new motor, no big deal. Was its first flight on 3S and it's a blooming rocket!!!!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I'm really jumping back into this RC with both feet. have one tricopter nearly complete, another in build and.... as I might as well use that fourth motor that I bought in a bundle for the tricopter, I'm building a mighty mini Mustang - printed out the plans cut all the board and stated on my 1st ever scratch built foamy.
It's coming along nicely if rather messily, the foamboard easily available in the UK is 5mm and the paper really doesn't like being peeled off LOL! Managed to burn myself with napalm - sorry - hot glue, a couple of times. What can I say? It's a learning curve :)
Anyway, I've go to here...
View attachment 106229

Dreaded top deck to do!!!

Caroline
Caroline,

I have observed that you have stated that you have difficulty or problems removing the paper from FB type that you are using. From your and past posts from others in the UK it is apparent that we in AUS use a very similar FB with the same strong paper to foam bond.

Anyway a while ago I did a number of posts which were about my experiments in decreasing the weight and increasing the strength of FB builds here, (in AUS), using our heavier and stronger FB.

For information on the most useful method to remove the paper from the FB please see:- https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/quick-tip-involving-the-new-foam.32740/#post-329044

I hope you find it at least interesting and perhaps useful.

Have fun!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Caroline,

I have observed that you have stated that you have difficulty or problems removing the paper from FB type that you are using. From your and past posts from others in the UK it is apparent that we in AUS use a very similar FB with the same strong paper to foam bond.

Anyway a while ago I did a number of posts which were about my experiments in decreasing the weight and increasing the strength of FB builds here, (in AUS), using our heavier and stronger FB.

For information on the most useful method to remove the paper from the FB please see:- https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/quick-tip-involving-the-new-foam.32740/#post-329044

I hope you find it at least interesting and perhaps useful.

Have fun!
I will be trying that method for certain! Hope it works as well on the foamboard here!
Thank you.