Mighty Mini Twin Boom

I love the look and style of twin boom airplanes. I wanted to shrink the FT bronco, but after a little bit of AutoCad, I ended up putting two planes together. I used the wing from the FT Mini Mustang, extended 1 inch, and a modified fuselage from the Mini Ft-22.
20180109_142904.jpg

PLANS
For the time being, only available in full size (22X34 ANSI D)
Page 1
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eiUO2EIR7yoKed_K261cJeSPLT_yeNqS
Page 2
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1u-o1fm1STlyC1Wu2MXZNdh2D39Wv_tof

The Build Is very simple and straightforward.
Wing - Build exactly the same as the Mini Mustang. My Version Does NOT include any Di-hedral, however you can still add it, but it is so stable it is not needed. Be sure your servo extensions/"Y"-cable is securely attached to the servos BEFORE gluing the fuselage to the wing! If they come unplugged, it is nearly impossible to get them plugged back in.

Fuselage - Again, Builds exactly the same as the Mini FT-22. Included in the plan is a small piece that acts as a cover on the rear of the fuselage, under the power pod (Not pictured). Also, there is a long flap of paper which attached to the fuselage which is optional, but just adds a nice look (Pic below. Yours is longer, this build was before my final drawing). Remember, have your extensions securely attached BEFORE gluing wing and fuselage together!
20180109_190314.jpg

Booms - Be sure to mark which boom is left and right, as they are marked on the plans. They utilize a simple "B" Fold. Included is a cover piece for the bottom of the boom, it is longer than needed so you can trim the foam and use the paper to have a nice finished look (see pic above). Be double sure to test fit them and make sure they are parallel. If they are not, switch the sides.

Elevator - Simply glues to the booms, and the vertical stabilizers glue to that.

NOTES:
The aileron servos mount exactly like they would on the Mini Mustang. The elevator servo is up to you. I did not include a cut out or markings in the plans so you can decide for yourself where you would like to mount it, based on your set up. I installed mine on the top flat of the wing, almost directly above the C.G. (see pic below).
20180109_190409.jpg
Now comes the hardest part of the whole build. Bending the Elevator Push rod. Its not really that difficult if you go slow and take your time. As you can see from the picture below, a few bends to clear the prop and run it alongside the boom, using a few zip ties to act as guides. This can be frustrating making sure its all lined up, so take your time and use small adjustments.
20180109_194338.jpg
20180109_194355.jpg

Throws can be set using the Mini Mustang Throw gauge, and even on the "High" Side, it is not over reactive or twitchy, but is very responsive and acrobatic. I found that I liked a few degrees more of elevator throw than the 16 (i think) Degrees from the mini Mustang Gauge. With an 800Mah 3s tucked all the way up front, it friction fits nicely between the nose spacers in the nose and will balance perfectly.
Thats it!

Electronics: Power Pack "F"
My Set up as tested
Motor: Emax 2205 2300kv
ESC: 15 Amp BlHeli TrackStar
Battery: 800Mah 3s@30C
Receiver: OrangeRx 6Ch Lite
Expo: 20-30%
Beginners should use 30%.

Its actually a fairly fast build once cut out, and is a surprisingly durable frame. Version 1 had a few cartwheels, one resulting in a broken boom, which with out tape or glue (was curious to see how it effected it) still flew and almost didnt even notice the flapping boom in the wind. Final build version before plans had a full speed nose dive (went inverted and lost orientation while doing low pass) and well, all the pictures in this post are of that airframe (thats why the squishy looking nose). It would still fly perfectly If i plugged it back together. I crashed hard enough it literally unplugged my esc and servos from the Rx, and all 3 motor wires from the esc, and she looks like i barely bumped the ground.

Firewalls, Control Horns, and other cool 3D printed parts for your scratch builds:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2751719
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2740764

I hope you build one and love flying it as much as i do!

I certainly can and will as soon as the weather permits! Imagine a slower mini mustang that can slow down and be floaty, but can also be fast and snappy. I impressed even myself lol

Sotm

I love the look and style of twin boom airplanes. I wanted to shrink the FT bronco, but after a little bit of AutoCad, I ended up putting two planes together. I used the wing from the FT Mini Mustang, extended 1 inch, and a modified fuselage from the Mini Ft-22.
View attachment 100260

PLANS
For the time being, only available in full size (22X34 ANSI D)
Page 1
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eiUO2EIR7yoKed_K261cJeSPLT_yeNqS
Page 2
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1u-o1fm1STlyC1Wu2MXZNdh2D39Wv_tof

The Build Is very simple and straightforward.
Wing - Build exactly the same as the Mini Mustang. My Version Does NOT include any Di-hedral, however you can still add it, but it is so stable it is not needed. Be sure your servo extensions/"Y"-cable is securely attached to the servos BEFORE gluing the fuselage to the wing! If they come unplugged, it is nearly impossible to get them plugged back in.

Fuselage - Again, Builds exactly the same as the Mini FT-22. Included in the plan is a small piece that acts as a cover on the rear of the fuselage, under the power pod (Not pictured). Also, there is a long flap of paper which attached to the fuselage which is optional, but just adds a nice look (Pic below. Yours is longer, this build was before my final drawing). Remember, have your extensions securely attached BEFORE gluing wing and fuselage together!
View attachment 100261

Booms - Be sure to mark which boom is left and right, as they are marked on the plans. They utilize a simple "B" Fold. Included is a cover piece for the bottom of the boom, it is longer than needed so you can trim the foam and use the paper to have a nice finished look (see pic above). Be double sure to test fit them and make sure they are parallel. If they are not, switch the sides.

Elevator - Simply glues to the booms, and the vertical stabilizers glue to that.

NOTES:
The aileron servos mount exactly like they would on the Mini Mustang. The elevator servo is up to you. I did not include a cut out or markings in the plans so you can decide for yourself where you would like to mount it, based on your set up. I installed mine on the top flat of the wing, almost directly above the C.G. (see pic below).
View attachment 100263
Now comes the hardest part of the whole build. Bending the Elevator Push rod. Its not really that difficult if you go slow and take your time. As you can see from the picture below, a few bends to clear the prop and run it alongside the boom, using a few zip ties to act as guides. This can be frustrating making sure its all lined up, so take your time and use small adjustments.
View attachment 100264
View attachment 100265

Throws can be set using the Mini Mustang Throw gauge, and even on the "High" Side, it is not over reactive or twitchy, but is very responsive and acrobatic. I found that I liked a few degrees more of elevator throw than the 16 (i think) Degrees from the mini Mustang Gauge. With an 800Mah 3s tucked all the way up front, it friction fits nicely between the nose spacers in the nose and will balance perfectly.
Thats it!

Electronics: Power Pack "F"
My Set up as tested
Motor: Emax 2205 2300kv
ESC: 15 Amp BlHeli TrackStar
Battery: 800Mah 3s@30C
Receiver: OrangeRx 6Ch Lite
Expo: 20-30%
Beginners should use 30%.

Its actually a fairly fast build once cut out, and is a surprisingly durable frame. Version 1 had a few cartwheels, one resulting in a broken boom, which with out tape or glue (was curious to see how it effected it) still flew and almost didnt even notice the flapping boom in the wind. Final build version before plans had a full speed nose dive (went inverted and lost orientation while doing low pass) and well, all the pictures in this post are of that airframe (thats why the squishy looking nose). It would still fly perfectly If i plugged it back together. I crashed hard enough it literally unplugged my esc and servos from the Rx, and all 3 motor wires from the esc, and she looks like i barely bumped the ground.

Firewalls, Control Horns, and other cool 3D printed parts for your scratch builds:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2751719
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2740764

I hope you build one and love flying it as much as i do!

Would be much simpler just to put a 9g servo in the side of one of the booms and run a straight short push rod to the elevator!

Last edited:
I agree, which is why i somewhat left it up to the builder on positioning. I personally didnt because i didnt want to upset the roll balance (its a very light plane) and keep a nice clean look, but it is definitely an option!