Mini Dewoitine D.520 design/release thread

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Here it is, my latest design...a Dewoitine D.520. A fast and sporty plane that can be built in a day and fits in a car seat.

-Summary

-Speed
I'm not good with guessing speeds, so don't take my word on this but I'd say 50-60 maybe even 70 mph...

-Stalls
The ailerons get very mushy, but the actual stall isn't bad as it just falls straight down and you just have to gain speed to recover.

-Launching
Quite simple just launch at about 30 degrees and expect a little bit of torque roll.

-Landing
If you watched the video you'll see it comes in quite slow with a little bit of throttle and you just need to chop it right before you land.

-Feel
This is a very sporty, go fast kinda plane.

-Aerobatics

Loops, Rolls, stall turns etc. all the basic aerobatics, but I'd suggest staying away from inverted as it requires like 3/4 down stick to stay at a constant altitude.

-Skill level
I would want to make sure that you've flown multiple planes, don't get disoriented while flying and have flown at least 4-5 planes.

-Building

Built with one sheet of foam and all the basic FT fold styles this is a very quick and easy build.

-Gallery
a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

-Plans
Dewoitine D.520 Plans

If you have any questions or built my plane, please post about it I'd be happy to answer your questions and see you results!

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hi all in this thread I am going to make a mini dewoitine d.520 around the 26 inch wingspan it will be powered with a 2204 or 2205 motor and a 3s battery I have already gotten some work done with the wing, fuselage, and tail feathers.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I finished the canopy and the front posterboard

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

and I did the exhaust stack but I did two sizes one a single sheet of foam thick and the other is two pieces of foam thick, so, which do you like more, post down below which one you prefer, and the one with the most votes in THREE days will be added to the plane and plans.

single sheet thick
d.jpg

double sheet thick
e.jpg

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looks great! Are you thinking of doing up a set of plans or just the one awesome build?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
ready for maiden, but first, SPECS!
wingspan - 26 inches /66 centimeters

length - 21.5 inches/54 centimeters

all up weight (with 2205 motor, 3s 800mah, 30 amp esc, and three 5g servos) 9.3 ounces/266 grams

I finished it up, but no exhaust stacks YET and going and to try and get video tomorrow

a.jpg

b'.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
maiden success........kinda well it flew GREAT quite stable, but a little twitchy on the elevator, and little bit of up trim was needed to fly hands off until......at the end when I went for a full throttle vertical climb the motor mount came off and the plane crashed, but I know why

there was NO tape on the firewall securing it to the power pod, noob mistake:p

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
hi again,
I was wondering how many people here have access to a smooth runway and would like for me to add landing gear, because I could test it.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
well, before I begin I'd like to say that currently I fly at two spots one a bit closer and the one I fly more frequently at is a field that is at the edge of a soccer complex that gets mowed every so often.

the other one I fly at a bit longer trip is a dedicated flying field with a runway
so I decided to do some testing and make some removable landing gear that uses no tape or rubber bands that is strong, durable, and easy to take on and off so I can fly it as a belly lander and off some gear depending on which field I go to.

here is the result

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

quick vid showing it in action with a bit of a stress test

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I went out for the v1.1 maiden and it flew great, very smooth with the ailerons and a bit less smooth with the elevator.
sorry no video

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I got two more flights under my belt and flew for a bit over 7 min. and the battery was left with 11.3 volts, while flying at a higher throttle setting.