mini firewall mod?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
having a heck of a time fabricating a new firewall for an 1806 motor i got. it is not the same bolt offset as the typical mini firewall so i cannot use them.

is there anyone out there that can modify a ft mini firewall to have a 12mm offset for the 4 motor mount bolts?

i made some paper prints and tried to transfer to balsa using a drill but it's just not precise enough.

i have a 3D printer, just don't know enough yet to make the mods. if someone could, then post to thingiverse or here that would be awesome!

many thanks in advance.

jason ;)

jtrops

The simplest way I have found to transfer the hole pattern from a motor is to put a piece of masking tape on the back of the motor. Press in on the holes, and use a sharpie to mark where the holes are. remove the tape, and place it centered on the new firewall.

The only thing you have to keep in mind is that if you position it on the inside of the firewall, not the motor side, the holes will mount the motor the way you expect. If you put it on the motor side the motor wires may end up in an unexpected place.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i figured it out. if you take a larger, full size fire wall you can scale it down and it works perfect. i used THIS ONE and just set scale to mm's and adjusted it to 30mmx25mm. i kept the same ratio's so i did not mess with thickness and it works fine for what i am using for a motor. if you are using the emax 1806's that love to ground themselves on the mounting bolts and kill the motor, you will want to make yours a little thicker.

laters,

me ;)