Mini FW-190D

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hi everyone,
This is going to be my build log for a FW-190D I'll be working on for the next few weeks. I really wanted to get my feet wet in the hot wire cutting side of the hobby and branch out my fleet so that it incorporates more than just DTFB planes:D So far specs wise, It's probably going to end up using a F pack sized power system and will have about a 26 inch wingspan.

I decided to start out with the fuse because it will require the most sanding therefore allowing me to make the most mistakes with the hot wire:p

Pre sanding
d.jpg

Post sanding
a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

I don't know what my next step will be..most likely I'll end up doing the wings, before I hollow out the fuse.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
That's a nice start, I really want to see how this one will end up. Probably something nice, hot wiring gets fairly easy once you get it.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Always nice to see another person dip their feet into the sweet waters of hot wire cutting. For sure take your time but unless you plan on hollowing out the fuselage... just make it a good belly-lander. Those are way more fun anyhow.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Always nice to see another person dip their feet into the sweet waters of hot wire cutting. For sure take your time but unless you plan on hollowing out the fuselage... just make it a good belly-lander. Those are way more fun anyhow.

Yeah I plan on making it a belly lander, and I plan on hollowing out the fuse just enough to fit the battery, servos, receiver etc.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I got some more progress to report.
I sanded down the wing and filled in any gaps with some drywall filler and started work on the ailerons.

First I cut off the control surface
a.jpg

Then, I glued some cardstock to the side and back for some support, and regular paper to the front for the hinge.
b.jpg

After that I cut a bevel.
c.jpg

And re-glued it to the wing.
d.jpg

But, after doing all these steps for both wings I realized that I had cut a bevel on the wrong side of one of the ailerons.:(
e.jpg

My next step will either be starting work on the tail surfaces or joining the wing halves together and mounting them to the fuse.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Nice work Gryfflyer - hard to believe this is your first attempt at a hot-wire build.

DamoRC

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I started work on the tail feathers mainly the horizontal stabilizer.

First I cut it out, made a slot for the spar, and glued it in.
a.jpg

Then I started the long process of sanding it down.
b.jpg

It ended up like ~3/8 inch thick.
c.jpg

And Tapered the leading edge, the sides, and the trailing edge.
d.jpg

I had some gaps around the spar, so I put on some of the filler to (you guessed it) fill it in.
e.jpg

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Off to a good start. Nice subject too. For the "boom and zoom" style of fighting, the FW-190 was one of the most lethal piston fighters ever developed.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Very nice vstab, I never had the motivation to make a foam one!

@SlingShot hard to do something besides zooming when you have a plane that doesn't turn like this one, or maybe I am biased by my war thunder experience :rolleyes:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
@SlingShot hard to do something besides zooming when you have a plane that doesn't turn like this one, or maybe I am biased by my war thunder experience :rolleyes:

Fighter tactics are very interesting. It's all about understanding how you match up with your opponent. In this video, the sequence at 8:22 describes one of the first encounters beween the F6F Hellcat and a Zero. A japanese ace flying a Zero attempted to use the energy tactic I know as the "rope-a-dope". Bad move.

I don't know of any similar videos for the FW-190. When it first came out, it was more of a turn fighter. Much better than the early Spitfire models.

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Sorry for no update recently folks I was on vacation, but I got more work done today. I made some progress on the tail feathers and did a dry fit.
a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Are you planning to do a fiberglass layer on top of the foam?

No not on this model, I would like to, but I don't know how to fiberglass and I doubt I could afford it. So instead I'll be doing a couple layers of minwax to give it a bit of strength. It's a small model anyway.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I have a quick question for anyone who has done something like this before.

How should I go about hollowing out the fuse to be able to fit my electronics?

Thanks in advance.

DMC RC

DMC RC
Fighter tactics are very interesting. It's all about understanding how you match up with your opponent. In this video, the sequence at 8:22 describes one of the first encounters beween the F6F Hellcat and a Zero. A japanese ace flying a Zero attempted to use the energy tactic I know as the "rope-a-dope". Bad move.

I don't know of any similar videos for the FW-190. When it first came out, it was more of a turn fighter. Much better than the early Spitfire models.

Yeah The 190 had quite the areal lock on the skies over the channel and over Europe in the first half of 1942. Only to be balanced by the Spitfire F. Mk. IX

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I haven't gotten much work done recently, mainly because all of my next steps will need the fuse to be hollowed out and I really don't want to cut into something I've put all this work into. But I did do some work on the cowling. I hollowed a little bit out and made room for a power pod.
a.jpg

b.jpg