Mini Telemaster Kit-Bashing

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Extending the wing tips and attaching the leading edge sheeting. 20180228_154331-1280x720.jpg 20180228_164930-1280x720.jpg 20180228_162410-1280x720.jpg 20180228_161047-1280x720.jpg 20180301_171247-1280x720.jpg

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I use those same clamps. Are you giving that plane acupuncture with all those pins?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ohh you can christen this one "The Hendrix" !!!

Why you may ask... well with all them pins in the wing you have mashed up the theme and made Voodoo Wing. Cross between Voodoo Child and Little Wing both great songs that Jimi did.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I do like those Irwin deep throat clamps - and even though it hurts my OCD little brain to see them all lined up, I have several different makes of clamps in the shop cause each one works better in one particular scenario compared to the others.

And yeah, I pinned the hell out of that sheet :black_eyed:

So the story behind that is once I had the front edge in place I squirted some glue and put a little weight on the sheeting. And then I noticed it was still bowing up in the middle - it didn't want to lay smooth against the rib. So I added a couple pins. And it still resisted. So I just kept going. About half a pack of pins went into it, but it stayed flat at the end. :cool:

I got smarter on the second wing panel - I sprayed the top of the sheeting with a little ammonia. It immediately curled down to the ribs, and when I added a little weight to keep it there it stayed flat. So I'll let that dry about 12 hours or so, and it should glue up nicely tonight without the aggressive acupuncture. :)

20180301_235951-1280x720.jpg

Here's the Voodoo Wing after pin removal, and with a nice access hole drilled to get the servo wires down into the fuselage. Important to drill this before adding the final piece of sheeting.

20180302_000513-1280x720.jpg

And here's the last of the sheeting on that panel. This one behaved nicely under some weight - I tested first - so no ammonia spray and two day process. However I did get the bottom edge trimmed a little off from the trailing edge block so I'll be coming back with some balsa filler to clean that joint up.

20180302_001352-1280x720.jpg

While I'm at it, I'll fill in that huge gap around the half-round register bump that is supposed to line up the trailing edge pieces. I say 'supposed to line up' cause the cuts seem to have been made with a different radius in each piece.

Gotta say, I was happy with the kit quality for the fuselage and tail pieces, but not impressed at all with the cuts for the wing.

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I'm still perfecting sheeting techniques and I found the blue painters tape to work, in some cases, petty good. You need to be able to wrap it around the piece a bit though.

Tench745

Master member
Bit of a tip: You don't have to use ammonia every time. If you wet the side that you want the sheet to bend away from with plain ol' water, the top of the sheet in this case, it swells the fibers there causing the sheet to curve naturally. Less drying time necessary, and you aren't weakening the wood fibers like with ammonia.
For me ammonia is reserved for only the hardest bends, like the laminated bow gunwhale on my SeaRey build. http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?15907-Scale-build-off-Progressive-Aerodyne-Searey&p=176738&viewfull=1#post176738

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Good to know - the drying time isn't really a problem for me as I always plan to let anything I wet sit overnight, but avoiding the smell is nice :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
A little more progress tonight. Glued down the leading edge sheeting on the second wing panel. Still needed pins on the very edge of the sheeting to get a nice tight joint to the last bit of ribs it covers but the prebending worked great.

20180302_222852-1280x720.jpg

Also carved out the center of the balsa wing tips and smoothed over the balsa filler used to clean up the joints where i extended the trailing edges on one tip. Still need to fill the one on the left. Probably not enough weight savings to notice from the carving but i expect it will be a more even glue joint to the wing tip this way too. Not rocking on some high point in the middle.

20180302_224434-1280x720.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Finished up the last of the wing sheeting...
20180303_124707-1280x720.jpg

And after a few test fittings, epoxied the wing bracket and spar into one wing panel.
20180303_184527-1280x720.jpg

Next up is finishing the ailerons hinges, another round of test fittings on the flap hinges, and then putting the wing panels together.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
And here's where we left things last night. Left side flaps and ailerons hinged, beveled, and test fit. Left wing tip cut to length, covered in some balsa filler, and pinned in place to look pretty.

20180304_232413-1280x720.jpg

Tonight is finishing up the right side control surfaces, wing tip, and just maybe connecting the wing panels.

Then on to installing the control rod guides in the fuselage and then the framing is pretty well done. Since I'm doing this as a build along with my local RC club, I'm going to wait until after the next meeting to start any covering work.

So it'll be time to clean up the work bench and get back to cutting foam for the monster FW-42!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Gluing the wing panels together with about 5mm of dihedral.

20180305_205047-1280x720.jpg

Note the epoxy is covered with waxed paper on top so it doesn't absorb moisture and flash, staying sticky forever. Thanks for the tip Josh!

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Just as he said.

In our climate, the humidity in the air can get absorbed into the epoxy as it cures out and separates the resin from the hardener. By applying something over top, it seals out the air to avoid this "flashing" phenomena and also gives a very smooth finish.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I think my brain isn't working. I cant seem to find the tip, but I vaguely remember something about it. Are you talking about when you apply fiberglass cloth or just gluing to halves together? When I glue the wing halves together I just wipe off any excess epoxy squeezing out so there isn't any epoxy at all visible outside the seem.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
...when applying glass cloth. In this case, he applied it over the seam between the two wings.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
OK, Now it makes sense. I will need to try that on some scrap to see how it works, thanks.

Tench745

Master member
Since I commented on here earlier I thought I'd drop this in here too.
http://rcmodel.com/blog/
Bob Benjamin has been a contributor to Fly RC magazine and is a 'master' of balsa. I love reading through his blog for insights on how best to use the material.