Monster sized Fock-Wulf FW-42

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Just when y'all gave up hope... (I almost did anyway)

Cowl number 2 in the mold!

20190609_174813-1024x576.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yep - that's two cowls done! I didn't get as good of a mold release from this one - had to break the mold into pieces, and then chisel and sand off a couple pieces of ultracoat that were stuck to the fiberglass.

20190610_222040-1024x576.jpg

But I now have two sturdy cowls done, and once I clear the Elder 60 wing off the workbench, I can put the FW-42 back up there and install the cowl mounting blocks and button her up.

I also have a plan for balancing her under a new pergola I setup in the back yard this spring. It's big enough that I should be able to hang a fully assembled FW-42 underneath! :D

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Thanks! I can't forget about it - darn thing takes up way too much space in my workshop! Seems like I need to move it around to get something every couple days :D
Definitely let me know when you plan to maiden this. I REALLY want to be there. I know Lorton is only available on weekends but if you wanted another option and wanted to play hooky on a workday there is always DCRC and I'd be happy to sneak out there and have you fly as my guest. I could probably do that any day AFTER next Tuesday.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I glued on some balsa mounting blocks for the cowls... I figured balsa would be good in case it gets hit it will break easily and not mess up the nacelles which would be more difficult to repair.

20190624_235003-1024x576.jpg

And then screwed them into place, checking with the prop mounts to make sure everything had appropriate clearance...

20190625_134127_HDR-1024x576.jpg

20190625_132527-1024x576.jpg

And lookee here - all mounted up!

20190625_134255_HDR-1024x576.jpg

Next up is spackling, sanding, and painting the cowls and then hanging this beast in a Vanessa rig to figure out the battery location to balance her for flight! :D

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Looking good!!

How will the motor get airflow to cool it off? are you going to cut a few holes under the prop?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sadly no. I should share a picture of how deeply it's buried in my shop, behind stacks of chairs that need to be refinished :cry:

There really is only one more step to being ready for flight too - balance it by figuring out where the batteries need to mount, and gluing in the battery straps.

I need to just pick a weekend target, make sure my camera man / ground crew is available, and get it done. *sigh*

man-bot

No pressure mate. Just wondering in my absence if I had missed a thread change over documenting its journey.

Is the caudron still holding shape or has it wilted to a blob of goo?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Caudron has a light dust coating, but she's ready to head to the field the same day the FW goes up! :D I think I'm going to put Carl at the sticks on that one for the maiden flight though - he's put dozens of flights on his Caudron and really has a good feel for how to fly that design. My track record with it is... shall we say less than exemplary? :p

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Caudron has a light dust coating, but she's ready to head to the field the same day the FW goes up! :D I think I'm going to put Carl at the sticks on that one for the maiden flight though - he's put dozens of flights on his Caudron and really has a good feel for how to fly that design. My track record with it is... shall we say less than exemplary? :p

Just tell me when! I'll bring my caudron out too!
Fly it soon and you'll get to be the first plane I film with the new camera setup. Picked up a new 4k camcorder with better optical zoom and a better shotgun mic. Decided it was time to upgrade the rig for 2020!