Monster sized Fock-Wulf FW-42

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That is one heck of a spar I see there, Rocky. That looks to be about half the size as the one in my real airplane!

Yeah, I don't have a lot of experience with aircraft this size so I went for a 7/8" carbon fiber tube. I saw some Ziroli models in the 100" to 150" size that used between 3/4" and 1" tubes.

I might be in overkill zone here but the weight and price difference between these sizes wasn't much and I really don't want this wing to clap in the excitement of flight! :black_eyed:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Another coat of white primer on the canard. New can of Rustoleum primer, and about 20 minutes after putting on the layer I turn around and there are all these horizontal cracks that have opened up in the finish. Maybe I put it on too thick? Oh well... yet another coat that will get sanded off 90%.
20180416_223951-1280x720.jpg

Drilling holes in the rear ribs for the arrow shaft to go through. I don't think I'm going to need to leave this rear spar in here once the fan fold foam sheeting is in place, but it will be necessary for keeping the hotwire templates aligned and prevent some really awkward wing twisting during the cut.
20180416_221306-1280x720.jpg

Gluing on the trailing edge piece.
20180416_223705-1280x720.jpg

And preparing the templates with aluminum tape edging and nails sticking out the front and back as guide rails for the hot wire.
20180416_230715-1280x720.jpg

After further checking, I don't have a hotwire big enough to cut this panel after all, so this part of construction will need to wait till I borrow Carl's hotwire on Thursday.

This gives me a couple days to try and get the finish where I like it on the one canard I'm doing now, and maybe switch gears and put some covering on the Mini Telemaster for a couple nights.

Last edited:

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
After further checking, I don't have a hotwire big enough to cut this panel after all, so this part of construction will need to wait till I borrow Carl's hotwire on Thursday.

I've got the thumbs up from the boss so I'll be there :cool:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ewww.. you will get sticky brain matter all over the place if you do that. Verbal contact with someone elses brain is usually the accepted standard for Earthlings. Picking at brains is strictly reserved for Zombies and Aliens.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Both canards have been hit with the final sanding and coat of white, and now I'm testing out the bottom paint pattern.

1/2" masking tape and a little Ironlak Sugar "Strawberry" paint - came out pretty nice! Will do the other one tonight, and give the top white/gray camo pattern a shot. Might as well epoxy in the hinges too.

Getting the canards all the way complete - testing the finish and everything - will help with motivation on this monster. I'm beginning to see the final product take shape here:cool: And if the main body fails completely, I can use these canards as wings for another project :sneaky:

Once I get the Tele done and my main workbench cleared I'll get back to the hotwire for the wings.

20180425_233836-1280x720.jpg

Last edited:

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
The wing skinning plan is to use fan-fold foam from the Home Despot - that stuff is about 1/4" thickness and with a layer of 1.5 oz fiberglass it should be nice and strong. I've seen similar setups used on a couple big foamies over on that other forum so I think it'll work. :)

Whats the advantage of using the fan fold foam over DTFB as a covering? I think the foam board would be faster and easier to work with and could be painted more easily. The only disadvantage I could see would be that the fan fold foam would be stronger or lighter, but I really don't know that much about the stuff.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Whats the advantage of using the fan fold foam over DTFB as a covering? I think the foam board would be faster and easier to work with and could be painted more easily. The only disadvantage I could see would be that the fan fold foam would be stronger or lighter, but I really don't know that much about the stuff.

The fan fold stuff is a little bigger for each section - 4' x 2' instead of the 30" x 20" - so I can get one piece to cover the whole width of a wing panel - perhaps even the whole section of a wing, but I need to double check the wing chord measurement for that.

I'm doing a structural fiberglass layer over the foam, so I need to get the paper off so it doesn't let the layers delaminate. And peeling the paper of the DTFB can be a pain in the rear and I'd need to do that to about 20 sheets :cry:

071215400046.jpg

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
The fan fold stuff is a little bigger for each section - 4' x 2' instead of the 30" x 20" - so I can get one piece to cover the whole width of a wing panel - perhaps even the whole section of a wing, but I need to double check the wing chord measurement for that.

I'm doing a structural fiberglass layer over the foam, so I need to get the paper off so it doesn't let the layers delaminate. And peeling the paper of the DTFB can be a pain in the rear and I'd need to do that to about 20 sheets :cry:

071215400046.jpg
Ah that makes a lot more sense, I used DTFB to cover a wing for a large project of mine but I may have made the wing too large to fit into my car, I;ll have to cut it in half and find a way to put it back together :cry:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ah that makes a lot more sense, I used DTFB to cover a wing for a large project of mine but I may have made the wing too large to fit into my car, I;ll have to cut it in half and find a way to put it back together :cry:

Ouch!! Transportation is the reason I'm fussing with a detachable center wing panel on this beast too - no way to get it into the car otherwise :unsure:

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Yeah I thought I was going to be able to use a truck to transport it but now all I can use is my mazda 3 :(

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hinges epoxied into canard control surfaces (next to the Mini Telemaster aileron horns getting epoxy too)

20180427_163154-1280x720.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Its all about the sugar up here :p

Hinges all glued in..
20180427_234228-1280x720.jpg

And servos installed and tested.

20180428_003824-1280x720.jpg

Control horns and rods next, and then the camo paint on the top and these are done! :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Gimme some sugar baby!! :p
20180429_001057-1280x720.jpg

This one is called Decay - I call it light gray. I love this brand of rattle can paint. One coat and its done, opaque covering with no bleed through, flat finish, and no toxic smell.
20180429_001353-1280x720.jpg

I got the pattern pretty darn close to the prototype model :D
20180429_001449-1280x720.jpg