Motor stuttering help

Votey

Hi FT.

I'm new to R/C, electronics, all of this. I decided to build a Swappable FT Storch.

I ordered the following from Amazon:
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack
HOBBYMATE Rc Airplane Power Combo Motor and ESC 30A, Program Card Props Plugs ParkFlyer
Tenergy TB6-B Balance Charger for NiMH/NiCD/Li-PO/Li-Fe Battery Packs + Power Supply
GoolRC FS-i6 AFHDS 2A 2.4GHz 6CH Radio System Transmitter for RC Helicopter Glider with FS-iA6 Receiver
and other necessities.

I cut the parts out of Dollar Tree foam board, glued them together, servos and power system installed, Tx and Rx talking, motor spinning counter-clockwise. Everything looked ready to fly.

I stuck the prop on with the "prop saver" rubber band thing around the two little bolts and gave it some throttle. After about a second, the rubber band and prop came off. So I put them back on. They came off again. Now the motor just stutters when I give it throttle. Battery is showing 4.07-4.08 on all three cells.

I'm reading about burned out ESCs, damaged motors, "overpropped" motors... Not sure if I did any of that, or something else. I've ordered the following ESC and motor from HeadsUpHobby, trying to come close to the Flite Test "C" power pack specs:
D-193 Sky Power 30A ESC with Linear BEC
E-119 Emax BL2815/09 1000kv Outrunner Brushless Motor

Before those arrive, I wanted to get advice from you professionals about how to avoid repeating the same mistakes. I'm thinking I should get a different prop, something slower...

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hi Votey welcome to the forum! A stuttering motor is usually due to only two out of the three motor wires from the ESC reaching the motor. Check to make sure that the three wires from the ESC to the motor are well connected and if you soldered them make sure you have no cold solder joints. It is very unlikely that you burned the ESC by running it for a second and having the prop fall off. I would recommend a 7-8" ,maybe even 9" if your careful, prop with the new motor you ordered. Try the troubleshoot the original setup first though.

Votey

Thanks, Snarls! I went back and rechecked all my soldered connections and found one that came loose quite easily. I redid that one and retested. The stuttering was greatly reduced but not entirely eliminated. I attached the ESC programming card and changed Start Mode from Normal to Soft . That seems to have fixed it.

Too windy today for my first flight, but SOON!