Mountain/cliff diving questions/ideas

skazjazz

Hey guys, So I am on the verge of building a versa wing, blunt nose versa or a spear.

Now the goal is to building something that can handle speeds whilst diving down mountain sides and be stable enough to get good footage. I am unsure if there is a term for this kind of flying, have yet to find something. Only good footage I have seen has been from team black sheep.

I am going to be back home in NZ in a month and will be bringing gear to fly and film some awesome locations.

Any thoughts on best plane for this flying style. My thoughts are a std versa wing.
Yes I will be hauling fpv gear and a go pro.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Having built a Versa and a BN Versa, I prefer the latter. I haven't built a Spear yet. I am interested, however, in more yaw control which these don't have.

I like your idea and look forward to the videos.

earthsciteach

My concern for the spear is flexing of the elevons at high speed. If you go that route, consider stiffening up the control surfaces.

skazjazz

Decided to go with a versa wing to get some flight time in here before getting to NZ, I have the wings built, servos mounted and today I worked on a gopro mounting area.

gopro versa.jpg

I have since reinforced the area, added a velcro strap as a retention device and made a little cover for when I don't want to be running the gopro

versa gopro cover.jpg

This thing is going to be wicked, Motor and props on the way courtesy of the flite test store.
Picking up some minwax later today and gonna coat it then paint it.