Mountain Models EVA Sport Build Thread

She looks beautiful!! Congrats!! :applause:

Yeah, Solite takes some practice for sure - it's all I've been using since I got back into the hobby a couple years ago (some previous experience with Monokote in the late 80's). There are lots of tips and pictures of how to use it out there, but a lot fewer videos - and it really takes a video or in-person instruction to get past a lot of the headaches I think. Maybe I should talk Joker into filming one :p

A video would be great! I just got a Mountain Models Dandy delivered that I plan on building this winter. It will be my first balsa build. I'm sure that I will need help with the covering.

Try-n-glide

Successful maiden!! :cool:

Zero wind. Tried a taxi test and it just took off at less than 1/2 throttle. Tried to set it back down but it just floated along pretty straight so I hit the gas instead of risking a nose over in the grass. Two clicks right rudder. Two down elevator. Chickened out when I lost orientation briefly in the dusk. Landed like a feather right on the running path.

May need more power than 150 watts to fully satisfy ;-) It does float right along at about 1/3 throttle.

Turbojoe

Elite member
May need more power than 150 watts to fully satisfy ;-)

Congrats on the maiden!

Be VERY careful adding TOO much power. The ailerons will flutter at high speeds on the stock Sport wing. I always have to cut power on down lines or I can hear and see them buzzing like crazy on both EVA Sports. I mounted the aileron servos mid wing on the twin conversion but haven't flown it to see if that helped.

Joe

Try-n-glide

Have any of you tried to harrier the EVA? I am trying to get into a parachute/elevator maneuver that seems to be the one you transition into a harrier from. Haven't quite got it worked out. Seems like it either wants to glide or stall and porpoise. If I power up from there it just pulls forward instead of pulling up into a stalled harrier type position.

If you have gotten it to harrier what power level? I'm running a Sunnysky 910kv at 160 watts, and I don't know that it will be enough.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
The covering job looks great. Hopefully I can do that good when the time comes. Why tape hinges and not CA or nylon hinges?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Why tape hinges and not CA or nylon hinges?

One thing that isn't super obvious in the pictures is that the hinged surfaces are very thin. It would be difficult to split the balsa and insert a hinge (even a CA hinge) without doing further damage to the structure. The taped hinges are a great compromise - they don't look as nice, but they work great and don't damage the wood.

One of the planes my dad got a while back was an EVA, and the builder tried using regular hinges. He ended up tearing up the internal structure in an attempt at getting the hinge in place, resulting in very weak construction. I maiden his planes, and wouldn't touch that one until he fixed the problems. It was repaired and the tape hinges were used.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Flight Report: Haven't attempted a harrier yet, but ran about 6 batteries through her this weekend in very calm air and loved every minute!

Well, except for the minute when canopy came off the very first time I went vertical, but another club member saw where it came down and we found it easily. I was very happy with how stable she was to land without the canopy on, and the rest of the day I just flew with the canopy taped in place. Will build a latch or just put in a bigger magnet before I take her out again.

And instead of feeling like I have to fly a basic pattern and play defense from the wind and trees like I often do, I spent most of the time practicing getting straight loops and working on hammer head turns. Really feeling like I'm starting to move from a basic to an (early stage) intermediate pilot now. :)