My “other” hobby...

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
My mom sucked my wife in to a hobby over Thanksgiving; apparently, it’s a somewhat fast growing hobby.

They paint rocks.

Yes, where we’re happy over a great flight, or finding unwarped, perfectly flat foam board, they discuss the quality of their paints, and where to find the smoothest rocks to paint. After painting these rocks, they then place them out in the community for people to find.

My wife sucked me in to doing this as well, and told me, “Here. Paint a scene on a rock. And don’t tell me you can’t paint; I saw what you did on that Paint Nite date night we did.”

08FF555D-CDC2-433B-8356-3147D03AEDF2.jpeg

So I painted this.

And I was told to paint another...

A4F1625D-B16F-4579-A15A-94BC1646C4FD.jpeg

And i’ve Kept painting. Anyone interested in seeing more, holler...

Gazoo

I expect that Pinterest is to blame for this. Looks good though. What do others have as a second hobby, I wonder.

sprzout

Mentor
I expect that Pinterest is to blame for this. Looks good though. What do others have as a second hobby, I wonder.

LOL you have no idea. I was "voluntold" to paint more rocks, and have knocked out several logos, like the Ghostbusters logo, a Back to the Future logo of the Delorean leaving flaming tracks, and one of my favorites being the Pirates of the Caribbean skull...

I'm kinda done, though. I'd rather paint planes. LOL

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Its cool to see this even tho its done under duress. You do pretty nice paintings freehand mate.

I do wonder though if this is going to expand in better weather when they tell you they HAVE to come flying with you and bring all these pretty rock to throw at your aircraft as you fly. The painting is only for ease of recovery to see them better and to identify the thrower for scoring purposes. :rolleyes: (just being silly)

sprzout

Mentor
Its cool to see this even tho its done under duress. You do pretty nice paintings freehand mate.

I do wonder though if this is going to expand in better weather when they tell you they HAVE to come flying with you and bring all these pretty rock to throw at your aircraft as you fly. The painting is only for ease of recovery to see them better and to identify the thrower for scoring purposes. :rolleyes: (just being silly)

Lol actually, they’ve hidden several of their rocks out at our fields (mine and my dad’s) because a lot of the guys bring their kids or grandkids out when they fly. The kids find them and enjoy it.

I may have to lay out the stipulation, though, that if they want to hide any more, they have to come out with me. Lol

Here’s the last one I did, and I’m not sure I want this one to go out into circulation. I like the way it came out...

IMG_5027.JPG

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That's a piece of art. I would urethane that and keep it. You should do tail art for people and print it as stickers to sell. You could probably make enough to get a plane or three in the air over time I am sure with that level of skill.

sprzout

Mentor
That's a piece of art. I would urethane that and keep it. You should do tail art for people and print it as stickers to sell. You could probably make enough to get a plane or three in the air over time I am sure with that level of skill.

Never thought about that...Hmm...There's a lot of guys out here that are into warbirds; maybe I should look up Varga/Olivia pinup style art, and learn to paint that, make stickers, and let them apply it to the noses/tails of their warbirds as you suggest!!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Never thought about that...Hmm...There's a lot of guys out here that are into warbirds; maybe I should look up Varga/Olivia pinup style art, and learn to paint that, make stickers, and let them apply it to the noses/tails of their warbirds as you suggest!!

I'm not much for impulse buys, but something like that would captivate me and make me desirous of owning one :)

BTW, my other hobby is guitar.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I remember painting rocks with my oldest brother when I was young. It was a lot of fun. I was about 8 y.o. , we did Mercer Meyer critters. I painted the spider, he painted the grasshopper. (they appeared in every picture of the book.) :)

It's funny how certain memories persist.

61FVM6bOLLL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Enjoy your other hobby.:D

sprzout

Mentor
Well, I told my wife I had to have her paint a plane for me last night, since I was painting rocks.

"SURE!!! I can do that! What plane do you want me to paint?"

"Uhm...I don't have any unpainted planes at this time, so...I guess I'll have to build one?"

"Ok! Let me know, this sounds like it'll be fun!"

I now have an excuse for building more planes! LOL

sprzout

Mentor
I have a feeling that some of these will be passed to my father to fly, possibly at FFW this year (I plan to attend, come hell or high water; hopefully I will be able to finagle the time off as soon as they announce when it is)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I remember as a kid there were "pet rocks". 4 decades or so later and they've returned with an upgrade.

sprzout

Mentor
I remember as a kid there were "pet rocks". 4 decades or so later and they've returned with an upgrade.

LOL my dad had one, along with a whole story that they ate tumbleweeds and such. The rock painting is, from what I understand, mostly a way to get art out into the community without it being considered graffiti, and a way to spread positive messages in the community to kids. My mom's group originally started out as kind of a therapy for kids who were being bullied, and a way to just tell people, "Be kind," "Smile," etc.

It's amazing to see little kids find the rocks and pick them up, tickled that they found something special, and it's cool to know that my artwork IS being seen, and appreciated. :)

sprzout

Mentor
My goodness you are talented.

My wife loves the pirate!

Thanks! I've already told the wife that one will be staying home with me; I can't bring myself to part with it.

But I'll share another set I've done that was fun, and actually a lot easier than I thought it would be to do:

fullsizeoutput_558.jpeg

Attachments

• abyHSDNxRaKUFCErqxb1Zw.jpg
    abyHSDNxRaKUFCErqxb1Zw.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • f08f+Am1RWWnJ9jouMshSw.jpg
    f08f+Am1RWWnJ9jouMshSw.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4998.JPG
    IMG_4998.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 0
  • C2+7TcwkTsGomc%EFQvCzQ.jpg