My First Build, What makes what work!? KK2

AirNoFair

I've done my fair share of research and I've been left with questions unanswered. I have down how the basics of a quadcopter and how they work along with the electronics too. My experience flying my Syma X1 has helped a lot with getting my hands on things.

I've read many great reviews on the KK2 board and from what it looks like I'll be using that.
My main question is, What size battery to what size ESC's to what size motor to power what size prop? How do all these pieces correspond with one another? If someone would like to personally help me out or lead me to an article on how all of these pieces correspond with one another it would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks in advanced!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Copter weight determines the amount of thrust you will need. How you fly and where will determine how you want to get that thrust. You can go long rotors and large, slow motors or you can go light, fast motors and short props to get thrust.

Light and fast is more aerobatic and takes less damage in a crash. Heavy and slow flies longer, is more stable and costs more to build and maintain.

You want triple the copter's weight in thrust as a general 'rule of thumb'.

I advocate light, fast motors and short rotors as they are simpler. They aren't as efficient so you won't get long flight times, but they cost less, take less to get and keep flying and weigh less so your copter will break less when you crash.

Assuming you are going to build a FT 370 kit (what I recommend for newbies), the frame limits the length of your rotors to <> 12". Motors to spin 12" rotors are HUGE and heavy and will break the Delrin on any fast landing. The smallest you can run will be <> 8" rotors. The longest you should run will be 10" - 11" rotors.

10"-11" rotors will require balancing and the motors will be <> 1000kv. You can run 9" rotors from about 1200kv and 8" rotors up to <> 1500kv depending on the motor.

I like light fast motors so I like the Suppo 1450kv motors running 8045 nylon rotors for a basic FT 370 kit for a newbie. They should generate somewhere around 2500 grams of thrust. Since the motors are light, I can keep one of these to <> 800 grams with the lipo. That gives me 800 grams of weight to 2500 grams of thrust right in the ballpark.

So now that I know rotors and motors, I need ESCs. There is math I can do here if I wanted to do it, but I am lazy and the motors already tell me max current is 12A at 3S. An 18A ESC is a good minimum.

Lipos are a balancing act (what isn't in flight?). The larger and heavier they are, the longer the copter can fly...to a point. There is a reason we don't all hook up car batteries to copters. They are too heavy. You can add so much weight to a copter via the lipo that the copter won't fly at all. The heavier the lipo the more damage it will cause in a crash.

Start light and go heavier when you can fly without smashing your copter.

A FliteTest 370 kit will weigh <> 700 grams when you are done building. The lighter you keep it, the better your motors will thrust you into the air and the less damage you will take when you crash. I find an 1800mAh 3S 35C lipo works well for learning. Move up to the 2200 later when you can fly better.

Most newbies want a big heavy copter with a 5000mAh monster that can fly for 20 minutes. Until they crash it and the lipo and heavy motors pummel the copter to dust, that is. Some will want to start with a 250 which is light and fast but very unstable also. Both extremes are harder to fly and steepen the learning curve.

If I were you, I would start with the FT Knuckle H quad or Electrohub and the Altitude Hobbies Power pack with 1450kv Suppos and 8045 rotors. It is a great place to start building and learning to fly.

Last edited:

AirNoFair

@cranialrectosis

I greatly appreciate your post, it was a great help!
Why do you suggest the FT Knuckle H quad or Electrohub when I can get a similar frame for less money?

Disregard the question, I just watch the video on the Electrohub and it's exactly what I want.
If I were to build the Electrohub with the Altitude Hobbies Power Pack what transmitter and receiver would you recommend? I currently have the stock remote for my Syma X1, Would that transmitter work with another receiver?

Last edited:

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I like the ElectroHub and the Altitude kit a lot. I've had a lot of fun experimenting with different configurations.

Quad

For the Electro hub I would recommend cutting the booms down a bit... Maybe an inch off each boom. It makes it break less on crashing...

I use the FrSky Tx which is a great deal (even though it is $200 or so). The Turnigy 9x is also a nice choice at the $55 range. Be sure to get a Mode 2.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I started with the Turnigy 9X and then modded it to FrSky.

If I were getting in today, I would simply buy the Taranis. If you don't have the cash, the Turnigy 9X (Quad is spot on, get mode 2) is a good place to start.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
@cranialrectosis

I greatly appreciate your post, it was a great help!
Why do you suggest the FT Knuckle H quad or Electrohub when I can get a similar frame for less money?

Disregard the question, I just watch the video on the Electrohub and it's exactly what I want.
If I were to build the Electrohub with the Altitude Hobbies Power Pack what transmitter and receiver would you recommend? I currently have the stock remote for my Syma X1, Would that transmitter work with another receiver?

I know you disregarded but I want to answer for other newbie readers.

The Electrohub is a great way to begin. It is simple, cheap and very easy to repair. It uses wood booms which naturally dampen vibrations from the motors. It has large solder pads for people who are new to soldering and you don't have to build your own wiring harness. The electrohub can be re-configured into a tricopter, hex, octo, X-8, Y-6, deadcat....

The knuckle H quad is also simple to build. The knuckles make it easy to build a square, rigid copter. The knuckle H quad is tougher than the Electrohub but not as aerobatic and not as versatile.

Both are 370 sized copters which are a good balance between stable and aerobatic. Both have plenty of room for wiring and components. You can use a WIDE range of electronics and make these small, fast zippy copters or large slow, stable video shooters.

The FT kits are very basic and fit a wide variety of pilots. I recommend them because there is a ton of support for them and they are very forgiving for new builders/pilots.

AirNoFair

I started with the Turnigy 9X and then modded it to FrSky.

If I were getting in today, I would simply buy the Taranis. If you don't have the cash, the Turnigy 9X (Quad is spot on, get mode 2) is a good place to start.

Thank you for the great amount of help. You've been a great mentor ;)

The Taranis is currently out of my price range although the Turnigy 9X looks great.
Do you recommend the the Turnigy 9X because it's a very versatile Transmitter? or would the Turnigy 4, 5 6X, be a viable option?