My FliteFest 2014 Experience!

Flynn

After a 8 hour trip from New Jersey, I pulled into the Furey Residence and FliteFest 2014!

I grabbed a spot next to a gentleman named Allen Anderson and his son who had a variety of different planes and FPV multi copters. We talked for a while about different planes and his experience with FT. After 10 minutes, it was like we'd known each other for years. Aside from Allen being a great neighbor, I wanted to catch up with a bunch other guys that I talk to on the forums and had met at NEF. I made my way up to the build tent yelling "Where's Craftydan!" I finally caught up with Dan and spent a little time talking with him. He was extremely busy being a volunteer and heading up some of the events. Fantastic guy! I caught up with Steve Zvada and we talked for a while. I did get a chance to talk to Chad and Josh Scott for a few minutes each and it was really great experience. I really admire Chad's genius and motivation to keep this Flitetest thing going the last 3-4 years. I Caught up with Austin, Alex and Josh Bixler and we talked for another couple minutes I didn't want to take up too much of everyone's time because of the crowd that was there. I also found Austin Furey's wife to have such a great personality, super easy to talk to and very funny. I spoke to Jen Bixler and said hi to Lindsey, Alex's fiancé and Lindsay was another genuinely super cool very gracious part of the Flitetest crew.

IMG_2260.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

Flying was Great!

I flew my Viggen, many times. I crashed my Racer early in the Event. My spitfire was a lot of fun but I really think my 200% Mustang was a hit. I didn't get any pictures of it in the air, so if anyone did, please let me know. I would love to see them. The field was a bit tricky for someone like me who has only been flying for about nine months. The wind came in from behind us into the left almost exactly the same as in the Carbon Z cub video. The one where Peter flips one over, breaking nose off. My Viggen wings were taking a beating because instead of getting a nice run after landing, the field kind of gripped belly landers, stopping them short. By the end of the day on Saturday my wing was starting curve up. And I think that's what eventually led to meet nosing it right in. Oh well, time to build number 3!

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

I had really hoped that I would be able to meet up with some of the guys who I've meet before. I was overjoyed to meet up with Tim and his two sons. I wish there was more time to talk with him. We were both enjoying the day. I did spend some time searching for Team Monkey, who I met at NEF. I knew he was here because I saw the ominous silhouette of the Bird of Prey in the sky. Eventually we found each other and had a blast! He's a really great pilot and very good at building an inexpensive planes that fly fantastic. He let me fly his F-16 prop and slot jet that was insane. He is also the one who owns the Klingon bird of prey.

IMG_2244s.jpg

I ran into Dreamwalker who was doing the registration. We also crossed paths a few times during the event, he is real genuinely great person.

There was young man I spoke to for about an hour who, in my opinion, should be on the Flitetest crew tomorrow, please forgive me because I forgot his name. He flew what's pictured here I believe it's called an ugly stick, he scratch built it himself from plans available on the FT Forums.

IMG_2272.JPG

If anyone knows who he is, let me know. He has to forgive me because I wish I could remember his name but I'm over 40 and that's my excuse. He was so knowledgeable and had different things he wanted to try to different FT planes. His pilot skills were very impressive.

Also, thanks to the guy who took about a hundred pictures of my Viggen flying. He had some great shots!!

I also met up with a guy who does some amazing scratchbuilds. He was also at NEF and I can't for the life of me remember his name, (40+!) We had some fun asking him all sorts of questions about his builds. The passion can be seen in the craftsmanship of his planes.

IMG_2290.JPG

I would have to say I had a great time flying but I think what topped the great flying was the fantastic people I ran into. From just the few minutes I spoke to some, to hours I spoke to others, I'll never forget the way they made a great event even better. I've only been flying for short time and I've haven't been to many events but I never have been at an event where everyone said "Hi" and wanted to chat. Let me put it this way, I broke my two favorite planes at this event completely smashed my Viggen and broke my Racer. I'll have to rebuild them both and I still came away from this event with an enormous smile and some amazing memories. I'm still trying to take it all in.

Thanks again to the John Furey and his Family for letting us stay in his front yard for a weekend and have a fantastic time. I'm looking forward to taking more time off next year, getting a camper together and bring some more friends of mine to Ohio for a great time.

See you then if not sooner!!

IMG_2274.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2292.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Flynn,
This is awesome! Wish I could have been there. Thanks for sharing.

dholcomb

Agreed

I couldn't have stated it better. It was a wonderful experience. Meeting the people was by far the best part. I also being a newbie did my share of crashing but got a lot of support from those around me.

Anyway, Well said...

Thanks,
David (Beanie Hat) Holcomb... :)

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
"I ran into Dreamwalker who was doing the registration. We also crossed paths a few times during the event, he is real genuinely great person."

Hey Flynn, thanks man.
It was a pleasure meeting you too.:)
I was lucky enough to get away from the registration booth to see your Mustang fly, man it was sweet.
Hope to see you next year.

Tom

Thanks for sharing the great photos, and memories. It was great to talk to you, and see your incredible Mustang in action! Until Next Year!

Team_Monkey

Hey Kevin it was super awesome to hang out and do some flying together. Your Mustang and Viggen were really cool and showed your attention to detail. I'm really sorry the Viggen went in though, that just stunk.

Thanks for mentioning my planes and I'm glad you liked the F-18 prop jet. You can fly any of my planes, any time. I don't build 'em to sit around. :p

We've got to stay in touch through the year. Good friends make for good times.

Flynn

Thanks for the good times guys. Jaxx, too bad you couldn't make it. I was thrilled to talk with and hang out with everyone!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
There was young man I spoke to for about an hour who, in my opinion, should be on the Flitetest crew tomorrow, please forgive me because I forgot his name. He flew what's pictured here I believe it's called an ugly stick, he scratch built it himself from plans available on the FT Forums.

View attachment 27730

If anyone knows who he is, let me know. He has to forgive me because I wish I could remember his name but I'm over 40 and that's my excuse. He was so knowledgeable and had different things he wanted to try to different FT planes. His pilot skills were very impressive.

Flynn,

That would be my son Keegan (a.k.a. AkimboGlueGuns on the forums). He's a great kid and I'm super proud of him. Keegan has been into airplanes and aviation since before he could walk and talk. He has already attended 3 AirAcademy summer camps, gone on several Young Eagle flights, Belongs to the Oshkosh EAA Chapter and regularly attends meetings, gone to AirVenture 15 years-in-a-row, and has taken 2 college level aviation courses as a freshman in High School. He plans to get his pilots license and go to college for aeronautical engineering.

We've both only been in the hobby a little over a year and it has been a great bonding experience for us. He's already flying circles around me though. Flite Fest was our first event and it was absolutely incredible. I talked with you briefly one of the times that you had your 200% Stang out. You did a great job building and flying it.

Here is a picture of Keegan and I with Josh Bixler.

FF2014 Keegan Josh and Dan - Wonder SBK Cropped.jpg

Last edited:

Flynn

Flynn,

That would be my son Keegan (a.k.a. AkimboGlueGuns on the forums). He's a great kid and I'm super proud of him. Keegan has been into airplanes and aviation since before he could walk and talk. He has already attended 3 AirAcademy summer camps, gone on several Young Eagle flights, Belongs to the Oshkosh EAA Chapter and regularly attends meetings, gone to AirVenture 15 years-in-a-row, and has taken 2 college level aviation courses as a freshman in High School. He plans to get his pilots license and go to college for aeronautical engineering.

We've both only been in the hobby a little over a year and it has been a great bonding experience for us. He's already flying circles around me though. Flite Fest was our first event and it was absolutely incredible. I talked with you briefly one of the times that you had your 200% Stang out. You did a great job building and flying it.

Here is a picture of Keegan and I with Josh Bixler.

View attachment 28072

Yes! That's him! I do remember talking with you after flying my big mustang. I had only flown it once before and my heart was pounding flying it in front of a 1,000 people.

Keegan was super impressive flying that, well, whatever it's called. We spoke about his plane and what he would like to do next. He is one intelligent young man. I hope to see everyone again real soon.

Awesome Flynn, great read, I really can't wait for us to go to Neff next year and I get a chance to do some flying with the FT crew. It's going to be fantastic, anyways, cya at ournormal field tomorrow, same bat channel, same bat time... Kunai Maiden!!!!!!!!