Naze 32 or flip 32+ whats the diffrence i fly APM2.6 need somthing small

I've built 8 multirotors all using APM 2.6 wanting to get into a mini and need a small controller.
With that said I've always flown on alt hold and and rely hugely on compass and GPS I fly 550 size gopro ships way far out. I need a mini board with baro capability basically because im used to flying slow and want to take full advantage of a baro don't want to crash. I see both the flip 32+ and naze 32 full on ebay the naze is just a bit more money are the same and is the GUI the same? Ive done so much with Mission planner and Droid planner this is a whole new world for me.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203064142043919&set=t.1816710054&type=3&theater

jipp

sounds like you would be better off looking into BrainFPV and sparky 2 FC.
you will get some of your robot features it sounds like you will want.

the carbon zmr 250 frame is great, i like mine.. you did good for a mini frame.. lots of parts for it too. 3d printed spacer kit which i used with led bumpers etc.. so many parts for the zmr frame.. its pretty cool how creative people have got with there 3d printers.. saw a new one today where they printed out a top that was design to hold the RX/and fpv gear all neat and tidy..

iv seen naze 32 pdb zmr plates too. very cool if you ask me how creative people can get with a open platform.

chris.

Last edited:
Not trying to go for gps and robotic platform just want fun zippy but need alt hold of some sort for sure till I get comfortable.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Either board will run baseflight/cleanflight. I'd advise against going with the RTFQ board due to their shady business practices and horrible customer support.

But...Alt hold on baseflight/cleanflight is horrible. Even with a lot of time spent tuning it I never got it to hold much better than +/- 1-2 meters.

Tau (Sparky2/Brain) does alt hold far better, but it does alt hold as a separate mode while BF/CF does it as what I'd call an "overlay". Meaning that on BF/CF you would be in acro or auto-level or horizon mode and then could activate altitude hold on top of that mode. While in Tau altitude hold is it's own mode and is a "vario" mode where throttle no longer controls motor speed but instead controls altitude. And in Tau altitude hold works much better than on BF/CF even with no tuning. My flyingF4 Tau setup with an old lower acurace BMP085 baro sensor does a much better altitude hold with no tuning than my naze32 (with it's far more accurate baro) even with a lot of tuning.

Naze and it's derivatives are great for acro flying. They also do a nice auto-level and a nice horizon (mixed - auto-level near center stick acro as you move away from center) mode. But they really don't do assisted modes like altitude hold, position hold, return to home very well at all.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
And if you want to keep with the APM boards, don't forget there are now implementations of "Micro" APM and PX4 boards... so you can have the option of flying APM with robot modes or just with the APM acro mode which I've been flying on a mini-tri fairly well.

As well as I know APM I'd stick with it but I'd still need a compass at a minimum or the thing flat out won't fly I know I can tell it no gps loiter won't work but I'm pretty sure it must have a external compass

I also keep watching videos of the naze they look real locked in I've played with acro mode on my 450 size drone and it's soo squishy. It serously handles like a moose on stilts.

jipp

i think what you see in the videos really depends on quite a bit.. will come down to tuning and ones skill as a pilot. i think you will be ok with self level till you are ready to rock in roll.. not sure how APM works but i bet auto level is all you are really wanting.

chris.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I say go for the acro Naze32 and don't worry about the baro. Like jhitesma said, the alt hold doesn't work that well anyway. You will be able to find many tuning examples for a ZMR frame to get you started.

jipp

i wanted to say thanks for posting the url to the ZMR frame.. i think im gonna order some ESC from them.. 7% percent off free shipping.. may as well grab some of them DYS SN20 ESC plus they have a nifty USB programmer for for 8.00 for the DYS SN series ESC.

chrisl.

PhenomPilot

You should give the naze/flip FC a try. Alt/heading work ok but you are going to need to learn to fly without. It is not something I would rely on. Don't worry though! The quad will take a beating while you learn which is fine as it rarely ever breaks. I have the fiberglass frame and have broken two arms and the bottom plate in the last 9 months of flying it hard. Props are another story. I have probably broken well over 200 but you can get them for about $0.27 apiece. It is a blast once you get comfortable with it. Then fpv, flips, zipping through gaps! And more broken props :)

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I don't quite know what you mean by APM acro mode being "squishy" -- but the "mouse on stilts" mirrors all acro modes... in some way. you put it on an angle, it stays that way until you correct it. I liken it to "a marble on a plate" but actually it's more stable than that.

Don't forget that APM stabilize mode only uses the accelerometers and gyros... acro only uses the gyros in "non-beginner mode" -- which brings up another thing. The default acro mode in APM is configured for "beginner mode" where it will eventually self level if you put the sticks to neutral. It's actually a lot like horizon mode on the naze/clean/baseflight systems.

I have the beginner mode flag turned off.

If you fly APM with just stabilize, and acro modes -- you never need a GPS, compass, barometer, etc. You might need to disable some of the arm pre-flight checks, but it should work without those components.

I don't quite know what you mean by APM acro mode being "squishy" -- but the "mouse on stilts" mirrors all acro modes... in some way. you put it on an angle, it stays that way until you correct it. I liken it to "a marble on a plate" but actually it's more stable than that.

Don't forget that APM stabilize mode only uses the accelerometers and gyros... acro only uses the gyros in "non-beginner mode" -- which brings up another thing. The default acro mode in APM is configured for "beginner mode" where it will eventually self level if you put the sticks to neutral. It's actually a lot like horizon mode on the naze/clean/baseflight systems.

I have the beginner mode flag turned off.

If you fly APM with just stabilize, and acro modes -- you never need a GPS, compass, barometer, etc. You might need to disable some of the arm pre-flight checks, but it should work without those components.

I've got the acro full mode on flip and roll on my Reptile Aphid. And I think I'm probably going to end up doing a micro APM just basically for the familiarity of it. If the naze 32 or flip 32+ is no better than a micro APM I'll probably stick with that also keeps me from learning a all new GUI

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I have that HKPilot Micro APM. It's a neat board, but just be aware that they still have the onboard compass -- so it's basically an APM 2.5, and you will have to cut a teeny-tiny trace on the PCB to disable the onboard compass if you want to connect to an external compass.

I did that on mine, but it's a PITA, and Andre can attest to that!

I have that board mounted on a HK Trifecta -- even though the Trifecta was designed more with the Mini APM in mind -- not the micro.

ZoomNBoom

Altitude hold on a mini quad as a requirement doesn't make much sense. If you have been flying 8 multi rotors depending entirely on baro/compass/gps it's about time you learned to fly hands on, and a mini quad with naze or similar is perfect for that. Don't be afraid of crashing, you are going to crash, if you don't then you aren't trying hard enough. But they can take a lot of abuse, typically a crash means replacing a prop or two.

jipp

I have that HKPilot Micro APM. It's a neat board, but just be aware that they still have the onboard compass -- so it's basically an APM 2.5, and you will have to cut a teeny-tiny trace on the PCB to disable the onboard compass if you want to connect to an external compass.

I did that on mine, but it's a PITA, and Andre can attest to that!

I have that board mounted on a HK Trifecta -- even though the Trifecta was designed more with the Mini APM in mind -- not the micro.

good morning. im confused. why did you have to cut the PCB board?

chris.

I also use 12 volt 3 amp bec to run all the 12 volt camera stuff on my other drones because I run 4s on all of them. I've found 250 racer quad 4s esc but can't find a 4s 2000 kv ish motor