Need help 1st Tricopter build

WhyHelloThere

I'm currently building my first multirotor(had a toy-like quad before) and I seem to be encountering issues with my flight controller. I bought a Naze32 rev6 from the flitetest store, so I first tried to use it with baseflight, but it wouldn't recognize the tail servo, so I moved over to cleanflight. I loaded up the Travis firmware(build 2147) because it's the only firmware that seems to support the rev6 at the moment, but I'm experincing issues in flight. Whenever I roll the tri, it yaws as well. For example, if I roll to the right, it yaws to the right as well. I'm not sure if this is just how it's supposed to be on a tri, but it seems to me that the tail servo should compensate to prevent this. Also, it yaws very quickly to the right and not at all to the left, so I'm always spiraling. Note the tail servo isn't reversed, it's fighting in the right direction, it just won't do it enough. I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks in advance.

HowlingWolven

It might be a stupid question, but did you check that you're running the right props on the right motors? It sounds like your copter is torque rolling one way if it only yaws one way.

WhyHelloThere

To answer your question, yes I'm running all CW props and the motors are spinning in the right direction. I looked at the copter some more tonight, and now have a much simpler issue. I realized that the yawing when rolling issue is caused by insufficient trimming from my controller. I recalibrated the accelerometer and now its banking without yawing, but the tri is still yawing left even with the trim all the way right. I have a Spektrum dx4e, so I don't think I can change subtrims, so is there a way to change that within Cleanflight? Thanks

trevoof

Perhaps it's best to adjust the hardware in this case, you can try taking apart the tilt mechanism and re-assemble and align the servo splines so that there is some tilt at zero trim and it more or less compensates the yaw. Check out David's video:

https://youtu.be/xY1EJpPZgSc?t=12m39s

I won't recommend trimming while the tricopter is hovering though if it's the first time you are flying one of these things. Safer to land it after each test and trim.

Last edited:

WhyHelloThere

That's exactly what I did to put the hardware within the trimming range of the transmitter if that makes any sense. Thank you!!! Now I'm just down to typical issues like rear servo wobble, but I can work through that with some fine tuning. Thanks again!