Need help, new user.

Trabbs98

So I’m in Alaska, I have recently started a company and I’m looking into cheaper alternatives to thermal imaging and other fire related jobs that would require a fixed wing drone that would be able to do long range missions. Also something that would at least need 45 missions from it. Anyone interested in the start up please help.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
.....drone that would be able to do long range missions....
So what are you considering as long range? To some, “long range” is a mile to others it’s 10+ miles.
What are you needing help with?

Trabbs98

I mean long range as big as a couple hundred acres. I don’t know anything about drones. I suppose my next step is to get the basic classes to even fly for for work. After that it’s the actual build of the aircraft. Would thermal cam be to heavy? To be up front, from scratch.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I mean long range as big as a couple hundred acres. I don’t know anything about drones. I suppose my next step is to get the basic classes to even fly for for work. After that it’s the actual build of the aircraft. Would thermal cam be to heavy? To be up front, from scratch.

There are already commercial setups designed for stuff like this, why would you want to try to build one from scratch from hobby parts? There would be a massive learning curve to build/design/etc.

Regarding weight, it just comes down how much lifting your drone has. People fly full size kimono reds and other stuff like that. Flite Test has flown foam planes that carried a 10+lb payload, so it definately can be done. The only weight limit that you would have for a drone that I know of is a take off weight of 55lb (but that might only be for hobby stuff).

A couple hundred acres might push your ability to legally do the flying right now as there isn't any Beyond Visual Line of Sight allowance in the rules (you might be able to apply for one with the FAA if your part 107, but you would need to do some lookup on that).

Trabbs98

Awe I see. Yeah as I said I’m new to this. I have seen a few set ups on my short resource on the topic.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
....a couple hundred acres.....Would thermal cam be to heavy?....
200-300 acres would be fairly easy to do with a quad, a fixed wing craft could do 640+/- acres (a square mile) with out a lot of effort.

No idea how much a thermal camera weighs. A fixed wing plane will carry more additional weight than a quad. Most of my planes will have a flying around 25-30 Oz. Another 6-8 Oz would not be much of an issue. If you need more payload, the plane will need to be redesigned. The quad could also carry the weight but the flight time will be reduced.

JasonK

200 acres perfectly square would be ~984 yards on a side and the diagonal would be 1291 yards. If you stood in the middle, that would mean the far edges of your flight area would be ~600 yards away. So probably do able in that situation for LOS requirements - at least for a plane [I know I could see my Tiny Trainer at about 400 yards when I had fly away, but it was getting to be a speck at that point], I am less sure about a quad.

Trabbs98

It’s still my first day on research remember. I’m thinking of dropping around 7 to 9 grand into this. So I’m really stressing this thing has to do more than one mission. I’d also have to take a 40 hour course for just the basics of flying one. Plus more unknown hours for fire requirements

Trabbs98

My ultimate goal is to make this part safer and easier than the alternative. Which is a helicopter at 7000 dollars an hour.

JasonK

fire requirements? is this meant to be a fire search craft? if so, you wouldn't be standing in the middle of the area being searched (just take that into account when thinking about the visibility rules)

JasonK

My ultimate goal is to make this part safer and easier than the alternative. Which is a helicopter at 7000 dollars an hour.

yup all sorts of uses for drones for mapping/scanning/etc to make that safer and cheaper. Just some of the FAA regulations limit some of the things you can currently do with them.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
It’s still my first day on research remember. I’m thinking of dropping around 7 to 9 grand into this....
Its best to start slowly and take it one step at a time. Learn to fly first, then build the plane of your dreams. Just remember, no matter reliable they say the equipment is, all of it will fail. Don’t put anything it the air you are not prepared to lose.

The FT moto is: Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat

Trabbs98

Yeah no I’d be more of a look out spot. And requirements like fire safety with aircraft. Diffident stuff like that, the basics is required. Basics is a pilots license. There’s the whole other side to consider to like the actual people under the air craft. I don’t really hear much of unmanned cameras doing the job. Mostly feds

Trabbs98

yup all sorts of uses for drones for mapping/scanning/etc to make that safer and cheaper. Just some of the FAA regulations limit some of the things you can currently do with them.
Awe really. I’m going to be applying for the class to get the basic requirements. They mostly use drones for basic fire info. Not even for the whole fire. Just smaller mods and jobs.

JetCrafts

200 acres perfectly square would be ~984 yards on a side and the diagonal would be 1291 yards. If you stood in the middle, that would mean the far edges of your flight area would be ~600 yards away. So probably do able in that situation for LOS requirements - at least for a plane [I know I could see my Tiny Trainer at about 400 yards when I had fly away, but it was getting to be a speck at that point], I am less sure about a quad.
thinking this is a fire thing we should expect to start from edges so the plane has to cross 1291 yards which can be easily done by a good plane
but how long doesit have to be in the air

JasonK

thinking this is a fire thing we should expect to start from edges so the plane has to cross 1291 yards which can be easily done by a good plane
but how long doesit have to be in the air

I was just pointing out that they might need to consider visual line of site rules given the size of the area(s) they are planning on 'scanning'. I have no question that an appropriately setup plan or quad could fly and be controlled at that distance. I was just commenting about one of the requirements that could cause a problem.

JetCrafts

I was just pointing out that they might need to consider visual line of site rules given the size of the area(s) they are planning on 'scanning'. I have no question that an appropriately setup plan or quad could fly and be controlled at that distance. I was just commenting about one of the requirements that could cause a problem.
ya I hope this guy gets in touch with profs in this, like people who are topnotch professionals like higher than Bixler

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I have seen a few drones online that are around 6k-24k that have all of this and they can fly for up to 12 hours, might want to look into buying something that can do the job instead of trying to make something, although it would be super cool. Another possible way to do it would be to contact someone who is really good at making/flying stuff like this, and offer to pay them a good price to help you develop and build this drone.