Need to replace whipit mini dlg thin foam rudder and elevator

sumone

My lil dlg Rudder is looking a little worse for wear and rather buying a new one
i wanted to make my own.
but here in australia its hard to find very thin foam (I guess Cos were so green).
foam disposable plates are almost non existent unless i want to buy 100 of them from ebay.
has anyone here in au come across a product made of very thin foam i could use .

I was thinking mabey mcdonalds pancake box. Not sure
anyone else got any ideas ?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I made a new tail for my old Champ out of 3mm Depron, (Extreme hangar rash in that I stood on it accidentally), and it is still flying OK.

If needed I could find a photo for proof I may have a few scraps if you cannot find it anywhere though I am located in Deagon and you would need to be somewhat desperate to come and collect the scraps but they are available if you really want them.

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
Green is good! What thickness? I've been able to swedge down Depron foam to make small thinner parts. I just use a round cylinder type object and keep rolling over it, pressing harder on the areas that I want thinner. They hold up well.

sumone

Good news

I made a new tail for my old Champ out of 3mm Depron, (Extreme hangar rash in that I stood on it accidentally), and it is still flying OK.

If needed I could find a photo for proof I may have a few scraps if you cannot find it anywhere though I am located in Deagon and you would need to be somewhat desperate to come and collect the scraps but they are available if you really want them.

MCdonalds now use cardboard for there pancakes .
But I managed to track down some thin foam plates from a company that sells foam containers near my work.
they had some on clearance only cost me $15

still not sure what to do with the other 499 plates :confused:
pplates.jpg

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
998 toothpick gliders?
499 Walkalong gliders?
248 Free-flight DLGs?
124 UMX FT Arrows?
62 UMX FT22's?

Dunno. lots of possibility in that box :)

Good to hear you've sourced the materials. Let us know how it goes and post a pic when you can of your black-tailed whippit!

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Something that is used quite a lot in some circles, especially the VTPR ones, is to make the control surfaces out of balsa, because it doesn't bend like foam does so it remains rigid, it's easy to fix if you break one (touch of glue and it's like new), and in some countries (not sure for you) it's relatively cheap and easy to get hold of.