New Gremlin build - ready for 1st flight - but my motors keep shutting off

kDub-Racer

Got through the build and configuration following TJ's video, and was hoping for first flight. But while doing some bench testing rev-ups, my motors cut out at about 1/2 throttle. Every time I arm and spin up faster than my "idle" speed (about 1045), the motors cut off.

Could this be due to my DX6 servo settings cranked up to 143% (which was recommended in another thread to fix non-responsiveness)? What else should I be looking at? New to quads, BetaFlight and all the config options, so just need some ideas on what to investigate and try next...

Thanks

kDub-Racer

Ahh, Thanks! Good to know, and a good feature!

Just did a line-of-sight maiden flight. Little Gremlin flies like a dream! Now if only I had an infinite battery...

Speaking of Batteries, does anyone know if you can fly a 950mAh (2cell 30C) battery in the stock gremlin? Or will i smoke the innards?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Any 2s battery will be flown fine with it. The only consideration would be weight. They can carry a significant weight and fly well as I have had mine up on 3s 800mah packs with an all up weight of 187 g. It wasn't very happy but it did it. I have been flying 3s 450 mah 45 c packs from Pulse batteries and they rock. The Gremlin is fast and agile and very happy flying at the 146 g it is now. You will probably have more wiggle room as I use a heavy runcan micro swift 2 and a VTX03 on mine which adds quite a bit over the AIO camera / vtx most people use.

Just be careful and keep a tight eye on temps if you try 3s like I do. These motors can smoke in a matter of seconds if you don't have a good tune on them with 3s.

kDub-Racer

Good info, thanks PsyBorg!

"These motors can smoke in a matter of seconds if you don't have a good tune on them with 3s"

Any good threads or vids on best practices for tuning the motors/esc's?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The Gremlins are a bit different to tune then larger quads. I will point you to a few vids that really helped me learn. The Gremlin is just a matter of using rates around 750-800 degrees per second, a higher min throttle ! 1055-1070 depending on weight and then its literally raise the P gains 5 points at a time fly for a no more then 15 - 30 seconds and then feel the motors. It is best to get a good 2s tune first then you can adjust for 3s easier with less worries of an insta fry situation.

I recommend NOT using any of the fancy filters and modes at first until you have the PIDS as best as you can get. THEN make sure you use Joshua Bardwells video on the correct procedure for turning on the new filters and turning off old if you choose to use them. I don't bother with them personally I just leave what ever gets flashed in place and use Pids and rates to get the performance I want.

And this one is for all the fancy filters and all that. I have not done all this stuff on any of my gear yet as I have found it unnecessary but each person has different likes and abilities so I will pass this on. Just make sure you understand you are using filters at your own risk and if not used properly you will set free the magic smoke.