Help! New motor has shaft on opposite as desired

Andy.T.

I excitedly bought a new motor that had a significantly higher power rating than the orange Flashhobby of the same size I've been using. This is the motor:

I thought I read once upon a time about flipping a motor like this around so that the shaft comes out the other side. All the planes I've built recently have the motor mounting on the outside of the firewall, not the inside. I don't even know how I'd attach this to my swappable firewall without it being flipped around. Any advice would be much appreciated!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Sometimes you can remove the snap ring, the bell and shaft will then be removable. After removing those, you may find a set screw that holds the shaft in place. Either flip the shaft around, or slide the shaft into the alternate position and re-tighten the set screw.

This may depend on if the motor was designed to be flipped....

quorneng

Master member
Andy.T.
Notice the motor has bolt holes at both ends.
In the third picture down on the web site a line drawing shows two prop mountings. The upper is a convention taper prop adapter that goes on the shaft. The lower diagram is for a "bolt on" prop adaptor that can be fixed to end of the bell housing. This allows the the motor to be mounted ahead of the fire wall.
You would have to make a hole in the firewall for the unused shaft to poke through. This can be an issue if the battery is right behind the fire wall.
Is this component and four additional bolts included with your motor?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I thought I read once upon a time about flipping a motor like this around so that the shaft comes out the other side....I don't even know how I'd attach this to my swappable firewall without it being flipped around....
As LB said it is possible to flip the shaft in the motor. I’ve done it many times.

As quorneng said, there are adapters that attach to the bell. I have several motors with this feature.

The other possibility, as you said, flip the motor inside the power pod. You may need to make the PP a bit longer than stock.

Last edited:

Andy.T.

This is what the motor came with (plus some extra bullet connectors which weren't relevant).
Thanks for the info, guys! I understand that adapter now, that's pretty slick! I don't think the extra shaft sticking behind the firewall will be an issue, as initial plane it'll go in is a swappable P-40, so only thing directly behind it is open space and esc & wires. I suppose I'll want to secure the ESC just incase it was prone to move around too much in the power pod.
I'll definitely need to drill a shaft whole in the board I mount to for testing, though.

1689865303736.png

danskis

Master member
@Andy.T. - once you use that adaptor you may want to cut off that motor shaft that is sticking out behind the firewall. In a crash it can penetrate and ruin your battery. A dremel with a cut off wheel will do it. A hack saw may do it too. Wrap your motor in a rag to prevent filings from getting in the motor.

Andy.T.

@Andy.T. - once you use that adaptor you may want to cut off that motor shaft that is sticking out behind the firewall. In a crash it can penetrate and ruin your battery. A dremel with a cut off wheel will do it. A hack saw may do it too. Wrap your motor in a rag to prevent filings from getting in the motor.
Thanks, that's a really good point; I'll keep my eye on that as a potential problem. I'm a pro with a Dremel; in model warship combat, <sarcasm>all you need to build a ship is a dremel and enough CA </slight-sarcasm>. But, would you have any concerns with putting the motor out of balance when monkeying with the shaft using imperfect hand-tools?

Gotta say, I'm sometimes embarrassed with the silly questions I ask, but I appreciate having people that always come up with good help!

danskis

Master member
Well I hadn't thought about balance but since the shaft is centered I doubt cutting off the back part will make it out of balance.

Last edited: