New to FPV, looking for good FPV Ship.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey all,

I finally took the plunge into the deep dark FPV waters and bought a hobby king 200 mw FPV system. I have done some extensive research on the topic, and have flown FPV aircraft before, but I'm looking for a different sort of platform than most of the fast and furious miniquads I see around.:p

I'm interested in a long duration stable aircraft with good gliding ability, My first thought was the bixler, but I can't seem to get it anywhere but the international warehouse.

Has anyone used the Simple soarer for FPV before? I saw a thread to extensively modify one to a pusher, but I didn't find any plans. Also, has anyone flown the IBcrazy specter for FPV? I have a similar design that works very well for LOS, but I have no idea how it will feel FPV.
Lastly, if someone knows of a good tutorial on how to put a Gopro 3 in video out mode and hook it up to hobby king equipment I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

joshuabardwell

Mentor
The Specter is specifically designed to be an FPV "basher" plane (flying close proximity around obstacles). It would not fit your description of "long duration stable, with good gliding". Consider a Radian maybe? I believe it is a little more powerful than the Radian Pro out of the box, and has a little more in-built stability, with the up-turned wings. You should be able to find a U.S. source for it.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
I was in the same planning stage a few months ago, and I wanted to get a Bix3 for an FPV platform, which wasn't available at that time in the USA warehouses. I was even considering buying it piecemeal from the replacement parts...when lo and behold they got the Bix3 PNF version in stock at the USA East warehouse in late December, and I bought one. Out of curiosity I followed the stock status after that, expecting it to sell right out -- but it didn't. It remained in-stock there for a month or so at least. It must have only recently gone back out of stock. So keep an eye on the stock status anyway, you never know.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I like the radian, but its a little (ok, a lot) out of my price range, Is anyone out there using Scratchbuilt FPV planes, or are kits/arfs the way to go?

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Scratchbuilt is fine. Nothing wrong with that. If you have a plane like the Specter, just get it up and fly it, even if it's not exactly what you might want.

ExperimentalRC

Look at the RMRC surfer 1500. It is almost exactly the same things as a bixler, but you know you are dealing with ReadyMadeRC, which has great customer service and is an american company. It also looks like rmrc will be making/selling upgrades for it.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
Hey that's a great suggestion...I never noticed they had that plane. Just a little smaller than a Bix3 and without the flap preconfiguration (but could no doubt still be modded for flaps if desired). I just made my first order from ReadyMadeRC recently, for some odds and ends. They shipped the day after my order was placed and it came a couple of days later.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll have a look into them. I will probably wind up going with a scratch build for the first platform (I'm only home for a week for Spring break), but this summer maybe I can swing a Bixler or RMRC surfer.:D