New to the Forums and first question.. hello all!

J-Kill

I have built the FT flyer and the FT Delta using the pdf plans on line, both turned out very well from what i can't tell. (i am completely new to this)
I have ordered all of my electronics that i will need based off of the suggested electronics list on the website. the only thing that was un available, was the ESC are all on back order on the hobby king website. (I'm in Ontario Canada)

it is suggested that an 18Amp? i think is recommended for the Planes. all are on back order (turnigy plush) as well as the 20Amp ESC's are all on back order

like i said i'm very new and don't copmletly understand most of the hobby.

can i use a 25amp esc with the motor i ordered? (Turnigy Park300 Brushless Outrunner 1380kv)

and if not can anyone suggest an ESC that would work that i can get on a reliable website?

if i am leaving out any information that is needed please let me know what else i should be posting

thanks everyone!

Mytmerc83

Anything over the recommended amp will work fine, that is till weight becomes an issues. Also stick close to the prop size so you keep the motor and ESC in there working range.

J-Kill

Thanks for there response

so that means i should be okay with this ESC?

500mah 3s lipo
Turnigy Park300 Brushless Outrunner 1380kv
and
TURNIGY Basic 25amp Speed Controller w/BEC

for my FT Flyer and FT Delta???

like i said totally new at this

slyke

500mah 3s lipo
and

for my FT Flyer and FT Delta???

Welcome to the site!

Those will work fine together. If you are looking for another option for speed controllers I would recommend Turnigy Plush.
Don't forget to battery and and motor connectors.
-Stephen

I have built the FT flyer and the FT Delta using the pdf plans on line, both turned out very well from what i can't tell. (i am completely new to this)
I have ordered all of my electronics that i will need based off of the suggested electronics list on the website. the only thing that was un available, was the ESC are all on back order on the hobby king website. (I'm in Ontario Canada)

it is suggested that an 18Amp? i think is recommended for the Planes. all are on back order (turnigy plush) as well as the 20Amp ESC's are all on back order

like i said i'm very new and don't copmletly understand most of the hobby.

can i use a 25amp esc with the motor i ordered? (Turnigy Park300 Brushless Outrunner 1380kv)

and if not can anyone suggest an ESC that would work that i can get on a reliable website?

if i am leaving out any information that is needed please let me know what else i should be posting

thanks everyone!

Hey J-Kill - welcome to the forum. I started off with a HURC 10 amp ESC.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-10-Amp-ESC-with-Linear-BEC-G-671.htm

I get most of my stuff from Head's Up hobby. They ship very fast. Usually I order stuff on a Saturday and it's at my doorstep by Wednesday. If I don't get it from them, I use Grayson Hobby.

The 10 amp ESC is light and fits well in the mini planes and fits the amp rating. If you go over 20 amp ESC then they weigh more. If you browse the motors on Heads Up they do a lot of the homework for you. If you see a motor, they link you to the right ESC and prop. Personally with the FT Flyer I use a 1600KV Blue Wonder, 10 amp HURC ESC, and a 800 mah 2S. I do like using 500mah 3s which gives more power but the flight times aren't as long.

I use a 7X6 prop which work really well on the FT Flyer. A big downside is they break easy but I buy 10-15 at a time. If I could find a prop that worked as well that was more durable I would be all over it but just haven't found anything yes.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/GWS-7060-Propeller-ONE-GRAY-7-Slow-Fly-Prop-B-270.htm

Last edited:

Swanno

Bullet connectors are generally used to connect the motor to the ESC. If I remember correctly the Hobby King escs don't usually come with bullet connectors so I bought 3mm bullet connectors to connect to my motor. If you go down this road you will have to solder and heat shrink the connectors on the esc yourself. It's not too difficult but if you don't have a soldering iron or heat shrink you would also need to go out of your way and make another purchase. You may also have to purchase XT60 or what ever desired connector you want to use. The XT60 is pretty common however and generally most batteries come with XT60 connectors. That is the yellow connector connected to the red and black wire coming out of the esc in the power pack b image in the flite test store.

https://store.flitetest.com/power-pack-b-fixed-wing-small/

The bullet connectors are located on the three wires on the motor and 3 on the esc. Too bad the b fixed wing power pack is out of stock at the moment.

Flite Test offers these parts with these connectors already soldered with heat shrink on them for ease of use. Hobby King will tend to make you do that step yourself.

Last edited:

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
When you buy an ESC usually it doesn't come with any connectors.

For the motor you can either use bullet connectors of an appropriate size or solder the 3 wires directly. The only problem with soldering the three motor wires is that he have to be sure the motor will turn the correct way before you solder the last two. Switching two wires reverses the motor. For some ESCs and Flight controllers on multirotors you can reverse the motor in the flight controller software but for fixed wing use that is not usually possible.

For the battery side you need to attach the male connector - the one with the pins - that mates with the female connector on you battery.

For example if you bought this battery...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21330__ZIPPY_Compact_500mAh_3S_25C_Lipo_Pack.html

It has a JST RCY main battery connector - the red one - and you will need to get these...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...T_battery_pigtail_12cm_length_10pcs_bag_.html
to solder to the ESC so you can connect it to the battery.

Note JST RCY connectors are named for the gender of their casing not the electrical pins and sockets as is the common convention.

If you were to buy one of these...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...50mah_2S_65_130C_Lipo_Pack_AR_Warehouse_.html

It has an female XT60 and you will need to get some of these...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10414__Male_XT60_Connectors_5pcs_bag_GENUINE.html

To solder onto your ESC so you can connect it to the battery.

Last edited:
If you look at the ESC's on Head's up site a lot of them come with bullet connectors. It really does save some time if you don't have all the soldering equipment. I really don't like soldering but it's a tool set that I came to find is essential in this hobby.

J-Kill

Oh wow ok i didnt realize the esc didnt already come with the plugs on it, thats good to know...

Here is what i've ordered so far, if anyone wants to toss any ideas or input regarding this set up

HobbyKing HK6S 2.4Ghz FHSS 6Ch Tx & Rx (Mode 2)
GWS EP Propeller (RD-8043 203x109mm) green (6pcs/set)
Linkage Stopper D1.8mm (10pcs)
HXT500 Micro Servo 0.6kg / 0.08sec / 6.2g

So i think that leaves the ESC and some other things like control horns and stuff????

Also does anyone have any experience ordering from canada/what is the best website(s) for ordering

thanks again to everyone for the help!

J-Kill

is what i'm hoping to use???

i will check the heads up site for ESC with Bullet connectors... will the motor i ordered come with bullet connectors??? or will i need to install those/does a motor use these?

again, completely new at this.

Thanks again!

is what i'm hoping to use???

i will check the heads up site for ESC with Bullet connectors... will the motor i ordered come with bullet connectors??? or will i need to install those/does a motor use these?

again, completely new at this.

Thanks again!

I looked at the motor on the HobbyKing site and it does not appear to have bullet connectors.

Here is what I would recommend from Head's Up:

motor

http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-300-Blue-Wonder-1400kv-Brushless-Motor-G-272.htm

ESC

http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-10-Amp-ESC-with-Linear-BEC-G-671.htm

I've been using the 10 amp ESC with a 3s 500mah and 2S 800 mah battery and it is not too many amps. If you look at the chart they say with a 3S battery just be sure not to run constant full throttle.

The ESC and motor I list come with 2mm bullet connectors installed. I would recommend you go ahead and get the Blue Wonder so you don't have to fool around with soldering on your first go. You can keep the Turnigy and at your leisure watch some videos on soldering and solder the connectors. If you are like me, you want something plug and play at your first go. This combination would get you started but if you stay in the hobby long enough you will want to learn to solder. They ship rc accessories to Canada so you are luck. Just post if you have other questions. You may get some other opinions but this is the combo someone recommended for me when I started with the 3 pack swappable kit and it works pretty good for me. They also have a motor that works well for the minis with bullet connectors installed; just ping me if you have questions.

Last edited:

Mytmerc83

J-kill depends where in Canada but Great Hobbies is a great source and they carry flite test stuff and on thier site once you pull up flite test in kits the top of the page has recommended parts this should have option for what you can use and what they have. They are coast to coast in Canada.