New to this forum and R/C

bsotak

New to this forum and R/C - Need Advice on 1st MultiRotor

I've always wanted to get into multirotors and drones, and am thinking of finally taking the plunge. I've done a little bit of research and reading online, and I see that the best thing is to start small to get the hang of things first. I've been looking at the Blade Nano QX or the Ares Ethos QX 130. I just want to get my feet wet, learn to fly, and then maybe build up something like the DragonFly. I'd eventually like to get into video, but I'm a long way off from that. Please let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:

quadsview

Welcome to the Flite Test forums. Yes you are right , it is very wise to buy something like the Nano qx before you get into something larger. After that I would say something like the Drgonfly or Zmr 250.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Hey, welcome to the forum :).

Starting small is a perfectly reasonable idea. I only know the Nano QX, but I'm loving that as do a lot of others here on the forum :)

bsotak

Thanks guys. The Ethos really just appears to be a bit larger (and can be flown outside in calm conditions). That's my main reason for leaning towards that one. But I really didn't see much online about it and wanted to make sure I did the right thing. The Nano has the ability to go into Agility mode to help learn flying better, so I didn't know if that should be what I choose. Or is there another one I should be looking at?

brettp2004

You can also get something like the syma x1 from amazon for about $40 to learn on. That's what I learned on and my son (5yo) is flying it now.

jipp

welcome. i too am like you.. as i want to get into photos.. not much on speed but the guys tell me once i start flying a larger multirotor ill get addicted to speed. laughs. so what i did was buy a nano qx, and a flight simulator. i practice about 2 hours a day in the flight sim.. and depending on the wind fly the quad out side. i was getting pretty good with the blade nano qx in acurbat mode in side then i went out side and i was like starting all over again because of the wind. the blade nano weights i think 12g? so it does not like a lot of wind.. however, im already improving and now my flying inside is getting better. basically what im getting from this since i bought the ready to fly and the range is very limited. is muscle memory, and starting to learn the orientation of the quad... i ordered a carbon fiber 250 size kit. it should be here around the 17th .. i need a few more things as im starting from scratch in the rc world.. have to buy a TX, battery charger, battery's etc.. so its gonna take me another month before im flying the 250 i figure.. but i will say the blade nano qx is very durable all iv done is broke the body a few times and super glued it together. i found a template to make a paper body for it once my green body gets destroyed. heh. welcome to the forum.. and i think the blade nano qx is a great way to start. im glad i went this way. rock on
chris..

HarleyRev

Dromida is a good starter quad too , it has stability mode , very easy to learn to fly with for me. Like all other small toy drones it wont fly well outside in wind 5mph plus.

If you break it , parts are cheap and easy to find. $80 .

I flew it inside to learn to fly. Started out just hovering and slow easy movements , when my confidence level went up I then started flying it in different orientations to learn the movements that way . Then I built a 400mm quad and was very glad I had learned on something smaller and less powerful.

What ever you get , buy a few extra props , batteries and motors.

Good luck !