NoAgendaDrones FT Mini Spear

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I have loved all of the FT designed wings I have built and flown. I built a blunt nose Versa Wing and had fun soaring on windy days and even dropping things from a glued on cargo bay i designed. Then I decided to try to build a smaller VersaBN, I went with 70% and had a blast with a few variants of it that I made (see Avatar), here is info on those builds http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?19439-Neve-s-70-Blunt-nise-Versa-Wing-build. I was excited when the FT Mini Arrow came out since it was about the same wingspan as the 70% Versa Wings and they are so much easier to transport. When the Arrow came out I built one of those, then I tried out a Nano Arrow, http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?25686-NoAgendaDrones-NanoArrow, using Eflite UMX electronics. It flew rather well for the quick build it was, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=162_bAvL51M After building a few versions of the Arrow, with LEDs and FPV and different battery configurations and things, the FT Spear was released. I love the look and functionality I see in other's builds, but wanted a smaller version.

So I finally got around to it, and printed out 75% scaled down plans of the FT Spear, this brings it out to the same wingspan as the Arrow. There were only a few modifications I had to do, like expanding the gaps for A and B folds, but it was a pretty easy conversion. I have the wing 90% done now and hope to maiden it soon.

FT Mini Spear Specs:
Wing span:
30.5 inches
Weight: Around 400g no battery, around 500g with a 1000mAh 3S, and around 562g with a 2200mAh 3S (these weights were before the vertical tails and final decorating were done, so they will change a little)
Motor: Emax 2205 2300kv red bottom
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controller w/BEC
Prop: HQprop 5045 BN
Servos: Turnigy™ TGY-50090M 9g Metal geared analog
Receiver: OrangeRx R620X V2
FPV kit: TBS Unify Pro 5.8g, RotorRiot Swift, ImmersionRC antenna, and fake GoPro for recording

Here are some pictures from along the build process so far:

0225170916_zpsbmrgljjh.jpg

2200mAh battery for size reference.
0225170916a_zps6lf3jwp3.jpg

Getting the electronics installes, 6" prop pictured here.
0226170937_zpsimagi6jj.jpg

5" prop installed now.
02271719072_zpsnpysyegd.jpg

I hope to complete this build in the next few nights and will post up final pictures as well as hopefully a maiden!

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Got the wingtips installed tonight, think she is ready for a maiden! All up weight with a 2200mAh 3S Zippy Compact battery is 570g. I also added a switch that allows me to turn the tail lights on and off, I'll get video of that at some point.

0228172025a2_zpso9qqlpa3.jpg

I added a second layer to the insides of the bottom of the verticals for better wear on landings.

02281720272_zpsdqlpd9yc.jpg

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Got her out for a quick maiden yesterday. My 2200mAh batteries were still in storage mode, so I put 2x 1000mAh batteries in parallel and the balance was nice. Flew nice and smooth LOS as soon as I tossed it in the air. I used a 6x45R prop, 5x45R Bull Nose props should be in the post today. Got a 4 minute flight in and both batteries were still at 56% so I think I can get at least 6 min flights. The fauxPro (fake GoPro) camera must be a little loose in the mount, the video recorded was way shakier than what I had in the goggles. Unfortunately I didn't record the FPV footage. Hope to get some flights in this weekend too.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Got another flight in tonight, right at dusk so my camera didn't do all that well, but it was a fun flight. Got about 6mins in on a 2200mAh battery and still had 45% left, so I'm happy with the flight times over the Arrow.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I got four batteries in this weekend up in PA near my mom's house. Saturday was really windy, but the Mini Spear handled it great. Sunday morning there was no wind so I was able to improve on my FPV skills. Video from those flights is coming together.

While I still had some daylight I decided to go to a spot near my house and fly a few more packs. I started following a dirt road, under and between some trees, was having a blast. Then on the one out leg I tried to roll over and loop back towards myself. As soon as I rolled over I realized I wasn't going to have the height for the loop and tried to roll out...too late. Straight into a fence.

0305171642_zpsyeivqqm3.jpg

Sadly, other than my now two piece Mini Spear, my GoPro battery ejected so i didn't get that video :( I did get the FPV DVR, enjoy.

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Here is the video from earlier in the weekend, before the fence flight. Cut down 18mins to about 2mins of "highlights." Not too much in there from the Saturday flights because it was so windy I didn't do much flying near the ground or between trees and stuff. Can't wait to get the next one built and flying again!

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Started build number 2 tonight. I actually traced out 2 wings, but will completely build one airframe before going back to the 2 set. Ended up getting the wing halves together and glued into shape. Hopefully tomorrow night I'll have a new Mini Spear ready to fly.

03071717572_zpsq2qvb4vx.jpg

This time I expanded the servo holes in my card stock printed plans, made it a lot easier to get a servo in once built. On the first one I had to cut the hole bigger as a glued together wing.

0307171948a2_zpsyaqshrc9.jpg

I will make a few other small mods, like the battery lead needs to be a tiny bit longer, and the camera slot in the front will be widened to fit the go Pro and FPV camera together.

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Got the new Mini Spear built and flying. This build was a bit rushed because a friend is only in town for a little and I want to get some FPV chase in with him before he leaves. The next one will be a slower and better build. But this one flies just fine! Had a light wind and the sun was low and impacted the GoPro and FPV cameras, but she handles just fine for having fun. All up weight, with 2200mAh/3S battery in her is 575g, I think the extra 5g might be in the wider FPV/camera tray.

Now both cameras are on the wood mount.
0309171828b_zpswqwxixyw.jpg

03091718282_zpsgufz0sw6.jpg

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Met up with my buddy WoodyinMD for some FPV chase flying, turns out we never ended up chasing each other....

He brought out his big Icon A5 and flew it off the water, I got in a flight or 2 with the Mini Spear, then we did fly at the same time. I tossed my MS into the air and then he tossed his Mini Arrow up and we tried to find each other but it was really windy and just maintaining our own course, let alone trying to properly find each other, was a lot of work. He ended up "losing signal," not sure if it was before or after he hit the ground. I circled back to where he thought he was and wasn't able to see him in my FPV goggles. Landed and we jumped in my truck to go looking for it. We were able to pick up his video transmission, but it was very blurry and gave not help to finding it. We ended up finding it laying in a cow pasture, with some very inquisitive young calfs trying to figure out what this white beeping thing was, his ESC was chirping after he had shutoff his radio. Turned out that the FPV camera lens had been pushed in, taking it out of focus.

I tossed my Mini Spear back up for a few more flights and then was coming in a quick pace down the dirt road where we were flying. Well some ghost branches decided to stop that from happening and I shredded my second Mini Spear, so far I'm out $3 on two aircraft :D

0312171619_HDR_zpsxzl5ea0n.jpg

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Awaiting an PDB/OSD board to come in the mail before I can finish this build, hopefully will have the full build video this weekend or early next week!

I am installing this PDB/OSD to get some battery life/usage data for FPV flying, mainly the mAh drawn so far. http://www.getfpv.com/quadrevo-powerosd-pro.html
quadrevo-powerosd-pro-2.jpg

I also found that the lens on my Runcam Swift is done! It had some internal cracks after hitting the fence, but was still usable. Not sure if the tree or me dropping it while extracting it from build 1.1 did the damage, but it won't work for FPV anymore. I have a 2.1mm and a 2.5mm replacement lenses on their way.

03141722022_zpsohsgg3ot.jpg

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
My third Mini Spear is finished.

03171722512_zpsnwrgzuph.jpg

0317172251a2_zps33ptsnf8.jpg

0317172251b2_zpsrogh0dil.jpg

Unfortunately my new camera didn't properly save the videos of the rest of the build. Luckily the way I fly build 4 won't be far behind :D

Last edited:

Q3001

Very cool! Love the new build! I really want to try your design, I think this will be my next wing once I smash up my current mini arrow. :D

Great flight videos, keep 'em coming!

MGeo

Nice builds. After fling both your Mini-Spear and 70% Versa blunt, how would you say the two compare? Any noticeable difference in low speed performance?