Old Fogey wing support / reinforcement

MEGAjig

Hi Guys,

I folded the wings on my dads Fogey today trying to do a loop (yes I know it is not designed for that). What is the best way to reinforce the wing to make sure it doesn't happen again? I quickly taped a BBQ skewer on the under side in the bend of the wing to act as a spar but I want to build a new wing and make it stronger from the get go. Any ideas and or alternate wing designs?

Thanks

BTW, this is the video of me folding the wings

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Boxing the center section would make it stronger, but you would lose the undercamber there. It might be worth a shot though to build a test wing to see if it works.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Boxing the center section would make it stronger, but you would lose the undercamber there. It might be worth a shot though to build a test wing to see if it works.

I built a plane with the same "cracked" wing airfoil as the Old Fogey, except my wings where 60" long with a 10" cord. I made the center part of the wing (30" long) with a flat bottom and then had the wing tips undercambered. My plane also had dihedral on the wing tips. Basically, I know from experience that making the center part of the wing flat bottom, just add a piece of foam board to the bottom, strengthens the wings enough to do loops. Although technically the loop I tried to do with my plane was unsuccessful, but that's because I ran out of room and nose dived into the ground. But the wings out lasted the plane.

MEGAjig

Thanks for the tip. I think that's what I will do. I will cut the fuselage straight and then make the bottom of the wing flat with a foam spar for reinforcement. That should also strengthen the leading edge as well which is important as my dad is drawn to trees for some reason. I'll let you know how it loops :D

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thanks for the tip. I think that's what I will do. I will cut the fuselage straight and then make the bottom of the wing flat with a foam spar for reinforcement. That should also strengthen the leading edge as well which is important as my dad is drawn to trees for some reason. I'll let you know how it loops :D
I don't think it's just your dad. I've had trees jump out in front of me more than once. I think they are jealous of the planes mobility and wait in ambush to take them out...