Oversized props?

So I currently have a Hobby Zone Super Cub W/SAFE and the airframe is pretty broken and damaged, but however still very repairable. But since I've been wanting to build my own plane for a while now, I was thinking about using the parts in the Cub and using them in my new plane. I also lost my bind plug and would like to save money and by reusing the parts in the Super Cub I could do this (It also has SAFE Gyro's so I don't want to waste that). To me, this all sounds good in theory, I mean I'm saving money, and building a plane! (which I really want to do) BUT, would there be any issues with this? I.e, The Cub is a big plane and has a big prop. I would like to use the same prop to save a bit more cash but I dont want my new plane to be as big as the Super Cub, maybe about half the size. Will the big or now oversized prop make my 'new plane' torque roll all over the place? If so, are there any smaller props I can use that fit the mount? Also, I believe the Hobby Zone Super Cub uses brushed motors (brushless = less torque right?).

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I lost my manual :(

Last edited:

Liam B

I did the same thing with my Super Cub LP. Sadly, it ended badly, and the plane didn't survive. It's definitely doable to make a plane with its electronics, BUT, you need to take in to account how to mount the firewall of the motor properly. That was my problem with it. As for torquing and the brushed motor, I think you'll be ok if you have a lighter plane. At least I had no problems, until the firewall came off:)

oh haha :p, sorry to hear. did you mount your firewall straight to the plane? (I assume it was foam). I was planning to get some plywood and mount it to that, then use copious amounts of glue to stick it to the airframe :p will that work?

Last edited:
I did the same thing with my Super Cub LP. Sadly, it ended badly, and the plane didn't survive. It's definitely doable to make a plane with its electronics, BUT, you need to take in to account how to mount the firewall of the motor properly. That was my problem with it. As for torquing and the brushed motor, I think you'll be ok if you have a lighter plane. At least I had no problems, until the firewall came off:)

did you add any more servos?

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I'm thinking torque roll could very well be an issue to consider. The whole action reaction law of physics comes to mind. The closer the surface area and mass of the prop comes to the surface area and mass of the fuselage the more torque roll you are likely to see, especially at take-off when your airspeed is low.

Liam B

I'm thinking torque roll could very well be an issue to consider. The whole action reaction law of physics comes to mind. The closer the surface area and mass of the prop comes to the surface area and mass of the fuselage the more torque roll you are likely to see, especially at take-off when your airspeed is low.

Good point! I didn't think of that. It will be especially sensitive with the weird gear box.