Solved Packing tape instead of paint?

hoshanaeckhart

Hi, i want to use shipping tape instead of using paint but any certain tape that works better?
I have an internal protein skimmer that isn't working properly because water is leaking out the seams. I'm thinking of using packing tape to hold it together, but the tape would be underwater. Is there any reason to think that packing tape would leach any sort of toxic chemicals? I've seen a few threads that have mentioned various uses for packing tape, so I'm hoping it's okay.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... Is there any reason to think that packing tape would leach any sort of toxic chemicals?...
I have no idea if there are any toxic chemicals in packing tape that would leach out while under water.

In my experience packing tape is water resistant, NOT water proof. In other words, it's works for temporary water exposure (a few hours) but not long term water exposure (days or weeks).

The tape may stop your plumbing from leaking for a while. But it will eventually give way & you will need more a permanent solution

Shurik-1960

I haven't used seaplane packing tape for a long time. I just add a black (blue) dye to the acrylic varnish for saunas and apply 2 layers after drying. I painted this boat 2 years ago and it still floats.