Phoenix Mk II Decathlon

Believe it or not, I got this plane for Christmas 2016. I vascillated for quite some time about the power system. I finally decided to power it with a Magnum .61 four stroke glow engine I have. Overall, pretty good quality. Besides some odds and ends, it’s entirely assembled with pieces I had on hand. No maiden yet, but it’s 100% ready to go; just waiting for a weather window.

Decals and stripe on the fuselage. Don’t worry, the workbench isn’t as bad as it looks, it’s actually much worse ;)
25895047-6893-4C3C-974E-E0A4FE1BD026.jpeg

This shot is pre decals and striping. I also hadn’t officially located the battery or receiver at this point.
72BC85A1-DC59-4ECD-8C65-5B3720DE3875.jpeg

Lemon rx six channel with satellite and voltage meter to keep tabs on the NimH battery. The servos are all coreless motor Futaba 9003’s.
DA8C4536-9A4D-49AE-A015-963BDEC556F0.jpeg

She’s just a hair over 7 lbs dry. So right in the specified weight range for the plane. The .61 should haul it around fairly well.

I finally flew this plane.... sort of. I was on the third flight. It’s a handful to get off the ground without ground looping, and on the third take-off, I ground looped it and cartwheeled. It’s a tough plane!! I broke the prop, crunched one wing tip a little, and cracked the upper longerons behind the cockpit. I also cracked the windscreen. It’s all very repairable, but it was an embarrassing wreck. I haven’t ground looped a plane in a long time.