PID Tuning D value

Gatormurica

I have a DIY quad. I have been tuning my PID's. I have had to drop my d value to 2 for pitch and role so my motors dont get hot. However, 2 of my motors get nice and warm. I have vibrations comeing from 2 motors. These motors are cheap and have been beat up. I am also new to tuneing and eventho I have watched totoreals I still am uncertain about it. Should I get some better motors?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would take a look at the motors themselves. Turn yoiur quad sideways and look at the bottom flat part of the bell. If your motors have a bottom plate watch the gap between the bell and the plate as you spin the motor by hand. if the shaft is bent you will see that gap open and close. If your motors do not have a bottom plate it is tricky but you can use any straight edge to compare to in order to see that movement.

If that gap is changing then you should probably replace the motor as it has a bent shaft. My recommendation when having to do a "Major" change like a motor, esc, or FC is to always upgrade from the original parts as it can only help in the long run. That way you are not dumping a ton of money all at once yet still get to fly while making your gear better.

Gatormurica

Yeah, I agree. These motors are definitely bent. I see what you are talking about. I would like to find a low kV motor that doesn't vibrate and is efficient on amperage. I would like to get some nice flight time but still be able to lift some weight. Are thee any motors that you recomend?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I like the Emax line of motors as well as Lumenier motors. They are both very durable as well as well designed and constructed motors. they are not super pricey so for mid range bang for the buck I like them. It took me over a year and a half of flying nearly every day to wear out the bearings in my original Stock KISS Alien build using the 2350 kv motors.

If you are asking about a specific motor recommendation then we would need more info about the build you are doing. Frame, FC, ESC, targeted all up weight, purpose, payload weight, prop size range, battery limitations.

Bottom line is there are so many motor manufacturers out there the only way to know what their quality is like is to weed out the "I use these because of cost" reviews and look at real reviews about longevity and things like issues out of the box. That whole mentality of I buy twenty motors at three dollars each from banggood to get four that actually work thing just amazes me when they could have got four decent mid range motors sooner and been flying for months on them instead of fighting issues for less total cost.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am not familiar with Suppo motors and was not able to find anything that sticks out as a no way Id buy these. I am sure others here do use them and may pop in here for advise. I did come across this thread that lists who makes what motors. There are a lot of brands that are built in the same factory with the same spec's but get a different label and price even though they can be the exact same motor.

This might help or might confuse you.. read with caution as its an older thread but very informative. Seems like some of the turnigy branded motors have come from the same factory that makes Suppo motors.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/11426913-chinese-factories-make-various-brushless-motor-brands.html

Gatormurica

This is what I found.

"Suppo Model: ( -Also sold as: Turnigy "H" motors, Mystery, HiModel, Giant Cod / Giant Shark "SP", Giant Shark "Strong Power" motors, Grayson, BP Hobbies, Helimate, Dynamo, B********* -and many other brand names ... ): http://www.suppomodel.com/ Sold as "Suppo" motors (i.e. original brand name)by Altitude Hobbies in USA, and some other retailers (i.e. BPHobbies)."
-Dr Motor. “Which Chinese Factories Make Various Brushless Motor Brands?” RC Forums, RC Universe, 2 Feb. 13AD, www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-br...ries-make-various-brushless-motor-brands.html.

I noticed some of the motor specs were exactly the same. It was suspicious. That confused me but now I know.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Use that list to find name brand motors that may be a tad pricey. Then look for off brands that are not but still made in the same factory. I am old school I just stick to what I know works reliably. I was never one to worry over prices of things if I needed or wanted them specially after building a few race motors and restoring a car or three in my years. After putting $6000 to $19,000 into just a motor back in the day it seems kind of piddly to me to worry over a two or three dollar price difference between brands.

Gatormurica

Yeah, I'm not worried about a few bucks. I have thrown a few trucks together and it comes whit a big price tag. That's why I am getting into building drones because it is cheaper and very rewarding.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Gotta be careful there mate. Nearly EVERYTHING on Stu's channel is the best thing since sliced bread. Find motors you are interested in. Do a you tube search for the review of that gear and then read the comments section skipping all the banggooders and fan boi posts and look for how may bad comments are there. THAT will be the reality of things and usually a fairly reliable method to know what works.

Gatormurica

I could not decide but I knew I had a lot of old props and I wanted to match the motor with them. I went with the Emax 1200 kV 2822. There otw and I can't wait. I went to a wedding in the mountains and got some cool footage but flew too far out and hit some wind gust and now My old motors are definitely shot.