Post your Crash & Rebuild/Fix!

patkoz

Hey,

I've been lurkering on the site for a few months now and I wanted to post the Crash & Rebuild I had on my Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver.

Had a good flight, lost power on my remote, and lost the plane into some nasty wind. The video I have doens't show the crash and the plane went down on a hill and I lost the view.

The worst part was the firewall being ripped apart. I had my neighbour remake me new ones from really light and strong plastic. If anyone has a Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver with a broken firewall I'm more then happy to send you a new one. I have 4-5 extra ones.

The SUV picture has all the parts from the plane when I picked it up. The Fuselage was ripped a part.

Just used some glue and tooth picks to rebuild. Pretty happy on the cost of the rebuild. New Prop and Glue was all I spent. Saved me 90 bucks getting a new fuselage.

20150731_210737 Small.jpg
20150731_210722 Small.jpg
20150731_203144 Small.jpg
20150731_212154 Small.jpg
20150804_223748 Small.jpg

Last edited:

JohnC

Learning to Restore

What sort of glue did you use?

I just crashed my Radian Pro on it's third flight day. I was on a Slope and it went over the top just before a landing attempt and dropped into the reverse slope (which was a bowl with lower hill behind). I tried to recover with throttle up, killed the crow, and got confused and looped twice before it disappeared for the third and final time.

I'm writing a blog called 'Learning to Fly'. But I'll have to devote a few posts to 'Learning to do an excellent rebuild'.

Where is the nose.JPG

The Radian is a beautiful plane (out of the box) and I've recently had some experience with Scotch 77 spray adhesive as I built a Zagi HP. So I'm going to try to do a restoration, and get the Radian Pro back to as close as I can to brand new.

See below for my blog (it's on the Flite Test website).

Last edited:

patkoz

Hey,

I used the gorilla glue (for wood). It expands when dry's so it helps hold everything in place. I also started using toothpicks to help hold things tight and straight if I cant clamp it with my small plastic clamps. I had a little of chunks break off that I just glued and toothpick together.

The plan looks great and you cant tell it was broken unless you really look for it.

kacknor

Build another!
Well. There was this 'Lawn Dart' incident involving a failed HTX900 servo at about 175 feet...

20151115_164612.jpg
Just kidding. this F22 was DONE. :)

I did have this hard landing incident on a scratch build Mini-Sportster that I not only managed to repair, but improved the design enough that when it finally was retired, I had to work hard to get the gear back. Really. I could grab the gear and re-position it without regard to foam damage.

This is how it looked on the bench after the landing...
20151211_083156.jpg

The results were published here: http://flitetest.com/articles/mini-sportster-landing-gear-repair-and-mod

JD

Admitting to the blatant plug opportunity advantage taking...

HilldaFlyer

Well. There was this 'Lawn Dart' incident involving a failed HTX900 servo at about 175 feet...

View attachment 61543
Just kidding. this F22 was DONE. :)

I respectfully disagree with your assessment.
LE9kLCNFCo3M7eKsZCp4YOgHqooUzJ-L5liAiYDkz7QwMgykjmwH_L2_5-h8WaFulnHQrsEQKIg7L7jwbccFTxdlhMXldFqAMpOJYDWtfGaQ6bdXyTbqFI8u8l5OvMUP0c9fDLTf

These remains were joined with not just 1, but 3 new fuselage sections. That's before I wised up and moved the battery back to right behind the cockpit. Then it started flying right!
Cheers! David

kacknor

Build another!
I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

These remains were joined with not just 1, but 3 new fuselage sections. That's before I wised up and moved the battery back to right behind the cockpit. Then it started flying right!
Cheers! David

You are correct. I really didn't like the way it flew, and didn't manage to get the balance right before the right elevon locked up and it corkscrewed. I admit I wanted the electronics for other stuff and just used the damage as an excuse! I regret a bit, but not enough to build another and make it fly right.

Yet

JD

HilldaFlyer

You are correct. I really didn't like the way it flew, and didn't manage to get the balance right before the right elevon locked up and it corkscrewed. I admit I wanted the electronics for other stuff and just used the damage as an excuse! I regret a bit, but not enough to build another and make it fly right.

Yet

JD

Get the CG right and it flies like a dream!

I haven't put a 2200 kv motor on the FT-22, but I have for the FT-18. When balanced and full of power... these are really a lot of fun to fly. In a bit I'll post photos of the second FT-22 resurrections - yes, plural. It died several times.... and like Timex. takes a liking and keeps on ticking.

kacknor

Build another!
Get the CG right and it flies like a dream!

I haven't put a 2200 kv motor on the FT-22, but I have for the FT-18. When balanced and full of power... these are really a lot of fun to fly. In a bit I'll post photos of the second FT-22 resurrections - yes, plural. It died several times.... and like Timex. takes a liking and keeps on ticking.

I don't remember exactly what motor I had on it. Some 22xx gold thing from someplace, likely HobbyKing or a sale thing form Ready Made RC, 1100 KV. I still have it in the spares box. It flew OK, could have used 1400 KV. It was real twitchy as out of balance planes are. I figured I could fix that, but it also rocked side to side as air spilled over the edges of the wing. Maybe it was warped or had a twist. I built it pretty fast in a manic moment. I've been known to do that. ;)

JD

ViperTech

I have one, this is my one sheet foam board plane. I call it the 1SBB (1 sheeter Bush Beater). First flight of 2015 and all was well.
View attachment 61585

I was coming in to land but was too high so I went around 1 more time and HELLO LIGHT POLE!
View attachment 61586

Man that was a hard hit!
View attachment 61587

2 hours on the bench and all is well......
View attachment 61588

Here is the edited flight including the crash with a little slow motion of the impact. Maybe not the best video but still fun to see the crash! Have a laugh at my expense;)