Powering on fpv goggles without antenna on?

Hi, I was getting ready to fly fpv and was checking the channels on the goggles to make sure there was no one else, when I remembered that I forgot to screw in the antenna! I immediately powered them down, and put on the antenna and everything seemed to be working fine. I had usual range and the image was clear just like before, but am wondering if I damaged the receiver in the goggles?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Reciever? no. Transmitter . . . well that would have been bad.

The damage to a video transmitter comes from trying to dump hundreds of mW of power into the air and having nowhere for it to go (no antenna to efficiently dump it into the air).

Since the receiver is simply listening, putting "earplugs" on it by leaving the antenna off, it just can't hear very well.

In this case no harm done :)

Ok, thank you so much! your a real life saver. I was worried all night that I had wrecked my new goggles. But that does make sence. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I have an inductor on a 250mw Fatshark video transmitter that gets unusually hot for some odd reason. I've been over at the Fatshark forums and the "rep" there had no explanation other than a faulty unit. I suspect they blew me off thinking I had not attached the antenna.

When I say 'hot', I mean the shrink melted away in about 3 seconds of turning it on the first time with the antenna attached. I didn't want to go thru the rigmarole with shipping it back to China, so I tried a heat sink and it worked. I cut and shaped a fin from a large heat sink and wrapped it around with thermal paste and JB Welded it on.

It has been working for over a year now. If I have it transmitting on the bench with no air flow, it takes about 5 minutes for the aluminum heat-sink to get very warm/hot. Outside and flying with lots of air moving it says cool enough to not be a concern.