Prop Jet Glider ( floats power off ) ... Share Your Ideas With Pictures

ProfessorFate

I am doing a Stryker like re-design comes a little close but misses that fun of the long body pitching effects and appearance and does not float with a 2.6 ah lipo, controller and motor.

We have flat land here, not using high starts anymore, so you have to have a motor to get up.

I want to start this thread asking if you have any ideas you like that might give prop jet sleek penetration and it would float.

Here's the Shinden J7W the Germans gave to the Japanese in WW2, where I've eliminated extraneous features, in the black background.

The Shinden looks very close to the ideas I am asking you to post about.

Pusher, Canard, Wing could produce Lift (probably not delta) ... What do YOU like?

Attachments

• Kyushu J7W1 Shinden  1.jpg
    Kyushu J7W1 Shinden 1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Shinden     kawanishi_j7w_3v.jpg
    Shinden kawanishi_j7w_3v.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 0
  • Shinden i  J7W Japanese by Zero canard  mine black background display 1.jpg
    Shinden i J7W Japanese by Zero canard mine black background display 1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 0
  • j7w_shinden_i_by_zero_cannard-d4g84sl.jpg
    j7w_shinden_i_by_zero_cannard-d4g84sl.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ProfessorFate

Engineered Flying Wing by Samm Sheperd. This may glide good, the 40" WS version uses a very small power system. Flights 20 minutes and he put wing fins stabilizers seen in pre-flight pic. I'm thinking a 60" WS might support the weight of my power systems and could easily be made from 2 sheets of foam board, and easier to see.

Attachments

• Best Flying Wing  Engineered Mini Flying Wing  Samm Sheperd  Zagi  cap 3.jpg
    Best Flying Wing Engineered Mini Flying Wing Samm Sheperd Zagi cap 3.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Samm Best Flying Wing  60 inch WS  3.jpg
    Samm Best Flying Wing 60 inch WS 3.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 0
  • MH 60 tip airfoil.jpg
    MH 60 tip airfoil.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 0
  • HS 522.jpg
    HS 522.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Best Flying Wing  Engineered Mini Flying Wing  Samm Sheperd  Zagi  cap 2.jpg
    Best Flying Wing Engineered Mini Flying Wing Samm Sheperd Zagi cap 2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Best Flying Wing  Engineered Mini Flying Wing  Samm Sheperd  Zagi  cap 1.jpg
    Best Flying Wing Engineered Mini Flying Wing Samm Sheperd Zagi cap 1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 0
  • Best Flying Wing  Engineered Mini Flying Wing  Samm Sheperd  Zagi.jpg
    Best Flying Wing Engineered Mini Flying Wing Samm Sheperd Zagi.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 0

ProfessorFate

Strykers and FT Spears both have 40 degree Leading Edge Sweeps

Attachments

• Stryker WS 48 LE 130 or 40 deg TE -- deg LINES Straight compare 37.5 to 48ws copy.jpg
    988.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spear   40 deg sweep.jpg
    FT Spear 40 deg sweep.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Stryker F27 Q  3view top view  BEST  PKZ5680_a3-1 BIG 1400 pix. UP Straight      copy.jpg
    Stryker F27 Q 3view top view BEST PKZ5680_a3-1 BIG 1400 pix. UP Straight copy.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 0

ProfessorFate

I cleaned up the ragged edges of the Shinden I might build, it's 1680 x 1050 perfect for a desktop.
After looking at some of Josh's canard EZ videos, comments; I really feel like doing this one belly lander light, no gear, larger stabs on top.

What do YOU think about this as a prop jet with for-wing, as Josh calls it?

Attachments

• Shinden i  J7W Japanese by Zero canard  mine black background display 2.jpg
    Shinden i J7W Japanese by Zero canard mine black background display 2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 0

L Edge

Master member
I would suggest you add a rudder control (yaw) if you do. Especially if you try to fly it any wind at all.

ProfessorFate

Hello L Edge, I'm glad you posted something, hoping for ideas different from the ones I already have but you are right, rudders would be great, and I'll probably put them.

I have always liked the Shinden and took a picture and modified it to be just about the way I'd like to fly it.

If you think of something, post it here, some interesting kind of gliding prop jet, good flying gliding craft.

Here are some other Bleriot pusher craft besides the 1911 tracktor type that crossed the English channel.

And a monoplane version of an FE8 or DH2

Attachments

• Bleriot 13  gfhdrt.jpg
    Bleriot 13 gfhdrt.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Bleriot 13  r5te56yt.jpg
    Bleriot 13 r5te56yt.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Bleriot 13 crop  345r3we5r.jpg
    Bleriot 13 crop 345r3we5r.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Bleriot  XIII or 13 monoplane circa 1911 front side view.jpg
    Bleriot XIII or 13 monoplane circa 1911 front side view.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Bleriot 29 - special 1913 military pusher  34532w42.jpg
    Bleriot 29 - special 1913 military pusher 34532w42.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Bleriot XXV aero Oct 1911 -- 1.jpg
    Bleriot XXV aero Oct 1911 -- 1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Bleriot Limousine ill_099b.jpg
    Bleriot Limousine ill_099b.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Bleriot xxv 031alltogether.jpg
    Bleriot xxv 031alltogether.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Bleriot xxv 033kontronik.jpg
    Bleriot xxv 033kontronik.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Bleriot xxv 034beforemaiden.jpg
    Bleriot xxv 034beforemaiden.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 0
  • FE8 -- WS 54 inch 9.25 inch chord -- 20 inch Fuse --  big tail 1 disp 6.jpg
    FE8 -- WS 54 inch 9.25 inch chord -- 20 inch Fuse -- big tail 1 disp 6.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
  • FE8 is WS 54inch pod 2 for 9.25inch chord stretched 20 inch fuse 4 build est numbers.jpg
    FE8 is WS 54inch pod 2 for 9.25inch chord stretched 20 inch fuse 4 build est numbers.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

cyclone3350

Master member
I bought one of these from Meijer's 2 years ago. I was planning on putting a 64mm power pod on top but never got around to it.

Attachments

• IMG_4558.JPG
    IMG_4558.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0

quorneng

Master member
If you design your own airframe you can make a jet that uses a prop but its inside the fuselage.
This 36" (910mm) Depron Skyray was remarkably successful.
Painted.JPG

Oversize inlets and exhaust are required for the 4.75x4.5 prop (a cut down 5"). The electronics are very simple with only 2 micro elevon servos. No rudder.
All 3mm Depron construction except for small balsa 'flanges' top and bottom on two spars with Depron shear webs.
Balsaflange.JPG

It used a 1500mAh 3s and weighed 18oz (510g).
With plenty of wing area and light weight it was an easy hand launch with a super slow glide belly land.
As this video shows its aerodynamics were still just good enough to perform a 'glide' loop.

cyclone3350

Master member
If you design your own airframe you can make a jet that uses a prop but its inside the fuselage.
This 36" (910mm) Depron Skyray was remarkably successful.
View attachment 239014
Oversize inlets and exhaust are required for the 4.75x4.5 prop (a cut down 5"). The electronics are very simple with only 2 micro elevon servos. No rudder.
All 3mm Depron construction except for small balsa 'flanges' top and bottom on two spars with Depron shear webs.
View attachment 239015
It used a 1500mAh 3s and weighed 18oz (510g).
With plenty of wing area and light weight it was an easy hand launch with a super slow glide belly land.
As this video shows its aerodynamics were still just good enough to perform a 'glide' loop.
Too Cool. Was wondering how I missed that build. I found it & see that was before I became active on this forum.

ProfessorFate

Hi cyclone3350 and quorneng

Thank you, I really like to see what you post, both of those airplanes look great. I think I bought something from Hobby Lobby or Walmart like that 48 inch glider but it was smaller... maybe you just put a motor anywhere works good like on the nose and balance it. Might still revisit one of these stores n see what they have now.

I need to learn how to build much lighter, that 40 inch Stryker starts off body weight of 20 oz, kind of heavy. Maybe start over making light the priority. Beautiful Skyray.

ProfessorFate

Hey cyclone3350, a mount could be as easy as this, there's a box beginning a center pod made of 2.7mm underlayment from home depot and the heavy hardwood for firewalls is the stuff the motor is mounted to. This is a power pod center for a monoplane FE8--DH2... I know, these are not monoplanes. I used Bob Smith Industry BSI 30 min epoxy with fiberglass, much stronger. These light foamy airplanes could use a suppo 2217 -- 1250kv with apc 12x8 prop 3s lipo and mount could be much lighter.

Attachments

• 444218_40114f290b779bcca4649afcaf96beda.jpg
    444218_40114f290b779bcca4649afcaf96beda.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
A slightly later plane and a true EDF but its configuration, it is true scale, allowed a super light construction using just thin 3mm foam sheet. Its more about the aerodynamics than just using a prop.
It took a couple of goes to get right but it can indeed glide into a 'spot' landing.

ProfessorFate

Hey quorneng ... I like the way you let us hear it running and glide it in. Great Soft landing. Thank You for posting again. I always like to see what people are doing. I could use inspiration, this Stryker flying wing is coming out too heavy, but I'll finish and see, am hoping the better smoother shape and airfoil help it's ability to fly and float.

Remember the FT post on the difference between analog and digital servos with the long extension hands. It shows a lot of difference in accuracy of position. Some of the analog servo slop can be overcome by putting the clevis on the half inch outer hole and on the control horn going to the last hole. This also helps with cable slop because movements are much greater than cable flex effects. That 2nd to last hole gives 50 inch oz if the ctrl horn is on same hole and better if it's further out. I think with the clevis on last hole it's easier on the control surface hinge.

Attachments

• Servos FT Flite Test 9 gram and Hi Tec Mighty Mini Specs 2.jpg
    Servos FT Flite Test 9 gram and Hi Tec Mighty Mini Specs 2.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 0

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well.... Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but saw a 7 time national champ flying this jet glider at the Columbus Big Birds field

ProfessorFate

Hi LitterBug, thank you. I thought at first this was going to be one of those expensive contest gliders where you have to remove the radio from its case to fit etc but no, a jet looking glider.

I hope to see more from yall don't be concerned if it doesn't fit or whatever

Your vid reminded me of sharing xjet, he has another channel too... very interesting stuff

Then after that vid played this popped up because I had him on my list, a most beautiful piano performance of the theme to Oh God played with such human singing melodic style... cantabile.

Seeing Oh God again, I know Burns portrays Him funny and fallible but still, makes one want to seek and approach God.
If He sees a sparrow fall from the tree and that touches His heart, how much more does He care for you and me?

This piano playing was what I found first and two others for those who like Ennio Morricone and Beatles played on the theremin... Katica Illenyi is a dream, her theremin sounds much like the soprano's voice in the original song Once Upon A Time In The West aka Deborah's Theme.
Once Upon A Time
Beatles

... couldn't leave out Glen Campbell playing Mason Williams' greatest hit, Classical Gas

Has anyone ever heard Elvis at the piano singing -- You'll Never Walk Alone -- maybe playing piano softly or just singing a cappella, just his voice alone? I have heard this years ago and cannot find it. Want to post it here? Not the one with the group on stage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-09-01 BEATLES Theremin(2).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-09-01 BEATLES Theremin(2).jpg
    166 KB · Views: 0
  • Katica Illenyi Once Upon a Time in the West theremin.jpg
    Katica Illenyi Once Upon a Time in the West theremin.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Theme from Oh, God! (Piano Cover (Improvised Version) comp. by Jack Elliott).jpg
    Theme from Oh, God! (Piano Cover (Improvised Version) comp. by Jack Elliott).jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0
  • Glen Campbell - Classical Gas best version performance!!!.jpg
    Glen Campbell - Classical Gas best version performance!!!.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Here are some interesting ideas:

The Henschel HS P.87 was a proposed bomber design that never made it into reality. But I reallylike the look, its a sleek pusher and the high aspect ratio wings should give it good floating performance. I have build it at a very small scale, and it was pretty good.

P.87 00.jpg

17ea242a09cc7710bbb9a5d428f64686.jpg

Also the Spectre, a 3D printed wing that I designed, would fit your requirements. I originally designed it as a slope soarer, so the gliding performance is really good. You could easily make a foamboard version. The forward swept wings give it very good turning characteristics.

Sidewinder_FPV_Edition_2023-Apr-25_09-29-20PM-000_CustomizedView33647627407.png

Sidewinder_FPV_Edition_2023-Apr-25_09-34-51PM-000_CustomizedView50472414240.png