Psyborgs Attempt at Planks 2.. The FT3d

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Finally got around to finishing up the FT3d that has been sitting around since FFE17. I noticed it looked like the foam was starting to warp from sitting even though it was flat on the floor and still in the shrinkwrap. I will assume it had held some moisture from Swamp Fest and was finally dried out. Anyway Built it in a night, got into winter depression and left some projects literally laying around for a month or two. I finally seem to be getting more into doing things again as in the last week or so I have made a few videos, totally rebuilt my Alien, and now finished this up.

I have a slight problem though as I am am lacking a flight controller to put in it that works with my Taranis. I have the D4rII in the SE5 that still needs a maiden but keeps eating servos... So I am slow to think about using that one. I do have two Devo 7 receievers and a devo 7 tx sitting around but not sure I want to revert back to stone age gear. The dilema is today is gonna hit 50 degrees and low winds. I am gonig to fly SOMETHING today. Currently charging batteries for the Alien and the Gremlin so they will be in the air today for sure.

Anwya in case I do try n maiden the FT3d I figured I would get the pretty pics documented and saved before its demise. So here they are pre crashing. If anyone wishes to say last rights or something please feel free to do so.

FT3d 1.jpg

FT3d 2.jpg

FT3d 3.jpg

FT3d 4.jpg

FT3d 5.jpg

FT3d 6.jpg

FT3d 7.jpg

FT3d 8.jpg

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Looks great Psyborg! Not a lot of people flying the FT3D these days so it will be nice to see some video of you flying it. I have an FT3D that has been sitting in my basement for 3 or so years now. Built it when I first started the hobby after successfully flying the versa wing. I got two or three sessions flying it then I got sucked up in the quad vortex. I've been wanting to get back into planes, but the thing has so much hanger rash now it is probably worth making a new one.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Great looking build mate! :applause:

I'd say go backwards, put the Devo equipment in it, and go enjoy some sunshine!

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
I think that looks fantastic Psy!! LOVE it brosef! ;) hows she fly is the question!? can't wait to see this bird in the air my friend !

Blessings,
Stefan

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks for the compliments gents. Makes me want to do more if and when I actually learn how to get em and keep em in the air hehe.

I was tempted to put it up today... Forgot I had the D8r reciever here for the video system in Rockboys monster FW 42 I could borrow for a bit. I managed to get it all set up and hopefully set to neutral while I was charging batteries for the quads. Checked for max deflections to see if there was any rubbing. Set up triple rates at 48%, 72% and 100% all with 30% expo to maybe give me an actual shot at flight this time.

I went out to the local park to maiden the Alien rebuild and Bills Law struck big time... That story is for my Bills Law thread though, and now its too chilly to try and do a maiden as the winds are picking up a bit here.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Looks good Bill. Fixed wing! Yeah! Now how about that big yellow beast of a bipe you got hidden away?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
thank you sir. Seems I can build.. just not so good on the flying yet. I got this to actually build AT FFE17 but was way too busy with all the volunteering to have that happen. My thoughts were 1. it was 4 channel so my issues with bank and yank turning no matter how hard I whipped the rudder stick around it wouldn't turn like the 3 channels ones. 2. It is more acrobatic and made for super slow flying at the same time so I would not have to focus on speed so much in the early stages like other planes. 3. I always could fly the 3d planes better in sims lie the Katana's in the reflex XTR sim I have used on and off for years n years. (probably building really bad habits each time too)

Still saving that Dynam Pitts for when I can actually fly a few packs in a row with no crashing. Seems that has been discontinued and parts are no longer available. You should have taken that home with you when I offered it hehe at least it would have some flights on it before obsolescence hit. Besides that will require a new motor and speed controller as that power plant currently resides in Rockyboys Caudron I sent home with him.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
While it very much looked like a spiffy gift to take home, taking it had some problems...

1) That thing is huge and my little car could only hold so much.
2) I don't have as much time for the hobby as either of us would like to think. I have your heli gift and it hasn't flown yet either. I have bought some parts for it though if that counts for anything.
3) Storing it here. Yes I could have found space but I'm already looking to downsize. I need to simplify my situation, especially if the move is ever going to happen.
4) I was blessed to have you ride along. I wasn't expecting anything in return. I accepted the heli which already seemed to much. Taking the Pitts would have felt way overboard selfish.

Oh and hey what's with the sir thing? You do know I work for living don't you?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sorry shipmate, its not a military thing. Its a stepfather thing. If I did not address people as Sir or Mr there were penalties. Its a habit that sticks with you after a while. In any case you are worthy of the respect it is meant to convey and no insults are intended.

As for the FT3D... actual flight is still eluding me. Did some taxi tests on fresh pavement it was all over the place. Actually wore the skid down far enough the rudder started rubbing the ground so I made a quick tail wheel for it. It rolled better and at least controllable enough to try the maiden. Took it out back and did a CG check, checked my crap several times (not the crap in the field) restarted the video for the maiden and was ready to do it.

Side note:
Let me see if I get this right.. squirrely on the ground is a sign of tail heavy and the landing gear may be too far forward correct? It would take for ever to turn (with the skid) then whip around sharply once it decided to respond. When I did not try and taxi for long distance and started lifting the weight off the tail it tracked much more true.

Anyway went out back and when I throttled up it pitched forward a fair amount in my hand. Enough to make me rethink the elevator and all that. So I looked it all over.. everything "looks" Square and straight. I tested the throttling again holding it in a slightly different spot thinking maybe that was it. Still wanted to pull the nose down. (Here is where I REALLY need to start listening when Bills Law steps in..)

I though Ok maybe it is not as straight as I think it is so I trimmed the elevator up a tad. I retested the run up and it "felt" less pulling was happening. I gave it just a touch more up trim and ran it up again more and it didn't seem to be pulling much at all. At this point it had a noticeable change from neutral when looking at it from the side. I could see the stabilizer above the front part of the elevator.

I figured with the up trim it would at least give me time to get my hand on the radio to keep it going up wards so I could trim it out. No dice it nosed over in a slow arc and rolled slightly right when I grabbed the radio (my fault) and cartwheeled. Took both blades off the prop and separated some paper on both sides of the fuse at the leading edge of the wing.

Needless to say I came back in set it down and was done for the day. I am beginning to think I will not get a plank in the air with out another experienced person with me to see exactly where I am going wrong. So I decided to take the Gremlin out for its first track runs of the year. They went much better and settled my mood a bit.

I am currently not feeling well as the neighbors are all sick and it seems I have caught what they have. I will edit a video of the taxi tests and maidens stuff when I can stay awake for more then half an hour or so from the cold meds and get that up in the next few days for input.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I know the field's not ideal for this, but I think some glide testing is what you need my friend. With the battery installed, but don't bother plugging it in, give it a decent shoulder height straight and level toss over something soft-ish like tall grass. If you check out J-MaxRC's video on the Borokov D he has a segment where he shows multiple runs of glide testing

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...rov-D-designed-by-J-MaxRC&p=380968#post380968

You can see in the multiple glide tests he does how at first it dives sort of short, and then off camera he adjusts the weight back a little, and then the next glide goes further. If it pitches up and then dives on a straight level toss you're too tail heavy and need to move some weight forward a little.

But let all that wait for after you don't need the cold medicine - get some rest and feel better soon!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I was just giving you crap about the sir thing. I actually say it all the time too, even to kids. To me respect is something you do with humans because of our inherent value and I want to be an example of what I'd like to see. Good on you sir.

As for your plane... Squirrelly on taxi sounds like maybe too sensitive tailwheel steering, loose linkage, or weak mechanical advantage for the servo to the wheel.

How's your throwing arm? Mine isn't what it used to be which was never all that good but I still have enough with this aging body and aching joints to toss planes that aren't too heavy. I ask because I am wondering what kind of glide slope you get without power. If your cg is good it should have good pitch whenever thrown. I do these tests over fields with long grass to cushion impact.

Assuming that test checks good then my next advice would be to seek airspeed more than altitude. A tendency with newer fixed-wing pilots is to try to get as much space between the aircraft and the earth as soon as possible. Your power set-up, aircraft weight, and lift will affect how aggressive a pitch you can take. Some power set-ups are strong enough to provide lift with a vertical take-off. Others not so much and need to generate forward thrust so that the wings will generate lift.

I know your background and this all probably sounds basic but even us guys with knowledge forget the basics which then bites us in the end.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
That narrow wheel base that you have is not conducive to good ground handling. Also, SOP for a tail-dragger is to hold full up elevator to peg the tail for taxiing. Finally, you probably need a quick surge of power to get it rolling, but after that you'll probably want the minimum power necessary to keep it rolling. The steerable tailwheel is the best thing to have for ground handling.

Last edited:

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
My FT 3D was always super squirrely on the ground. High center of gravity and narrow gear meant it was touching a wing tip while taxiing any time there was wind. On a windy day I would place it facing into the wind and take off in a couple of feet or hand launch gave it a bit of an underhand toss at full throttle. I wound up gluing Popsicle sticks to the wingtips as wing skids to keep from tearing the posterboard side force generators off when landing and taxiing. As for CG it'll be controllable even if very tailheavy, will just porpoise a lot, BTDT.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ty Ewok.
Sadly I tried to fly it the other day and cartwheeled it after dumb thumbing the aileron stick after I tossed it. Separated the spar in one of the wings so repairs are needed now.