Puerto Rico Has Been Mowed Flat

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
That's 3.5 million U.S. citizens that are in bad shape. We can help. The tactical supply line is practically non-existent in PR. I was thinking today that auto-pilot equipped, fixed wing "drones" could fly critical airdrop missions for meds and so forth. Nice sized high wing gassers could carry 1-2 kilo payloads. Thoughts?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Logistics would be tough for a "Civilian" operation. As PR is a state they have the same laws regarding what can be flown and how. Getting properly papered people organised as well as getting them TO PR is a huge issue with limited airports or docks to ship in to.

Then you get to where you can fly how do you learn who needs what? Then how do you coordinate with the people who need things how do you tell them when it is coming and where to retrieve it?

I am sure many of us can and would gladly help but the travel and logistics need to be worked out before hand. People cant just drop in outta no where and say we are here to help.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
It would not be easy to seamlessly integrate to the on site grid without practice.

However, if you have a pilot and plane, all you need are a mission, a safety corridor, and radio protocol.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
What about food, water, dry place to sleep, electricity to charge power packs and radio gear. A way to get within range of the mission. Security so someone does not raid you and take your food water electricity...

When I was in the Navy some of us took those tours to go to places you normally would not get to see if you stayed close to port. We made the mistake one day when it came time for lunch. They handed us standard issue box lunches.. Stale sandwich some chip, a piece of fruit and a juice box. Well being Americans we attracted a lot of kids asking for money and things. We were usually careful to make sure if we tried to help someone it was not near a group or out in the open. Well some of us did not want our lunches and there were a few kids around asking for hand outs so they were given what we would say was second class food.. As soon as them kids had them boxes in hand other kids came outta nowhere and threw a beat down on the ones with the boxes.

Situations where people are hungry and need a lot of things is not only sad but VERY dangerous if not dealt with smartly. This is why humanitarian aid takes so long to organised and get set up. Its not just distributing things people need. Security has to be established as well not only for the aid workers but for the people they are helping until the distribution of goods gets out far enough where people wont be willing to kill or hurt someone for something they need.

Flying a plane or copter over head and dropping medicine could help someone or easily become a death sentence to them from others in need or someone who would be willing to exploit the aid and sell stuff on black markets.

We can talk about doing things but I have been there live and seen some of the potentially bad things that come with helping others. I would still be willing to try and help if possible but only if things are structured well. Other wise it does no one any good.