Pushrod raw material?

Arcfyre

Elite member
For you scratch builders out there, does anyone have a good source of pushrod raw material? Ideally I'd like to find something that is cheap and easy to adapt to the purpose. My original thought was using a wire clothes hanger, but the metal seems to be a little too soft. Any suggestions?

On a similar note, what do you guys use to make your wire landing gear?

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
Wire wise, I'd try survey flag wire if you're not going to buy anything commercially. Landing gear is tougher because most available material is not spring tempered. I stick with 1/8" or 3/32" music wire depending on the weight of the plane. It harder to bend, but it keeps it's shape better.

Tench745

Master member
Music wire, also called piano wire, is the best metal for landing gear and pushrods. Coat hangar is too soft for either and too big for pushrods. Many people have said good things about survey flag wire (the little plastic flags they put down to mark underground pipes and cables). I haven't used them myself, so I can't say for sure if they're any good. You can buy a bundle of them at just about any home improvement store. If you have a torch, you might even be able to spring-temper them to get them like music wire.
I used to have a link on making springs, but can't find it now.

Arcfyre

Elite member
The survey wire is a great tip, thank you! I will try that out until I find a good source for music wire. Still need to think up a good idea for landing gear. You guys are absolutely correct- the spring temper is critical.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My source for pushrod material on small FB designs where the servo is close to the control horn is simply a straightened large paper clip, (get a large bag for a dollar or two).

For landing gear I use the spring wire from aftermarket hubcaps (lost from passing cars and normally littering the side of the roads almost everywhere). Some use rather soft wire whilst others use very heavy duty spring steel. I cut and straighten!!

Just what works for me!

jtrops

I bought a 68' coil of 1mm (.037") music wire for $6 awhile back, and I don't imagine I will run out any time soon even with everyone in the club using it.

I also figured out recently that bicycle spokes have the same threading as control rod clevises. So that's a good option as well. I like the idea of welding rod, and I would bet that if I could get something close to 2mm's I could run it through my spoke thread roller to put the necessary threads on.

Arcfyre

Elite member