Quadcopter Simulator (In Development)

daxian

Elite member
@blueteak...felt responsive in the air ,managed to fly the course after a fashion....dam those props break easy ...lol!!!
will need to test more ....

Blueteak

@Spastickitten
When I make changes to the simulator, I'll upload a new version. You will have to download that to see the changes.

@daxian
Glad if feels alright in the air, I'm still getting the break force correct I agree it feels a bit brittle atm, although watching videos of people flying bigger quads seem to give off the vibe that they break all the time, maybe it's just because they're being pretty brutal with them.

daxian

Elite member
after more play with this on the xbox controller ,in stability mode the controls are way too sensitive ,may need to do some tweaking with the set up of the quad see if i can get it more stable .....any luck with the eflite controller ???

Blueteak

after more play with this on the xbox controller ,in stability mode the controls are way too sensitive ,may need to do some tweaking with the set up of the quad see if i can get it more stable .....any luck with the eflite controller ???

Not yet, but I'm taking a look at a plugin that allows me to use Windows XInput and DirectInput. Does anyone know if controllers go through one of these services?

If not I will continue searching for a solution.

Blueteak

Still working on getting the controller accepted as a joystick (a bit hard because I'm building on a Mac, and Windows / OSX have different ways of handling usb inputs)

But I've also taken a bit of time to work on the main menu and the customization screens!

TcI86Bd.png

QA2VqTM.png

I'd love feedback on what type of customizations you would like to see for the quads. Things like Prop size, motors, and batterys will definitely be there, but I'm not sure if people use multiple types of control boards for stabilization etc, and receivers aren't really important in a simulator because I can't determine what type of transmitter you have plugged in.

Spastickitten

Maybe if you want to make multiple quad types. Miniquad, AP quad, *sigh phantoms, etc? I really need that USB controller thing down though...

Blueteak

Just ordered a trainer cord that will work with my E-flite controller and hopefully spectrum as well if I get one in the future.

I noticed that in my research that PicaSim allows you to directly use the audio input of your PC to connect your controller. Has anyone used this feature / is it common among other simulators?

wrobel221

Hi Jonathan,

I'm also a Unity developer, I was also going to work on same kind of game. Any way I can collaborate on this, I'll share back everything I get. I have Oculus Rift DK2 and XBox controller for Windows. Let me know if you can you share source. DM or wrobel221 at gmail.

Blueteak

So, I just got my trainer USB cord, and it worked great with my E-Flite transmitter, just had to set up the axes in the KeyBindings.
Can those of you having trouble with the real transmitters give me more information about what you are using? (ie Transmitter brand and number and trainer cord info).
You won't be able to plug a spectrum transmitter into the audio jack, as that requires a lot of code to turn the OSC signals into useful information in game.

Also, @wrobel221, I am happy to have some help with the project, but currently I'm just doing it as a hobby to get a useful training application for quadcopters. I don't have much experience with things like remote repositories to collaborate with others, but if this gets a bit more traction I'm sure I will be able to use the help.

wrobel221

Sure thing. So I can integrate Oculus in the current state of the project without collaboration. Let me know if you'll be able to share the project for the same purpose, personal training.

daxian

Elite member
hi again ...
my transmitter is a turnigy i6 (re-badged flysky fsi6) and the cable fits to the 4 pin trainer port ....

Blueteak

@Spastickitten
Picasim spent a lot of time working on that feature, it's quite impressive because it's using the waveform data from the transmitter and turning it into useful information in the simulator. But that's a feature that I would have to spend quite a long time developing. Maybe in the future.

@daxian
I am getting the Turnigy 9CH transmitter that was reviewed by FT a while ago, when I get it I will test it out with the sim.
Can you give me a bit more info on the cable you are using? My E-flite transmitter also uses the 4pin trainer port, so it's not the output from the transmitter. But the usb input into my computer has some circuitry that turns the input into "Joystick like" info so no drivers or anything are needed. Does your usb input do any work in terms of changing the transmitter signals into useful information for the computer?

Blueteak

@daxian

What you're describing seems almost identical to mine. Can you do a few things just to make sure we are on the same page (I may think the keybinding stuff is more intuitive than it really is)

When you open up the Simulator app, press launch, then press the escape key. A menu should come up with a number of options. Press the key bindings button at the top. Press the Calibrate button on the left and side and follow the instructions in the popup window.

On the right hand side, there is a list of functions (Toggle Quad Mode, Extra button 1, etc) Press the dark grey rounded rectangle that has a key selected (IE, for Toggle Quad Mode, it defaults to "C", you would press the "C") and the text should change to an ellipses(" . . . ")
Move one of the transmitter sticks and see if the ellipses changes to something like "Joystick 1+".

Let me know at what step in the instructions the application doesn't respond as it should.

daxian

Elite member
@blueteak....
no problem there, but i only get positive readings cant get the opposits to work ...
so i get forward as ,say joy 1+ ,but cant get joy 1 - same with them all, joy 2+, but no joy 2- ...
it just does not "see" them ...

daxian

Elite member
hi all...
tried picasim today ....nice sim !!!
set up in 10 mins to my transmitter...so i know its not my settings lol..

Blueteak

Great! Now I know it's not that the simulator can't see the joystick, but that the calibration is off!

I was trying to find another way to get the simulator to register that there was a device connected, when I should be trying to find a better way to bind the axes to the quadcopter and make sure that everything is calibrated correctly to get the correct axes when you move one.