Question About School FAA Registration

longshot

Ok this may have been covered but does anyone know the rules for a school owned drone? I assume you cannot just register a school as an individual but the only thing I found pertained to federal government. Anyone waded into this morass?

thanks
LS

DharanFlyer

You register as a pilot with the FAA not the machine. Their wording is just so bad and convoluted it is laughable. So everyone using the "drone" would have to be registered with the FAA. By extension that means each time someone switched out and flew it their registration number would have to be put on/in the "drone".

Just my interpretation. Maybe someone from Mesa RC could say what they do.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
I am reasonably sure I read that in the FAA FAQ that an RC aircraft (aka drone) can be flow with the permission of whoever it is registered with (ie. whoever the FAA number it has is registered to) so long as they are present or give a copy of their registration document to the RC pilot to have while they are flying.

It also said that liability laws vary by state but in most primarily rests with the actual pilot. With a minor, I suspect responsibility will be with the school, if it is a school sanctioned activity, or the child's parent/guardian.

So the teacher/coach should be registered with the FAA and should place their number on the aircraft and should have permission from the school to fly to ensure they are acting for the school and are covered by the school's liability insurance.

At least that I my interpretation.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/

This link says that any owner under the age of 13 must have someone older register so I'm not so sure how that works when you have someone else registered.

Anyone remember that FT podcast from not too long ago with David where they discussed that Barbie Quad? It was slightly over the 250g limit since it has a barbie attached to it or something. If you own this and you are unregistered you are now a criminal lol.

pressalltheknobs

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/

This link says that any owner under the age of 13 must have someone older register so I'm not so sure how that works when you have someone else registered.

It means, if you are under 14, a parent or guardian or other adult has to be the registered RC Aircraft operator and you are considered to be operating under their supervision.

What is unclear maybe is a 14 to 18 year old "supervising" under 14 year olds. I don't recall anything that said that was not allowed.

Last edited:

longshot

Well There will be no flying of the school owned quads without my direct supervision. So what I hear here is that since I am registered I just need to affix my reg number to the school owned craft and all is cool? That works for me.
thanks for the input folks, can't wait to maiden the electrohub spider quad.

thanks again
LS

pressalltheknobs

For the record, the FAA registration faq is here

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/

The two entries of note are...

Q8. Will an operator be required to have proof of registration while operating the UAS?

A. Yes. You will be required to have your FAA registration certificate in your possession when operating your unmanned aircraft.

Q28. Is there a minimum age requirement?

A. Yes. You must be 13 years of age or older before you are permitted to register an unmanned aircraft. If the owner is less than 13 years of age, then a person who is at least 13 years of age must register the unmanned aircraft.

Q43. If I let someone borrow my drone do I have to give them the Certificate of Registration?

A. Yes, anyone who operates your drone must have the Certificate of Aircraft Registration in their possession. You can give them a paper copy, email it to them, or they can show it electronically from the registration website.

Note that your usage must be recreational and not commercial. This might be a bit of a grey area for a school. If you fly as part of an after school club which is optional and fee less then clearly you can argue it's recreational but if its part of the school class and you fly outside, technically you may be flying RC Aircraft as part of a business which might be considered commercial use. Currently you are required to have a full scale pilots license to do that and register in a different way and there are lots of other hoops designed for full size aircraft you have to deal with. Clearly you don't want to have to to that.

I should say that I'm in no way an expert on this and you should make your own decision as to what it all means and possibly seek expert counsel. If you are a member of the AMA you might start there since at least they are on your side.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
If it will be used as part of a curriculum most likely you will need a 333 exemption AND the owner or the person overseeing the program will have to register themselves with the FAA.

The only people that aren't required to get the 333 exemption is if you're flying it only for hobby or recreation.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/333_faqs/#q3

However everything I said above is opinion formed from information I have available to me and isn't any sort of legal advise. I recommend you speak to appropriate authority to verify what it is you actually need to stay legal. Even though the whole FAA intervention into this hobby is a bunch of overbearing/big brother/tyranny bull poo...IMO

Last edited:
I am starting a club at my high school and was wondering the same thing...
Anyone know if the new rules impact this?

DharanFlyer, I teach at Naperville North! Do you have a club somewhere?