Question for the Tri copter

Lee Butters

Just getting back into rotors had many eflite helis and 2 Swift 16's got out for a while now the now the multi rotor bug has bitten again. I want to build a platform that can eventually be upgraded with the ability to do Arial photography. I also just love fly these type of aircraft even more than fixed wing. I want to start with a basic tri-copter using the electrohub and the Naze32 FCB. This will give me the ability to upgrade if my photo equipment get too heavy to a quad setup rather easily or even the dragon fly which is awesome! Here are my questions.

1. Are the angle arm brackets worth it? Do they really increase stability?
  2. If they do make a difference will I need to lower the tilt servo like I have seen in a couple of videos?
  3. If yes to above How do I lower the the tilt mechanism.
  4. I am thinking of using aluminum tubing instead of 1/2 inch square stock. How long can I make the booms? What is a good length? I would like to maybe go a little longer than the kit on the booms.

I am sure I will have more question as I go but this will get me started so I can order parts. Thank you guys in advance.

fixnfly

When you say aerial photography, what type of equipment are you talking about? It is hard to know how to help without knowing camera size, video or stills, resolution, etc. There are already several good platforms for camera carrying that the flight test crew and others use in productions. If you expect to be able to reuse most of your frame parts when upgrading from a tri to a heavier quad or hex then I think you are in for either a poor performing aircraft or the disappointment of structural failure. These birds are best when designed with a specific flight profile or load carrying task in mind. It can be done, but has drawbacks.

Lee Butters

Probably a go pro type of camera nothing huge this will be just for fun not to make a living off of. I mainly want a tri that is large enough to carry a go pro and maybe an fpv setup. Thank you for helping.