Raspberry Pi DIY Heatsink for Overclocking.

Timmy P

Hey guys I know some of you are using Pis for CNC machines, laser cutting and airplane design.. So I came up with a cheap and easy to build heatsink that is very compact and functional. In the video I show the build process and at the end I put 3 RPIs though a series of stress tests to monitor temps.. Check out the video..

Does anyone use Pi for PDF plan design? What programs are you using?

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
Question, those bolts are made of steel, no? Well, steel isn't a great thermal conductor, it tends to hang on to the heat and stay hot or a long time. it will wick away the heat very well for a while, until it is fully heated. I would recommend aluminum in the future.

Timmy P

I know that perfectly.. But Im not fighting high temps. I can run stress tests for days without going above 66c. So I figured I didn't need to spend money on unnecessary materials.. It works better than some store bought heatsinks, and thats good enough for me :) I wanted it to be inexpensive and I cant find aluminum bolts or 16aug aluminum plate at local hardware stores. That would just add headache to anyone wanting to build it.. Thanks for the tip. Its also painted and has paint between the bolt and nut, that are also going to lessen heat transfer. But as long as I can crank the pi, all is good.

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
seems legit. hey, as long as it works. good luck with the clocking. I should really get my pi hooked up again...