RCExplorer Mini Tricopter Build thread

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
The com port would show COM## in normal mode or DFU for bootloader mode in windows.

Hi LitterBug, The port highlighted in this screenshot opens when I'm connected to the board in BetaFlight. When I'm in DFU/boot mode, no ports open;
dtfc-usb-connected.jpg

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Ken,
I am confused... I thought you were running W8.1, But your screenshots look like linux/unix... The com port would show COM## in normal mode or DFU for bootloader mode in windows. Maybe you have a newer version of the BF configurator than I....

Hi LB, My DTFc is doing the same thing in latest BetaFlight running in the latest Ubuntu. The BetaFlight window says "Are udev rules installed correctly?", but CLI terminal says "Failed to open serial port FILE ERROR ACCESSED DENIED". Not new to Linux but never used it with my flight controllers before. It won't connect to BF or let me flash dRonin in Linux but will still connect to BF in Windows. I'm stuck, should I just go forward with tri in BF, or use different board?
Ken

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hi LB, My DTFc is doing the same thing in latest BetaFlight running in the latest Ubuntu. The BetaFlight window says "Are udev rules installed correctly?", but CLI terminal says "Failed to open serial port FILE ERROR ACCESSED DENIED". Not new to Linux but never used it with my flight controllers before. It won't connect to BF or let me flash dRonin in Linux but will still connect to BF in Windows. I'm stuck, should I just go forward with tri in BF, or use different board?
Ken

Arrrgghhhh.... Hmmmmm.... Lemme grab one of my boards I've never flashed and see what happens for me. Although, this might be a udev rule thing since that is what it is complaining about.... Hmmmmm... Digging....
Ahh... hmmm.

If you are using the portable dRonin package then cd to the directory where you unpacked it and do the following:

Code:
sudo cp rules.udev /etc/udev/rules.d/45-dronin-permissions.rules
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules

I've been using a development build which has a different way to set up the udev rules. Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!
LitterBug

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Arrrgghhhh.... Hmmmmm.... Lemme grab one of my boards I've never flashed and see what happens for me. Although, this might be a udev rule thing since that is what it is complaining about.... Hmmmmm... Digging....
Ahh... hmmm.

I love the sound effects!

If you are using the portable dRonin package then cd to the directory where you unpacked it and do the following:

Code:
sudo cp rules.udev /etc/udev/rules.d/45-dronin-permissions.rules
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules

I've been using a development build which has a different way to set up the udev rules. Let me know if this helps.
Yes to portable, entering code, then back to BetaFlight;

Flashing...

programming:SUCCESSFUL

Back to dRonin, reboot tri,

Hi Doge! I'm dRonin now!!!

Thanks LB!

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
dRonin Autotune Dance

YouTube; Quick flight then dRonin autotune (00:39) on experimental tricopter frame made of polyflex water pipe. You can tell from the audio I have a motor going bad. Will be doing fresh start from defaults soon after replacing the motors.

HUGE THANKS to LitterBug for all the help teaching me about the DTFc board and dRonin!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
kpixels,
Were you flying around in autotune? Autotune should be done in a hover.

Cheers!
LitterBug

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Hi LB, No not intentionally. I wanted some footage from defaults so I flew around first. I didn't flip the mode switch until 39 seconds in the video with it right in front of me.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hey!! look what I just came across. this may be a respectable solution to tail wag. Get rid of the tail servo and use ducted fan hybrid assembly. take what this guy did in his EDF tri and replace your tail motor with a edf then thrust vector for yaw. Its gotta be less intensive to move a "rudder" type assembly then twist the weight of a motor around all the time. I would think that would make tail tuning easier and a bit more accurate maybe?

Anyway this may be a path to look into. I also like he made the front edfs a tilt rotor configurations. I could almost keep orientation as he flew hehe. I do think I would widen the front boom a few inches though. roll looks a little wobbly at high to low speed transitioning.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Speaking of his projects. I came across a video interview of him that Bi Lorentzen did. I posted it up in Vaalleons nanophan thread. Not sure if he ever linked to it before and I missed it or what but was cool to see in high def.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Building an RCExplorer Mini Tri on steroids.
Frame: RCE Explorer Mini Tricopter (rear boom extended 1″ to allow 8″ props)
FC/OSD: AirDTF Seppuku
Firmware: dRonin (with TriFlight 0.5 routines merged)
RX: FrSky R-XSR
PDB: Matek FCHUB-A5
ESCs: Aikon AK32
UBEC: RMRC 6V 3A (servo power)
Servo: BlueBird A207 (feedback wire added)
Tilt: Impossible Tilt https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1035497
Motors: T-Motor F80 1900kv
Props various 6-8″
Batts: various 4-6S
FPV Gear: TBD
Pics and video soon……..

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Managed to get initial LOS flights in and a pair of Autotunes (on native dRonin with no extra tail routines). Was hovering cleanly initially with no obvious oscillations, but once I flipped into autotune mode, it got crazy half way into the tune and I started smelling the motors and brought it down. The uber hot rear motor managed to soften up the PLA rear motor pivot/mount enough while it was hot that it warped while I was checking it out. Replaced the rear motor mount/pivot before giving it another go with a spare I had already printed. Reset everything on the stabilization tab and then set roll/pitch P to 10 and yaw P to 20. Ran another tailtune which completed without an inferno, but the front motors were still pretty warm. Thinking this build may just be a bit over-powered since Hover is only 8%. LOL Will be another good build to test the new Max output % on the outputs tab. Printed up one of the 4 bolt Baby ImpossiTilt motor holders and will swap it out before enabling the TriFlight tail routines and going through the ground and air tailtunes. Once that’s done, time to get the FPV gear on and hit the field for the real testing!

I'm going to look into printing the rear pivot out of higher temp material like PETG and/or Nylon. The real solution is obviously not to overheat the motors, but it would still be nice to not have warpage if it does happen, and I'd like to explore the durability of other materials for the pivot.

Cheers!
LitterBug