Real Paper planes

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hi all I just want to share some pictures of what I like to do in my free time.

making model planes using paper, either regular printer paper, cardstock, or a bit of cardboard. here are a few of my smallest quarter for scale

a a.jpg

a b.jpg

this is the first one I made

c a.jpg

c b.jpg

c c.jpg

c d.jpg

and this is the second

d a.jpg

d b.jpg

d c.jpg

d d.jpg

and this one is the most recent

h a.jpg

h b.jpg

h c.jpg

h d.jpg

what do you all think.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow mate! Those are incredibly detailed AND incredibly small. We need to hire your eyes out to do all the solder work on the micro electronics for people. :p

Great work on them little things. :applause: Do you have templates you print out that have the designs already on them or is all that artsy detail all hand drawn? I would surely like to see a time lapse build video if you are so inclined to make one for us. Will these actually glide if you toss em or maybe rubber band soft launch them? These would be cool and amusing to toss about the living room on bad weather days if they are.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Wow nice! These would be a great way to introduce kids to scratch / kit building.

Yeah before I did RC I would build these and always thought "how cool would these be if they could fly."

then one day I found Flite Test....................

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Another good site to look at is fiddlersgreen.net

They have a LOT of pretty great card models, and I think you can get a few for free just by making an account. I may be wrong, but I believe there are a few people that have done RC models based on the paper design just by blowing up the image and laying it on foam.

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
Yeah before I did RC I would build these and always thought "how cool would these be if they could fly."

HAHA! Well we are SUPER happy to have you a part of the community Grifflyer!!! These little planes are a BEAUT!!! the detail and the compactness is fantastic my friend! Keep doing what your doing cause it is awesome! ;)

Blessings
Stefan

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Nano-RC

Someday we'll be able to fly these remotely. I've seen some tiny "servos" not bigger than a fingernail (basically a wire coil and a magnet. and button retracts that fit in a water bottle cap. It's the radio receiver that seems to be the hurdle. add a whoop motor powered by super capacitor... and you're in business. They would be great Gym Brat Flyers. hmm...

No, I must focus on the FTFC'18 challenge. It will be rolling around in my head.

Great add to the Forum, maybe this'll Start another branch here.

FT-CardFlyers

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Beautiful work! I'll echo Psyborg's ask for some video of how you create these little beauties - I'm interested in the types of tools you use, and how you resist caffeine for days at a time to keep your hands so calm to do this! :p

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Beautiful work! I'll echo Psyborg's ask for some video of how you create these little beauties - I'm interested in the types of tools you use, and how you resist caffeine for days at a time to keep your hands so calm to do this! :p

I think I'll try and do a time lapse, as for tools tacky glue, scissors, tweezers, a toothpick (to spread the glue), and an X-acto knife

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
new plane added to the fleet a SOC Seagull
a.jpg

b.jpg

I tried to do a timelapse but all you can see is my hands. You can really put into perspective how small one of these are.
c.jpg

Bricks

Master member
Simply......Amazing. How sturdy are they there are micro motors and servos that would work in those, may have to a be tad bigger.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Simply......Amazing. How sturdy are they there are micro motors and servos that would work in those, may have to a be tad bigger.
thanks,
to answer your sturdiness question FRAGILE!! those little struts are delicate and the models are quite heavy.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I just downloaded a few of them for when I have a rainy day (basically any day I choose up here in Seattle). Do you recommend a paper weight? I was thinking 32# bond would work for that size.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I just downloaded a few of them for when I have a rainy day (basically any day I choose up here in Seattle). Do you recommend a paper weight? I was thinking 32# bond would work for that size.
I use regular copy paper 20lb, 75gms paper and for the formers I like to glue the part to cardstock/posterboard and cut it out once the glue is done drying.

good luck! and I'd love to see some pictures!

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
The websites that Grifflyer linked at the beginning have the files for download. You print them, cut out the pieces, and assemble.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
New plane entered the fleet this time it's a TBF Avenger
a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

I'm going to make one more before christmas and give all but one away as presents