Recognizing Engine Failure

nickyminaj

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of adv maneuvers as of late and autos in preparation for my stage 3 check, and my private pilot check ride. However I am a little worried that I may fail to enter auto if the examiner chops the throttle. My instructor already has the collective down before I even realize what is going on. What tips do you guys have for early recognition of a simulated engine failure. How did your examiners do the simulated engine failure with you. Did they just chop the throttle and wait for you to respond, or did they say, engine failure, and have you react?

Any idea?

Please help.
Thanks!

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References
http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com
Explainer Video studio

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Welcome to the forum! You might post this in the full-scale area of the forum to get more response. When it comes to preparing for a checkride, always prepare for the worst case, and be pleasantly surprised if that isn't the case. When I was training for my private, my instructor rolled off the throttle without any warning, and expected me to enter an auto accordingly.

The biggest giveaway by far, is the sound and feel. You'll hear the engine noise shift and you'll feel the throttle being twisted to idle by the instructor. Then you'll see the engine RPM needle fall to idle. Be prepared for that to happen at any minute. Be scanning for landing spots, and remember which way the wind was coming from at takeoff.

From my experience, the examiner did chop the throttle, and did so over a nice open field. Be aware of that, the instructor doesn't want to be in an auto over a bad spot to land, so he'll probably do it over a farm field or other clear spot. So, if you see a big field coming up, keep that in the back of your mind.

Good luck on the checkride, and I hope this helped!