Scale Build-Off- ParkflyerPlastics 95" span P-40

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Agreed. There will be plenty of brains to pick about the quirks of giant scale foamy characteristics and more room to let her run up. Perhaps a touch of flaps on the takeoff run would be a good idea too, but we'll see. I've been re-watching this video again of the prototype and pretending I'm on the sticks :)

Looks like he was feeding in a lot of aileron to keep her from lifting the right wing early, but not as much rudder as I would have expected. She still pulled to the left pretty strongly but he had plenty of space to let her climb out.

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Just watched that take-off about 10 times and you are right. Quite a bit of aileron input but I still think you are going to need a bit more rudder to keep course. I think it will be less prevalent on a longer run but for sure keep the speed up to make the tail and tips effective before you ROG.

wilmracer

Mentor
Just watched that take-off about 10 times and you are right. Quite a bit of aileron input but I still think you are going to need a bit more rudder to keep course. I think it will be less prevalent on a longer run but for sure keep the speed up to make the tail and tips effective before you ROG.

I agree. More rudder for sure.

I tracked down the video from the other attempts and re-watched them several times too. I need to let off the back-pressure on the elevator pretty much immediately rather than holding the tailwheel down at the beginning of the run up. Holding any back pressure to keep the tailwheel down just causes her to lift off immediately.

wilmracer

Mentor
So this happened yesterday. Hope to fly again today. Video to come soon

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1524885196180.jpg
    FB_IMG_1524885196180.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1524871044973.jpg
    FB_IMG_1524871044973.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That shot of the underside really makes it look angry. When will we see some video from you guys? will we have to wait til after you return home?

wilmracer

Mentor
That shot of the underside really makes it look angry. When will we see some video from you guys? will we have to wait til after you return home?

Yeah... Probably no video tonight or tomorrow. We will be heading out super early tomorrow am and have about 13 hours to drive to make it back to my place. Then Joshua has another hour to go, and we both have to work Monday :-/

I know I have a ton of video to edit but we'll get it up soon :)

wilmracer

Mentor
Flew her again :) of course video cut off before the landing (but caught several unintended touch and goes). She is ready to be loaded up and and made pretty again

Namactual

Elite member
Man that looks soooo good in the air, I just love the P-40.(y)

Congratulations on the successful flight, I can not wait to see the vid!

wilmracer

Mentor
So I'm trying to grab some sleep before an early departure from SEFF but I just saw some great shots taken by John Morgan during today's flight.

Attachments

• IMG_3745.jpg
    IMG_3745.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3751.JPG
    IMG_3751.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3754.JPG
    IMG_3754.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3758.JPG
    IMG_3758.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3759.JPG
    IMG_3759.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3766.JPG
    IMG_3766.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3769.jpg
    IMG_3769.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3774.JPG
    IMG_3774.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3780.jpg
    IMG_3780.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3785.jpg
    IMG_3785.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
wow nice shots. I like the two with the water in the background. Makes it really stand out so you can see the details. Congratz on success!(y)

wilmracer

Mentor
Thanks all!

Here is the uncut maiden video. Of course there was music in the distance and YouTube has already flagged it with a copyright claim. I've disputed it, but it will likely be a month before the video is available in Europe :rolleyes:

BIG thanks to Fred Provost for the great camera work and to Joshua Orchard for spotting and keeping my head on straight through the flight.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Whew! That stall on the tailwind turn after the first landing pass was spooky! I do believe I lost two Caudrons to that particular issue and I'm really glad you pulled the P-40 out safely. I need to learn that technique!

wilmracer

Mentor
Whew! That stall on the tailwind turn after the first landing pass was spooky! I do believe I lost two Caudrons to that particular issue and I'm really glad you pulled the P-40 out safely. I need to learn that technique!

Yeah... In the moment it didn't fully register to me how close that was. Watching the video is when I really saw how bad it was. I think the really high thrust to weight ratio is what allowed me to recover. I got lucky that I didn't hit those trees though... they are closer than they look.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I wonder if you're running a lower kV motor or a lower pitched prop than I was. Did you help me pull the Caudron out of the tree on the west end of Poplar Ford runway? The behavior of that crash seemed exactly like the P-40. I had a pretty aggressive prop on at the time - 10x7 I think, so not so much on the low end thrust as it needed time to unload when I punched it.