Scratch Builders in Puerto Rico

Mannypac

Hello! My name is Manuel and I am interested in finding other Scratch Builders in Puerto Rico to share this experience.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
I've been to your island twice... If I ever get back there I'll look you up!

pandamanda22

I was just there visiting my brother in law a few weeks ago. He hasn't been able to find any foamboard. I took pre-cut foamboard in my suitcase for him to be able to build over there. Have any clue where he can get over there? I'll show him this thread :D

lancebbowman

My mother's side of the family lives in Boqueron! I get to the island once every few years and I love it. Next time I'm there I'll look for you:)

Mannypac

Where to get Foam Board in Puerto Rico

I was just there visiting my brother in law a few weeks ago. He hasn't been able to find any foamboard. I took pre-cut foamboard in my suitcase for him to be able to build over there. Have any clue where he can get over there? I'll show him this thread :D

Thanks for the reply. I am Useing Crayola Form Board from Walgreens it is 22" x 28" x 3/16". I am also experimenting with Foam Board I found in "All for a Dollar Store". These are 20" x 30" x 3/16". I have just cut out the Nutball to see how it flies. I will let you know which is better. I also purchased from LazerToyz the Scratch Build Kit and electronics. Let your brother know that he is not alone. If there is anything I do- just let me know. By the way, where in PR does your brother live? I am in Isabela. Regards, Manny from Puerto Rico

Mannypac

Glad to hear you have been to the island. I live in Isabela. It is on the North West part of the island. Just let me know when you return and I will more than happen to meet and talk about Scratch Builds. Regards, Manny from Puerto Rico

Mannypac

Hi! I live in Isabela which is on the North West part of the Island. If you let me know when you are around, I would be happen to go to Boqreron to meet you. Regards, Manny from Puerto Rico

pandamanda22

Thanks for the reply. I am Useing Crayola Form Board from Walgreens it is 22" x 28" x 3/16". I am also experimenting with Foam Board I found in "All for a Dollar Store". These are 20" x 30" x 3/16". I have just cut out the Nutball to see how it flies. I will let you know which is better. I also purchased from LazerToyz the Scratch Build Kit and electronics. Let your brother know that he is not alone. If there is anything I do- just let me know. By the way, where in PR does your brother live? I am in Isabela. Regards, Manny from Puerto Rico

My brother lives in the Sabana Grande area. Where is this "All for a Dollar Store" at? Because the foamboard at walmart that we have seen is smaller and more expensive than regular foamboard. I'll tell him to check out Walgreens.

n0glow

There are a few of us doing the foam scratchbuild thing throughout the island. The group I fly with (Arecibo/Los Pinos) is very active with "scratchbuild" foam and electrics. We started with the RC Powers designs but we've transitioned to other designers like FRC Foamies, and others. I'm currently cutting my first Flite Test plans; an FT3D and FT Cruiser for myself and an FT Dusty for a friend. One of the guys in our group has even started doing his own true scratchbuild foamie (non-plan based) designs. There are also individual flyers doing the foam scratchbuilt thing at the Moca/Labadie club near where you live and in the other clubs throughout the island.

At the Arecibo/Los Pinos "club", we flow mostly off grass but we use the access road as a runway (beware of the plane-eating curbs). We're able to use the access road because it's only used by us and a handful of employees of an incinerator that is down the road from us. We're not a formal club so there are no dues or membership fees, and the group welcomes anyone to come fly with us. We fly in an empty industrial lots in the Santana Industrial Park (next to a pacemaker factory/incinerator/AEE warehouse). We usually meet Sundays after 1:00 PM. You can reach the field from Road #2 entering by industrial lot of black plastic drainage tubes; not too far from the Arecibo Airport and next to "Urbanizacion Los Pinos". Since we're near the airport we usually have to keep below the 400' altitude but that's usually not a problem with the planes we fly there. The local airport knows about us so and some of the local (real aircraft) pilots even fly RC with our group.

Regarding the foam... None of the local Hobby Shops in Puerto Rico seem to sell Depron or EPP foam. Some of the locals that build with foam use foamboard bought from Walgreens, Walmart, CVS or OfficeMax, with and without paper removed. The brands of foamboard I've found locally are the types that have the difficult to remove paper. I did my first builds with foamboard but I didn't like the weight penalty and it was too much work to remove the paper so I started buying foam by the case or half case (20 or 10 sheets) from rcfoam.com. The shipping is $30-40 per case but I resell some of it to other locals at cost (sheet cost + shipping). The price per sheet is between $9 and $14 depending on the size of the case I order and the shipping cost of the particular order.

Once I run out of the current case of Depron I have in-stock, I'm going to order a box of XPS foam (same foam as Model Plane Foam/MPF) from RC Foam. If this foam works well, it will cut in half our cost per sheet. Due to USPS dimensional shipping rules, the cost of shipping is almost the same if you order 1 sheet or 10 ($30+). RC Foam quoted me $13.99 shipping for the 16 sheet case of XPS foam but I wouldn't be surprised if that's a shopping cart error and they latter come back with a higher shipping cost.

Mannypac

I have tried the Crayola Foam Board and it seems to work better than the other one. It is heavier and not to easy to cut but you can sand off any problems. I expect to fly this weekend my Nutball and possibly my FT Flyer. I will keep you posted. Manuel from Puerto Rico

Mannypac

The Arecibo/Los Pinos group is really good. I had a little trouble finding them but I finally got there. Wow! They have planes and copters. They are very friendly and willing to help with information on builds and general data. If you have an chance, go see them. I hope to be with them this coming Sunday to see if I can fly my Nutball and FT Flyer. I hope to tale videos of my first Flite. Regards, Manny from Puerto Rico

Snowfox50

Hello! not sure if this post is dead or not but im looking for a nice place thats calm and i could learn flying with foam planes?