Servo Arms

SykoSponge

I am just starting out in the hobby with my brother-in-law. We are both building a Tiny trainer on the weekends, but i wanted something much smaller to mess with. I decided to give a go at scaling down the FT Flyer to 60%. It turned out great so far had to make a few tweaks to fit electronics in, but i am happy.

My question is how do you determine which servo arm and servo hole to use for something there is no plan for? I don't want to guess and cut up a servo arm and realize it doesn't work. Or does it not matter as long at the arm is going the right way.

Thanks in advance

20171018_080457.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Nice question but the answer is much bigger than you might expect.

The servo output arm, pushrod, control horn and control surface are something that you need to consider as something serving a single purpose and there are many things to consider as much of the setup is dependent upon the setup of the other components.

Firstly you will need to know how much control surface deflection you are trying to achieve and the force required for the deflection.
Next to consider is the strength or the pushrod or rather its rigidity as well as its straightness and length.
What control horn clearances and size
Clearance or available room for the servo output arm to operate within.

The factors effecting the whole design or setup are the required control surface deflection, the travel range of the servo output arm and the rigidity of the pushrod. Consider the pushrod flexibility and its effect upon the whole setup. If it is very rigid the pushrod will flex very little of even not at all and so it can handle short but powerful movement ranges. If the pushrod is light and a little flexible then it would be preferable to use long and less powerful movement ranges so that the compression forces are lower and any flex will have less effect in varying the position of the control surface.

Once you have determined the amount of pushrod movement you want for your design and the control surface deflection you require you can start connecting things.

With a lot of pushrod movement, (weak or flexible pushrod), I start out with the pushrod connected into the control horn in the hole closest to the hinge line of the control surface and conversely where I have a short pushrod travel I use the hole in the control horn furthermost from the control surface hinge line.

With the control horn connected and knowing the required deflection for the control surface I then fit the other end of the pushrod to the servo output arm required to give the correct deflection range for the control surface.

As a rule I try to keep my pushrod movements with a little flexibility but not too much, (helps reduce servo gear stripping on impact, note helps reduce NOT stop all together). Other installations where I would recommend large amounts of pushrod movement are installations where the pushrod has a bend or curve which is used to exit the pushrod from the fuselage.

As for my control horn and servo sizes t tend to use sizes that are in keeping with the overall size of the model.

I hope this doesn't leave you more confused than before but it is just a few of the considerations and thought processes I use in my designing the control setups for the models I design and sell.

Have fun!

SykoSponge

Thanks for the info Hai.
That definitely made my head hurt, a bit of info overload. I had to read it a few times but i get it... mostly. I am using the FT Mini control horns, so i don't have much choice there for adjustment. I made my Rudder control a straight shot, no flex and only a few degrees off horizontal. My elevator on the other hand is rubbing on the back side of the wing. My main thing for now is just a proof of concept for a 390mm Wingspan FT Flyer. I should not need much throw i am thinking, but as i have yet to fly a DTFB airframe i could be way off. Sadly i don't have my Electronics on hand to see how much effort it will take to move the control surfaces. I should be able to power everything up tomorrow afternoon to see if my servo arm choice works or if they need to be swapped.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
One thing I did not mention before is that for MY OWN PERSONAL USAGE I normally set the control surface deflections to be slightly more than normal or recommended and set dual rates for the recommended deflections on high rate and about 60% on low rate. This gives me a range of control inputs that I can use to assess the models performance. The rate settings are normally ajusted after the first couple of flights to "Dial in" the performance I expect or can control easily.

Just one last thing is that the control deflections for the same model made out of different materials are almost always identical as the control deflections are an aerodynamic measure and have noting to do with the materials used in construction.

Have fun!

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
Overly complicated for a FT Flyer. Bottom hole on the servo arm, make sure they move up and down and in the correct direction. If you can adjust the throws on your radio start with small movements and adjust from there.