Share your FliteFest stories

setherson24135

Wanabe care bear
Hey guys,
I'm CrashRecovery's son. I had an awesome time meeting everyone and just had an incredible time this whole weekend. I thought a good topic for my first ever post would be to start this thread. I'll put my story in later but I think we need to share our stories. From epic wins to epic fails. So come on gang lets see them.

earthsciteach

Hey, Seth! Glad you guys made it home safe. The weather was a bit of a bear on the drive home. I'll add in my stories (so many) later, as well.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I started off as a kid with a cox control line plane. It was plastic and then I moved to a balsa one. Both had .049 engines that were loud! I tried moving to RC but after crashing I gave it up for girls, cars and car stereos.

After going to college, getting married and having two kids I needed an outlet for my hands and brain. I got back in through RealFlight. I have odd favorites that I knew would never be modeled so I taught myself 3D modeling and used my physics knowledge to get my favorite planes into RF to fly.

After I got a mortgage I got back to flying real stuff with a parkzone corsair. It came back naturally and started doing real builds of my favorites. I had a co-worker at the time who encouraged me to build with composites as he is a sailplane guy. I was amazed at the ease of construction and the frugal nature of it. He gave every question great patience as he responded. I attribute most of my building skills now to him. I've now taken the approach that I like to build more than I like to fly. Its a great outlet and helps me relax. It sounds nuts but I love rivets and panel lines. Very therapeutic for me. While I do own several ARFs My builds get far more attention than my club's field.

My first encounter with FT was their very first episode and I loved it. I'm a scale builder with no use for the style of airplanes they put out or the copters that are shown but its all so entertaining that I watch and listen to everything. I knew that FTFF was going to be a great event. It far exceeded my expectations. As a volunteer, I was constantly looking for and found ways to help others. Every moment I was "taking a break" I was talking to friendly folks and answering questions about my models or just exchanging a good joke. The environment is so family-friendly that I have no reservations about having so many kids there. It was pure pleasure to camp right by the beginner flight line. The resolve for people (adults and kids) to crash and be so excited to try again was inspiring.

setherson24135

Wanabe care bear
We came up on Wednesday and volunteered to help around. We had a good night sleep and were ready for the car ride up. The car ride was a breeze. We came up with Patrick and Viking. When we got in Ohio we met up with Fred, Matt, Dale, Eric, David. The first night was cold but the night after that was freezing. When Friday came we got a radian and 6 speed build kits. The week had its UPS and downs like everything in thing world. The most amazing thing we did was make the 307% Ft flyer. Also we got to be on a episode with..... oh who is it, that's right Josh and Alex.( Flying monkey) So that was my highlights of flitefest!!!.

Trimax

glad to see all you guys made it back wish i could have been there for the Giant FT Flyer final Launch
either was was great meeting you guys and had a great time building in the hanger Saturday

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Wait the Flyer is stating to scale up like a fishing story ;)

Yeah Thursday night was cold!

The highlight besides all meeting and working with the volunteer crew was to finally shake Chris Roncaglione hand. Chris and I have been chatting on Tweeter for weeks and he won't take no for an answer.

I am so glad things worked out and I got to drive down to Ohio.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
One highlight was having Josh B. fly my Balsa Baby Blender (and much better than I can, i must add.), but honestly, I saw a video today of one of the Live streams where I saw another Baby Blender Fly. A family a couple tents down from me just put together a BB, but didn't know how or where to put the landing gear. I gave them a zip tie and showed them where to put them...then realised they didn't have any wheels or wire. I had a set I wasn't using and let them have them. On the LiveStream video, I saw them flying the plane! Awesome job guys!

That being said, everyone there certainly wanted to help others have a great weekend. My story will probably be repeated by hundreds of others that did likewise. I was just happy to be a small part of it.

dholcomb

A great showing of Hospitality...

One highlight was having Josh B. fly my Balsa Baby Blender (and much better than I can, i must add.), but honestly, I saw a video today of one of the Live streams where I saw another Baby Blender Fly. A family a couple tents down from me just put together a BB, but didn't know how or where to put the landing gear. I gave them a zip tie and showed them where to put them...then realised they didn't have any wheels or wire. I had a set I wasn't using and let them have them. On the LiveStream video, I saw them flying the plane! Awesome job guys!

That being said, everyone there certainly wanted to help others have a great weekend. My story will probably be repeated by hundreds of others that did likewise. I was just happy to be a small part of it.

And a BIG thumbs up to you Sir. It was great to meet and talk with you some about building with balsa. I enjoyed balsa building also some years ago and do intend to get back to it again one day. While we were talking I mentioned that I was going to build a Bloody Wonder when I got home and you gracefully handed me a complete airframe to take with me. I will complete it now that I am home and do something special with the graphics. I will send you a picture when finished. Thank you for your kindness to me and others. You are a perfect example of what this community is all about.

David (Beanie Hat) Holcomb... ;)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I just saw the Flyer video.
I got goose bumps when you guys mentioned my name.
THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Going to have to watch the video again!

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Wait the Flyer is stating to scale up like a fishing story ;)

Yeah Thursday night was cold!

The highlight besides all meeting and working with the volunteer crew was to finally shake Chris Roncaglione hand. Chris and I have been chatting on Tweeter for weeks and he won't take no for an answer.

I am so glad things worked out and I got to drive down to Ohio.

Dan reran the numbers

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
And a BIG thumbs up to you Sir. It was great to meet and talk with you some about building with balsa. I enjoyed balsa building also some years ago and do intend to get back to it again one day. While we were talking I mentioned that I was going to build a Bloody Wonder when I got home and you gracefully handed me a complete airframe to take with me. I will complete it now that I am home and do something special with the graphics. I will send you a picture when finished. Thank you for your kindness to me and others. You are a perfect example of what this community is all about.

David (Beanie Hat) Holcomb... ;)

You are very welcome, Sir! I look Forward to your picture!

earthsciteach

510thousandths - thank you for letting me fly your Alula! That thing is a blast! It was great meeting you. Everything seems like such a blur, looking back on it. So many things to say that it is hard to focus on one thing long enough to type it down. I'll have to take another day to process, I guess.

Lucius

I thought this would be a good thread to post my thoughts on the event. I was only able to make it for one day, but it was a really great day. I arrived on Saturday and loved every minute I spent there. I got to meet a lot of people from the FliteTest family. Not only did I fly my quads around a bit, I also enjoyed helping a fellow pilot sort out some issues he was having with a tricopter. I came home with some great memories, two new kits, some FPV gear and a sunburn. Guess I need to bring one of those canopies next year. For as many people there, I never felt like I had to wait to fly. My hat's off to everyone involved. It was a wonderful event. I only wish I could've been there longer.