Size 36: The build of an 18' B-36

b-29er

My Fiance and I actually just got back from a trip to Dayton to see the B-36 they had there. There's an App that the museum has called Cockpit 360. The app has 360 degree photos of the interior of various aircraft in the collection, including the B-36. Maybe worth a look if you're interested.
Nice! Downloaded the app, its really cool!

18 foot wing huh? This should be very interesting, and it is nice to see another American bomber like mine. Best of luck!
Thanks! May need it. In the process of moving as i found a new job. Should start on building when that is done, prob within 3 wks

b-29er

So, this is what progress looks like.
32385.jpeg

This is an 11.5" diameter tube, 18" long, unsupported and made from 1/2" pink foam. Doesn't seem like much but this is the proof of concept for the construction method/material that will be used on the fuselage, which should be seeing some major work done in the next week.

Hey there b-29er I Have some large scale B-36 plans if you'd like me to send them to you
Heck, i'll take any kind of reference material i can get my mitts on. Thanks!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
This is an 11.5" diameter tube, 18" long, unsupported and made from 1/2" pink foam. Doesn't seem like much but this is the proof of concept for the construction method/material that will be used on the fuselage, which should be seeing some major work done in the next week.

Nice! Taped? Scored? Glued? What's the secret sauce? ;)

DamoRC

b-29er

Nice! Taped? Scored? Glued? What's the secret sauce? ;)

DamoRC
Scored every inch on the inside, roughly 1/4" deep with a single pass from a back saw, parallel to the circumference. Packing tape (non fiber) wrapped around the circumference of the outside, each strip at least touching if not overlapping. May use some glue in the scores, but i have not as of this moment, trying to keep weight down a bit. I get the feeling 55lb is going to creep up awful quick on this scale.Was originally going to use balsa to create a box in the middle of the fuse for strength, but i think two inches of foam and some home depot rulers should be plenty strong. Will be some foam (or in places wooden) circular formers dividing the bomb bay and turret sections, though turrets may be an afterthought for the moment.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Scored every inch on the inside, roughly 1/4" deep with a single pass from a back saw, parallel to the circumference. Packing tape (non fiber) wrapped around the circumference of the outside, each strip at least touching if not overlapping. May use some glue in the scores, but i have not as of this moment, trying to keep weight down a bit. I get the feeling 55lb is going to creep up awful quick on this scale.Was originally going to use balsa to create a box in the middle of the fuse for strength, but i think two inches of foam and some home depot rulers should be plenty strong.

Thanks for the info - and more power to your patience! Looking forward to seeing more as she grows (and grows...)

DamoRC

b-29er

And here we have...a slightly bigger tube.
20180606_233027.jpg
courtesy of some home depot rulers, a drill press, an entire roll of tape and fishing line, here is the fuselage tube.

b-29er

Love it!

Fishing line?

DamoRC

There was roughly a 0% chance of me bending an 8ft tube by myself, so i drilled a hole every inch into four yardsticks and glued them to the edges of the bomb bay. Ran fishing line through every other hole like a shoelace and pulled it tight until the bomb bay got to the clearance i wanted. Currently a few pieces of packing tape are holding it until i can glue in some formers. I'll probably use the same technique on the tail cone but instead gluing the rulers to protrude from the outside, pulling taught with fishing line and gluing it together. Once the fuselage is able to hold its own shape i'll cut the excess ruler with a dremel or something.

Last edited:

b-29er

I am... Just... In awe...
This is going to be at FF Ohio, correct?...
That's the goal, kilroy. Will be working on the tail cone next, i need to order servos and a handful of BECS, and figure out what i'm using for a radio. I flew a few models on my FRSKY DJT last year and they wound up browning out, so that's not happening.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
That's the goal, kilroy. Will be working on the tail cone next, i need to order servos and a handful of BECS, and figure out what i'm using for a radio. I flew a few models on my FRSKY DJT last year and they wound up browning out, so that's not happening.

What receiver did you use?

If you can move to the XJT, I swear by the X8R. I flew Kevin Matusik's Raiden in the World Record Flight in 2016 on an X8R and never had even a tiny glitch. Telemetry log afterwards showed RSSI never dropped below 60.

b-29er

What receiver did you use?

If you can move to the XJT, I swear by the X8R. I flew Kevin Matusik's Raiden in the World Record Flight in 2016 on an X8R and never had even a tiny glitch. Telemetry log afterwards showed RSSI never dropped below 60.

I've had a few, i want to say i had an issue with a D8R-II at one point, but i think i also had an issue with one of the smaller ones for multirotors. Both ended in an irrepairable crash. I'll look at an XJT system, time to upgrade anywho

Also, if anyone feels like helping out, i could use some help designing the gear/retracts and flap mechanisms. Just shoot me a PM

b-29er

Its wing spar day. In the (likely) event of a crash, copious amounts of home depot rulers will be included in the wreckage for crash investigatiom and/or audience rating purposes.

Will be working most of the day, these are the rear spars. Fwd spars are on the bench now.

Attachments

• 20180616_112424.jpg
    20180616_112424.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180615_204410.jpg
    20180615_204410.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Pigfarm1403

Builder
My involvement with the project has slowly decreased in the last few weeks with this one. I will be making two tiny scale fighter to fit into the bomb bay, the f-84 and the adorable f-85. As well as this I will be making a 7ft wingspan t-28 trojan to fly in formation with this. Although the scale will be horribly off lol. B-29er has been doing a fantastic job and I thing that this is going to be the greatest plane to ever show up at a flite fest event.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
As well as this I will be making a 7ft wingspan t-28 trojan to fly in formation with this. Although the scale will be horribly off lol. B-29er has been doing a fantastic job and I thing that this is going to be the greatest plane to ever show up at a flite fest event.

I think a 7ft T-28 will a great achievment in its own right! Best of luck!

DamoRC

b-29er

My involvement with the project has slowly decreased in the last few weeks with this one. I will be making two tiny scale fighter to fit into the bomb bay, the f-84 and the adorable f-85. As well as this I will be making a 7ft wingspan t-28 trojan to fly in formation with this. Although the scale will be horribly off lol. B-29er has been doing a fantastic job and I thing that this is going to be the greatest plane to ever show up at a flite fest event.

You didn't have much of a choice in it, you lost access to the tools your school was providing. Stuff happens. You still contributed a lot with initial consultation and taking those pictures of the b-36 at the museum, and i appreciate that immensely. Those have already been passed onto a buddy of mine who designed the nosecone, and will be used for the post-flitefest revision of this aircraft with more bells and whistles. Best of luck on your projects!