Soldering irons

docque

What is everyone using for a soldering iron. I am looking for an adjustable one to replace my Walmart special. Looking at a Weller WLC100. I runs about $50.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Well, I wanted an adjustable iron, and seeing as how I was ALSO going to be using this for building some Arduino circuitry, I opted to buy a nice soldering station. Did a little Google-Fu and came up with the Hakko FX-888D, which, on Amazon was $100, but when I went to check it out at Fry's, was down to $60 with an in-store coupon. Came with the brass Brillo pad cleaner, a sponge and sponge holder area, a stand, and it's adjustable from 250 all the way up to 750 degrees. Absolutely love it, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's for everyone; it's more of a workhorse, and I bought it because it was too good a deal to pass up when I wanted something better than the $5 Harbor Freight piece of junk soldering iron that would only intermittently heat up on me...LOL

jtrops

I have a Weller wes50 that has been beaten up, and used a lot for years. It is still going strong, and has been very reliable. The tips are very easy to replace with a threaded collar. The current model is wes51, but it looks pretty much the same.

I have a hot air soldering station for SMD's in the mail at the moment, and it has an iron as well. Depending on how well it works I may end up putting the wes50 into backup use so I don't have to have twice as many tools sitting on the bench.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have the Weller WES51, it's great.

LOL I just realized this is the one my dad bought recently...I probably would've gone this route if I could've found it locally (and the Hakko I bought hadn't been on sale for only $10 more with the brass cleaner, and a digital readout). Works well for the price!