SP0NZ - Plans Index

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
@Endrju,

As a scratch builder and tiled plan user myself, I can definitely understand and empathize with your request. It probably seems like a very simple request, and in theory if is. However, the practical application is not so simple. It will take a lot of work to incorporate this into the current format/template that I am using. It is possible, but I'm wondering how many people would actually use it?

The current tile size is 7.5 X 10.5 (190.5 X 266.7) which can be printed on ANSI A/US Letter or ISO A4 without scaling. If I were to add a larger tile size, I would likely go with 15 x 10.5 (381 X 266.7). That would allow printing on ANSI B/US Ledger or ISO A3 without scaling. There is wasted space with this layout, but it is the best compromise I can think of to avoid making 5 sets of plans for each design. Would that work for your needs?

Hi Dan, can you please add tilled plans for FT Explorer in A3 size? Thank you

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Cool looking Barons! I probably should have went with a darker shade of red, but that still looks pretty cool. Nice work.

Thanks Dan for red Bloody Baron graphics!! I attached a couple of pictures of the two new Bloody Barons. Will maiden both once the weather decides to cooperate!! Appreciate all that you are doing for everyone in the FT community, it means a lot to all of us!!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Do you collect Balsa retro plans or just the FT designs?

Have fun!

Not sure what you mean? I'm not really collecting the plans here. I drawn them, layout the sheets, tile them, and share them with the community. The only plans listed here are plans that I have drawn and/or redrawn for Flite Test, and a few other community designers. Are you asking if I would redraw some retro balsa plans for you?

ARE

Hi Dan,

Did you get a chance to look at the motor pod mounting holes on the DR1 fuselage? :)

Thanks!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Not asking for you to do such a task for me though should you be interested I do have quite a few already done. If anyone wants such plans I will forward them to you for their convenience if acceptable to you that is!

Have fun!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Yes. Version 1.1 of the DR1 plans have been uploaded. I will get the updated files to Flite Test and hopefully they can replace there links as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Dan,

Did you get a chance to look at the motor pod mounting holes on the DR1 fuselage? :)

Thanks!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
UPDATED PLANS:

Both the FT Mini DR1 and the FT Mini SE5 plans have been updated to v1.1. The skewer holes were missing on the fuselage parts for both designs.

Endrju

Yea that could work. If I could pick between printing on A4 or A3 and then stencling sheets together i would go logically with A3. So if it would be possible also in the future to have new plans also in the A3 format it would be great :). Thank you man.
@Endrju,

As a scratch builder and tiled plan user myself, I can definitely understand and empathize with your request. It probably seems like a very simple request, and in theory if is. However, the practical application is not so simple. It will take a lot of work to incorporate this into the current format/template that I am using. It is possible, but I'm wondering how many people would actually use it?

The current tile size is 7.5 X 10.5 (190.5 X 266.7) which can be printed on ANSI A/US Letter or ISO A4 without scaling. If I were to add a larger tile size, I would likely go with 15 x 10.5 (381 X 266.7). That would allow printing on ANSI B/US Ledger or ISO A3 without scaling. There is wasted space with this layout, but it is the best compromise I can think of to avoid making 5 sets of plans for each design. Would that work for your needs?

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I've spent about 10 hours reworking my template to include 15 in. x 10.5 in. (381 mm x 267 mm) tiles! I will be testing this very soon, but it looks promising. The tile sets will be called by the US equivalent sizes (A-Size and B-Size tiles) to keep things simple. A-Size will print to ANSI A (US Letter) and ISO A4 paper sizes as usual (no change from current format). B-Size will print to ANSI B (US Ledger) and ISO A3 paper sizes.

I will need to run this past FliteTest to see if the want to include the new tile size with the free plans linked in the build articles. Regardless, I will have the B-Size tile sets hosted here in this forum post.

Stay tuned, I should have more to share on this very soon. Thanks.

Yea that could work. If I could pick between printing on A4 or A3 and then stencling sheets together i would go logically with A3. So if it would be possible also in the future to have new plans also in the A3 format it would be great :). Thank you man.

Endrju

Wow! That's excellent job! Never thought that it could be such time consuming.. Many many thanks! :)

I've spent about 10 hours reworking my template to include 15 in. x 10.5 in. (381 mm x 267 mm) tiles! I will be testing this very soon, but it looks promising. The tile sets will be called by the US equivalent sizes (A-Size and B-Size tiles) to keep things simple. A-Size will print to ANSI A (US Letter) and ISO A4 paper sizes as usual (no change from current format). B-Size will print to ANSI B (US Ledger) and ISO A3 paper sizes.

I will need to run this past FliteTest to see if the want to include the new tile size with the free plans linked in the build articles. Regardless, I will have the B-Size tile sets hosted here in this forum post.

Stay tuned, I should have more to share on this very soon. Thanks.

JMBadger

Glad to see the Simple Cub is on your index.
If you want, you can change the year to 2017. Completely up to you, of course.
And thank you for your hard work and tons of time you dedicate to this!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Change the year...no idea what you are talking about. ;)

Thanks for the kind words. I'm happy to be able to give something back to this amazing community.

Glad to see the Simple Cub is on your index.
If you want, you can change the year to 2017. Completely up to you, of course.
And thank you for your hard work and tons of time you dedicate to this!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The FT Simple Cub will be the first plan set to see the new B-Size tiles. Please take a look and let me know if that works for you. Then I can see about getting the Explorer done.

Wow! That's excellent job! Never thought that it could be such time consuming.. Many many thanks! :)

Votey

I just finished the FT Explorer using your plans. What a pleasure they are to work with! Thank you, Dan.

How many sheets of DTFB do you estimate the Simple Cub to require, if I only build the three-channel wing? I have two sheets at home and would like to be ready when the plans go up.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
FT Simple Cub links are now live! Build video and article should be coming sometime today. Enjoy!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I just finished the FT Explorer using your plans. What a pleasure they are to work with! Thank you, Dan.

How many sheets of DTFB do you estimate the Simple Cub to require, if I only build the three-channel wing? I have two sheets at home and would like to be ready when the plans go up.

It's going to be at least 3 sheets and probably a little more.

ericemn

Floats?

Thanks, have you seen, or heard about the float plans yet? Just wondering if any type of strengthening will be needed for the float attachments...